“Truly a special place with an amazing staff!”

Hacienda Primavera Wilderness Ecolodge
South Carolina
“Truly a special place with an amazing staff!”
Reviewed 12 September 2008

Wow, what can I say? This was a wonderful experience that I highly recommend should your travels bring you to this area.

We hired a car through Hacienda Primavera to pick us up in Quito. The drive to the Hacienda sort of scared me at first but ended up being the most beautiful ride and well worth the three hour trip.

The rooms offered amazing views and the Innkeeper allowed us to pick out our own rooms when we arrived. Speaking of the Innkeeper, Patricio went above and beyond anything I've experienced. He took us fishing, hiking and horseback riding. He shared stories with us and made us feel like family.

The food was wonderful, plentiful and fresh.
Patricio, Pedro, Juan and Bryon are great assets to the Hacienda Primavera.

I plan to return and highly recommend this lodge. It is a gorgeous place in a very comfortable atmosphere with an unforgettable staff. My next visit will be at least a few days longer.
I am happy to answer any questions you may have. Enjoy!

• Liked — natural setting, great views of the Andes and the staff
  • Disliked — The fact that I had to leavE
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Ontheroad051

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 16 April 2008

We went to Ecuador for my 30th birthday and this was by far the highlight. We ended up staying an extra night because we loved it so much we couldn't bring ourselves to leave!

The Hacienda offers truly beautiful, comfortable surroundings, delicious food and incomparable service. What I find hardest to capture in writing is how it managed to have all this but I never felt like I was in a swanky misplaced tourist spot. It's tough to call the fancy hacienda in the middle of the mountains "authentic" yet that is exactly how it feels. Perhaps that is because of how isolated and low-key it is. Or perhaps it is because everyone who works there has grown up in the surrounding community and were able to bring that very much alive to me as we walked in the mountains on a quest for waterfalls or rode horses into the surroundings villages (though I should say that to make the most of the cultural piece of staying here, speaking at least some spanish (we do) is helpful). At night, we enjoyed listening to the raging river while eating a gourmet meal or playing cards and I just felt total tranquility.

Hacienda Primavera is definitely off the beaten track....the journey from Quito by bus takes over 5 hours and takes you into a very remote part of northeastern Ecuador (we took the later bus and have to admit it was a little nerve wrecking - though looking back we laugh at ourselves -once it was pitch black outside and we were in the jungle). For those who want a little less adventure in their lives, the hotel will also pick you up in Quito for $100/carload one way.

There is no place in Ecuador I would more highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tepirby
New York City
Reviewed 17 May 2007

We just spent five days in paradise. Once you get beyond the three hour drive from Quito (have them pick you up; you don't want to drive on these dirt roads) you are in one of the most beautiful settings I've ever seen. The staff is friendly and accommodating and the food is excellent. We hiked, rode the horses, milked cows, etc., but you can also just spend the day in a hammock with a book. We mentioned that it was our wedding anniversary and were surpised by a cake and a huge bunch of flowers in our room. A real highlight was a visit to the local school to deliver some school supplies we'd brought with us. Everybody we interacted with, even in our elementary Spanish, could not have been nicer.

• Liked — The hospitality of the people.
  • Disliked — Nobody spoke any English, which did create some difficulties.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sharel
New York
Reviewed 16 March 2007

What a place and my children had the best time

• Liked — No schedule for meals, great rooms, food and activities
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank p_herrera12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ibarra
Hacienda- Hosteria Chorlavi
San Andres Lodge & Spa
San Andres Lodge & Spa
#8 of 15 in Ibarra
Hosteria Hacienda San Francisco

Been to Hacienda Primavera Wilderness Ecolodge? Share your experiences!