“Beautiful, clean and amazing views”
Review of Volcano Hotel

Volcano Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Banos
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I've stayed in Volcano Hotel on three different occasions, and so this time when I came back to Baños after seven years I had it already decided which place I would stay in.The Hotel is just beautiful, the rooms have plenty of space, amazing view from the balcony, pool and jacuzzi to relax. You really get what you pay for. And the breakfast is almost like a brunch! So like in the past, next time I get to visit Baños, Volcano is my place no doubt about it!

He tenido la oportunidad de quedarme en este hotel cada vez que he ido a visitar Baños. El hotel es simplemente hermoso, los cuartos son amplios, las vistas lindisimas y tienes la piscina y el jacuzzi para relajarte después de un día de actividades en la ciudad. Encantada de volver a pasar las vacaciones allí!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank katriran

Reviewed 22 July 2012

We stayed at Volcano Hotel for four nights and were very happy with the decision. It is very well-priced, but clean and friendly and everything that we needed. They even have a small pool out back so if we did a morning activity, could relax by the pool w a book for a couple hours before dinner.

It's an easy walk to everything you need in Banos.

We arrived in Banos a night prior to our reservation and Volcano Hotel was full, so we spent one night at one of the "family resorts" close to the hot springs (I forget its name, but if i remembered would give it 1 star). Oh my the difference! Those family resorts are more expensive yet very dingy. Volcano Hotel is everything you could ask for from a higher mid range hotel.

I found the service great - although I speak some Spanish and am unsure if they have much staff that speaks English as my boyfriend generally needed to pull me in when asking questions.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary L
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We arrived sans reservation and the hostess gave us the gringo special of $140 for a room for four, taxes included - this is $35 / person so obviously no complaints. If you feel like stepping one level above the hostals, which appeared to have some nice options in town, this is a good choice. The view is wonderful, the pool was clean - one complaint is they need three hours notice to fire up the hot tub! Anyway, she was a bit disturbed with us quietly drinking on the shared balcony, but other than that, no issues. Breakfast included. They also stored our gear and allowed us to use the pool shower late in the afternoon after we had already checked out.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jimmy F
Reviewed 3 June 2012

As part of a group we arrived a bit late as we were seeing so many things on the way. This hotel is clean, perfectly located in the town and provides excellent sleeping arrangement's, breakfast a bit spartan but all was good - well staffed and I always felt safe here.

I would recommend this as a good place to "hang your hat" when visiting all the things to see in and around Banos and then go have a thermal bath!

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs on the mountain side - beautiful view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ADragonFlyTravels
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Safe Place in the Night.
It must have been close to midnight when my wife and I found our way to the Volcano Hotel.
Reservations were made on recommendations that it was a safe place to check into on our first time in Banos.
The street entrance to the hotel at night was eerie, quiet, dark, lonely, not a soul in sight. The uneven curved roads lead to a beautiful walled in hotel hosting a narrow gated drive thru entrance onto the well maintained grounds. It was late night and cloudy so it was not easy to see clearly but I saw enough to tell this was a decent, safe place to crash for at least the night.
The room was clean with a closet, small dresser, and a little writing table w/chair, plenty of hot water, just enough linen and a safe box. The rooms and bathroom seemed to be a little small for the price. I had to step down to go to the bathroom from the bedroom area, a tricky step in the dark. There was no top sheet between you and the comforter. The restroom was short on toilet tissue, and, there was no problem eventually providing some; I just would have liked it, had the staff considered the gravity of the situation, and responded with a little more promptness. The door to our room was right next to the reception desk so the office and our room shared a wall. When we opened the door, other guests could see everything we owned. Not a preferred room.
We could have had any of the larger, quieter, better rooms with views in the upper rear section of the hotel but; I had packed enough heavy bags to go on a safari, and with no staff offering to help I decided to drag the bags to the closest room (ground floor next to reception office) from where our pickup was parked, and crash there for the night.
The next morning we went for the free self service breakfast. The dining room was very nice with a pleasant atmosphere surrounded by views of the waterfall and swimming pool area. The food was good, fresh, with the usual coffee, milk, yogurt, juices and the service offered to have eggs cooked for us if we wished.
Over all it’s a good hotel. You can be assured that you and your family’s needs will be adequately met. However, we did not feel comfortable there (we like being pampered on vacation). If you like solitude, prefer to be left alone to do things for yourself this place will be ok for you. See picture of car parking lot from bedroom window at sunrise.

Room Tip: Don't choose the ground floor room next to reception desk unless it's free.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank el lazaro p
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Nice room. Clean! Also rhe rooms have a little loft with an extra bed. Hot water in the shower! Internet! Pool and hot tub. Walking distance to all the action. Secure compound to park the car.

Breakfast was included. They made us up some fresh scrambled eggs and there was nice juice and fruit. Great bread butter and jam.

Stay here. I have been to a few real crapholes here and this isn't one of them.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Great location two blocks from the edge of the commercial district. Very tranquil. The hotel is well maintained.

The room had two beds and a large terrace overlooking Banos and the valley beyond. The room was very pleasant. The bathroom was small.

Room service was excellent.

The price of the room included breakfast. Breakfast was disappointing, with a limited selection of fresh fruits, just one cereal. The buffet was self-service, but the main order of eggs was taken at the table. Service was spotty and inattentive.

Extra water bottles and towels were available upon request at the front desk. And room service was responsive. We did not try the restaurant.

There is a nice pool and a large hot tub. The pool wasn't cleaned by noon, however.

The internet did not work well, requiring us to go out in the hall to get a signal.

Overall, I would give the hotel a positive recommendation, and feel it offered fairly good value for money.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a terrace overlooking the village
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple