“Manono-yes ,yes, yes”
Review of Sunset View Fales

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manono Island
Sunset View Fales
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This place is simply fantastic, from the trip out on the boat with Junior, to the whole island. Another place affected by the tsunami, which has come back :) the fales on the hill are so nice. your Porch to view your kingdom from. and own shower :) the food was good. Junior & Fina looked after us so well. :) Laoto & his wife were away on another part of the island collecting some kind of fruit. The Weather was kinda bad so going out in the boat to the reef wasn't an option. once again an excellent stay.

Room Tip: get one of the Fales up on the hill.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank muddytrails

Reviewed 14 July 2012

I spent two nights on Manono island in my travels around Samoa - and I found the change of pace on the island utterly wonderful and relaxing.
Sunset View Fales are run by a very friendly family - while I was there, Laoto and his son Jay were very attentive and always up for a chat.
Included in the price of the accommodation was the boat transfer to and from the island - when you get to the Manono-uta wharf, the people who run the shop there are relatives of the family, and will contact Jay to come and collect you.
One thing to note - although I booked through the samoa hotels association website (bookings@samoa-hotels.ws), the family weren't expecting me, so it always pays to call ahead and let them know you're coming. They were very welcoming regardless, and Laoto is a wonderful host who will chat with you for hours!
In terms of the accommodation, I stayed in a cabin overlooking the water, which had both a double bed and two singles, and a bathroom. The bathroom was reasonably clean, and, quite excitingly, for the first time in Samoa, I slept in a bed which didn't have a thin mattress on a wooden base!
As a part of the experience they offer, Jay will take you out snorkeling - which is a definite must-see, and a slow walk around the island is a wonderful way to spend an hour meeting the locals! Laoto is also always happy to chat about the culture and customs of the island - which is a great way to find out more about the beautiful country you're visiting.
In reading a previous review, i think it is important to note that this is not only the most traditional island in Samoa, it is also a developing area, which was already struggling before the Tusnami hit a few years ago - so the accommodation you will find here is modest - but the experience of being on the island and meeting such warm and open people is one of the highlights of my trip

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank gaby b b
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I really don't want to be too harsh on the family that run Sunset View, because they really do try to accomodate to your needs. Unfortunately our stay and sleep were less than adequate here. To start off, my wife and I are used to roughing it. Like the last reviewer stated, if we weren't we'd be at Aggies. We were set up in the fale highest up from the water and we learned it was where the family lived for a year after the tsunami washed away everything they had. It was basic, but we were glad to be settled in. We went for an afternoon nap and my wife was awakened by a hoard of ants on her pillow and in her hair. We've dealt with bites before but this was a little much. We requested another room and it felt like we were really inconveniencing them. We waited down on the "beach" for them to make up our new room (note there really isn't a beach, just a concrete pier). After we were settled in we enjoyed a nice dinner with our other guests and weere entertained by a friend of the family who showed us how to start a fire with the local wood. After we retired to bed we found that both of our pillows were like bags of concrete. This made for a night of tossing and turning, not the type of night you'd expect sleeping next to the ocean. I hate to sound really negative to our hosts but if you are spending a lot of money like we did to get to Samoa (we came from Canada) then we would like to have the basic comforts. It's not all bad, give them a chance, the price is right and our hosts were very generous, inviting us into their home for tea. They are working towards building new fales and are constantly upgrading the property. Maybe we will be back in a few years.... maybe.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank palliandrutty
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Sunset View Fales was one of my favorite places that i stayed while in Samoa. The cost of the accommodation includes the boat trips to and from the island as well as a boat trip to the reef for snorkeling, and the family members also took be for walks around the island to show me around. Also three HUGE meals a day are included in the cost so all up it was fantastic value! The fales are nice and have raised beds, they are also lockable, but I left mine unlocked the whole time I was there and had no issues. I really loved it there and can't wait to go back! They really look after you and make sure that you have a great time.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank buffymossman
Reviewed 20 June 2011

If you want night clubs and fancy restaurants, then this is not the place for you. If you are after relaxation, culture, snorkelling, friendly people, plenty of food and good weather - pay a visit to Sunset View Fales on Manono Island. It's easy to get to from the airport - just get a cab to take you to the Manono jetty (approx. 10 min) and contact the people at the shop and arrange it all. Unless you've called beforehand and made a booking with Sau or Leota. (Ph: +685 45640).
A very affordable holiday. 100 tala/day (130 if you want your own bathroom and shower) will get you a cottage with balcony in a garden overlooking the water. Price includes boat transfers (approx. 20 min each way), accommodation, 3 meals a day, use of wooden canoe and snorkelling gear and motor boat trip to the coral reef for snorkelling. Snorkelling can be done in front of the fales but you have to take care of the coral and clam regeneration areas (were damaged in the Sept 2009 tsunami). Their boys will also escort you on a tour of the island and show you how to cook the Sunday lunch in an 'umu'.
Sunday is a great day to be there to experience much of their Samoan lives. Church in the morning (even if you aren't religious) is worth a visit just to see the ladies in their white clothes and hats, and to hear the beautiful singing. After church is the Sunday lunch which may consist of local delicacies such as freshly caught fish, pork, veges with coconut cream, breadfruit.
Waling around the island produces many calls from children to have their photo taken. If you are lucky and interested you might be able to visit the local school, especially if you have things to donate such as stationery and books. Many things were lost or damaged in the tsunami and it is evident things are still being worked on to get it back to how it was.
There are a couple of small shops on the island but if there are special treats you like then take them with you. You can buy the local beer. There are no cars, roads or dogs. The 'highway' is a walking track. Many of the villagers are fishermen - made obvious by the nets hanging to dry.
Sau, Leota and family are wonderful hosts and happy to sit and talk about Samoan traditions. Euan is a New Zealander who is there much of the time and assists with running the business so that their family routine is not interrupted too much. Euan is always ready for a chat and is involved with the community and assists with donations for the local school.
I travelled with my 2 teenage daughters who enjoyed the place and are keen to return.
We had the best ever fresh pineapple here, and the sago papaya as part of breakfast was wonderful.
You don't have to take much in the way of clothing - light shirts, sarongs, bathers and something for church. It's OK to swim out the front of Sunset View Fales in bikinis, but need to check about what to wear at other spots.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Rozz60
Reviewed 27 July 2010

For travellers in Samoa who need a break from the ever-present cars and dogs, Monono Island is the perfect escape. I have now been there twice during my four-month working holiday in Samoa and it rates as my favourite experience of the trip. The island itself is beautiful with beaches covering much of the circumference and a coral reef only a short boat trip out. I only wish I could have seen the reef before it was hit by the 2009 tsunami. Luckily it is regenerating and plenty of lovely fish can still be seen.

Now for the real reason to go to Manono, your lovely hosts Leota and Sau, their children, and their surrogate brother Ewan (a New Zealander who has become one of the family). They all speak excellent English and go out of their way to make every visitor feel welcome and at home. Special meal requests are accommodated - the first time I was there, for example, one of the visitors was vegetarian and special meals were brought out any time the main meal included meat. Entertainment on Manono is what you make it and my after-dinner chats with the family and other visitors were always a highlight.

Finally, a few words about the fales and meals. Yes, some of the fales are open to the elements (that's basically the definition of what a fale is) but mosquito netting now completely secures all fales from insects. When I was last there a mosquito net was available for each bed. The fales all have a veranda and chairs, very comfortable beds, clean linen and an electric light. My fales were spotlessly clean. The communal shower is not a highlight by any stretch but I've been to worse. Bring some baby wipes and hand sanitiser and you'll be right.

Finally, the meals ranged from the exquisite (fresh fish caught by Leota himself) to the somewhat bizarre to the Australian eye (spaghetti sandwiches). However, at least one meal of the day was always a proper, substantial feed. Both times I had the Sunday lunch it was absolutely superb. For any travel in Samoa I tend to bring bottled or boiled water and some snack food for in-between meal times. There is a small shop on the island and Leota and family were happy to take a few of us over to the mainland to pick up some beers and other provisions.

I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a peaceful escape who doesn't mind sacrificing some of the mod-cons for natural beauty.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank leckser
Reviewed 24 September 2009

My wife and I stayed here after it being recommended to us by friends. The island is great with no dogs and cars, the walk around the island is pleasant. The hosts, Leota and Sau as mentioned, couldn't be nicer. We were taken snorkeling out to the reef and it lived up to everything we were told, the best snorkeling we encounted in Samoa. There is a small beach next to Sunset View Fales, which is quite pretty and good for swimming, the snorkeling off the beach is ok, but not as good as out by the reef. Leota showed us how an Umu was made including yummy palusami.
We did have a couple of issues though, we found the double bed in the fale to be too small for the two of us -we are both under 180cm and 75kgs, so we are not big people. The two single beds in the other fales are bigger.
We were served an Umu a couple of times for dinner, it was great getting served traditional Samoan food, but a couple of nights we were served toasted sandwiches with spaghetti in them for dinner. I myself quite like toasted sandwiches and these weren't bad, but not for dinner. One of the other guests who was from Germany said "what is this, this is disgusting". My wife is allergic to tomato and consequently had to go without, she ate a couple of muesli bars she had brought over with her from NZ for her dinner on those nights. The other issue we had was with the basket that goes next to the toilet where the used toilet paper is put. It wasn't emptied in the three days we stayed and we both caught a bug, despite us constantly washing our hands.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it, but take lots of snack foods in case you don't like toasted sandwiches as the shop doesn't stock much and the mosquitos were in abundance, bring bug spray too.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NZSamoan

Been to Sunset View Fales? Share your experiences!