“Best Place to Stay”

Ranked #14 of 65 Speciality Lodging in Banos
Calgary, Canada
“Best Place to Stay”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Posada El Marques also now known as Posada J is well located and a short walk to the center by way of safe, well lit streets. The rooms are quiet and clean. The staff is very friendly, competent and work hard. The beds are comfortable and the hotel is within one block to three excellent restaurants as well as one and a half blocks to the hot baths. Oh yes, the breakfasts are delicious.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lloomes

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 12 December 2013

On a quiet side street next door to the Posada del Arte, the Posada "J" is a spotlessly clean, well-run hotel a short walk from the La Virgen waterfall and the thermal baths. All the rooms appear to be comfortably furnished and attractively decorated, but if the 'penthouse', the only room on the top floor with its own huge terrace is available, take it. Though a bit more expensive, the privacy and the incredible 360 degree view of the town and the waterfalls make it well worth a few more dollars.

The couple who have taken over the hotel from the previous owner, who had let the hotel (under the name "Posada Marquez") fall into disrepair, are local people with an intimate knowledge of the area and a genuine desire to see that their guests are satisfied. A full breakfast is included, with a choice of eggs or a bowl of fresh fruit with yogurt and granola. There is also a spa on the grounds.

I stayed at the Posada "J" for a week, in the penthouse, and every morning I would wake up, open my door, and just smile.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I just spent a night here before beginning a homestay for spanish lessons, and highly recommend this place. I spent 5 days in Banos on a previous trip, and have traveled through much of Ecuador (over 2 months between 2 trips), and I believe this place is one of the best values I have found. Two years ago in Baños I paid more for a room and hostal that were definitely of lower quality.

My room (#3), while not true luxury, was a definite upgrade. The mattress felt quite new and was extremely plush, and the sheets are of better quality than in most Ecuador lodging. The walls and furnishings are beautiful. My room overlooked a courtyard, and just outside the room is a shared balcony with a view of the waterfall. Bathroom was a little more basic, but still nice, with a large shower and plenty of hot water.

The staff is extremely friendly, and the location is fantastic. Close to the waterfall and best thermal pools, and most importantly for me, in a quiet part of town. Last night was my best sleep in over 3 weeks in Ecuador. Wifi works well and is fast. For the price, its a fantastic value.

I treated myself to a massage, and was pleasantly surprised. It truly is set up as a spa, and the therapist had obviously had training. At many 'spas' in Baños, the spas are just cheap rooms staffed by women who will give you a rubdown, but this spa (Yerbabuena) was top notch. $25 for a great 60 minute massage in a beautiful spa was a nice treat that I will repeat.

Complaints are minimal. Room is a bit dark at night. A friend of the evening employee insisted on honking her car horn and shouting for 5 minutes at one point. If you want TV (but why would you?) rooms have only a tiny old TV.

I am already planning to complete the week of homestay I committed to and then return for a 2 week stay at Marques (now Posada 'J').

Room Tip: One room has a direct view of the waterfall, but also faces the street, so potentially has more nois...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Spent our 2nd night here and ended up staying another 3... The Hotel is tucked away beside the Virgin Waterfall at the East end of town.
They have a Spa onsite and offer some of the best massges in Banos. We tried many other options and at $25 for 1 hour massage you can´t beat it.

We stayed on the roof terrace in the matrimonial room... incredible view. The beds and rooms are huge, clean and very comfortable.
They allowed us to have breakfast up there and even prepared themos of hot water for tea in the evenings.
If anyone else is going to Banos, just drop in and ask to look at their rooms. You won´t be dissapointed.

They offer great service and looked after our every need. We both have left feeling revitalised and very happy. We only wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 12 on the roof for the best view
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank Stjohn and Clar... N
New Zealand
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were not sure what to expect when we pulled up at Posada El Marquez but we were thrilled with our room! First we stayed on the top floor which is just one room on the entire rooftop. There are 360 views over Banos and the room is gorgeous.

We also stayed in one of the smaller rooms when the other room was booked. Almost all of the rooms in the place have views of the waterfall which is really close to the hotel.

The hotel itself is only 5 minutes walk to everything in town and in a very quiet part of Banos - it is only 2 minutes walk to the hot pools. The breakfasts are fantastic as is their delicious home made spiced blackberry jam.

The rooms are really nice, everything seems quite new and the walls in our second room were hand painted with art.

They also have the best spa in town, before we moved here we tried two other massage places in town which were really bad, but the Yerba Buena one actually had proper massage therapists and their rooms are gorgeous!

This is a lovely place with friendly staff, and we will definitely be going back when we are next in Banos.

I have seen some old reviews of this place that are not so great, so they must have made some huge changes since then, as we were very impressed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different and lovely, but the one on the top has sensational views!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed 13 June 2013

spent 2 nights here. Found the place clean, quiet, comfortable with friendly staff. The onsite massage studio is a bonus. Being across the Street from the waterfall, you can hear the wáter as it cascades down the mountianside

Room Tip: rooms at the back nea acceptabler the massage studio are quieter but I'm sure all are quite
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I spent two nights in this very friendly hotel which is under new management. I loved the location close to the waterfall and the Piscinas de la Virgen. My room was comfortable and clean and breakfast was ample. Great value for $23 a night. I also had a wonderful massage and facial in the adjoining spa. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends