“The real Samoa”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Savai'i
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“The real Samoa”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Be ready for Island time the real Samoa beutifgul people, beutiful beaches an awesome island, if you want out of the way authentic island and culture experience then this place is for you.
The resort is lovely, lanscaped within in an inch of its life just imaculate , great pool and bar and the resuraunt is simple but it needs not to be anything else as the view from the deck says it all and the food is simple unpretentous but fresh and delightful especially the seafood.
take a plantation walk with the lovely local poeple next door, travel by bus to the markets in town or hire a car and beach hop your way around the island trust me it will surprise and captivate you.
siufaga is like staying with friends the staff are what make this place what it is always helpful and always smileing they will help you with any arrangments you my need whilst you are there, my wife and i honeymooned there and absolutly loved it.
D & N

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 19Dan77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Wellington
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Our family of four stayed in a 'pool-side' vila at Suifaga in July 2012.

The vila was spacious, nicely decorated and well spaced from the other vilas to afford a reasonable degree of privacy. It provided plenty of room for the whole family. One of the two queen or kingsize beds in the vila was able to be separated into two singles for the kids. We all loved the open-air shower which is a real feature of these vilas!

The grounds (tropical garden style) were bueatifully maintained and the pool with swim up bar was great. The staff were friendly and helpful. The beach across the road was fine for kayaking & snorkling (the resort has complementary kayaks & snorkles), although the beaches further north are nicer.

The restaurant food is OK, athough you need to be prepared for a wait as anything you order takes a long while to arrive! Being first to dinner didn't seem to help much either in terms of the wait.

Overall we were very happy with Siufaga as a place to stay. Although if you have the opportunity some of the holiday accomodation further North(e.g. Safai and Manse) is better located on spectular beaches.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank GrantT92
Albany, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My wife and I spent four nights at this lovely resort in early June. Although we caught the early ferry across to Savai and arrived at the resort a lot earlier than expected, this was no bother to the lovely staff and after a sumptious breakfast and a quick walk around the pool our room was ready for us.

The resort is lovely with the bungalows a nice distance from each other giving everyone privacy. The pool area is great and as this was a relaxing getaway we spent a lot of our time there. We had an airconditioned bungalow (very large, clean with outdoor shower) but next time would probably go for just a fan room.

The restaurant provides breakfast, lunch and dinner but after a few days the menu does get a bit boring as it is very western. The resort staff are all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. At times, service at meals was a little slow compared to some other resorts. However this was due to a number of new staff and also the relaxed "Samoan way". This didn't bother us as we were there to relax, and not watch a clock, and besides a little patience is never a bad thing.

We would quite happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SKI_64
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stayed as a family for four nights and found alot to love about this little place. The grounds are lovely, really well planted, and the fales are well spread out so you feel private. The fales have nice furniture, nice firm beds and lovely opening windows on all sides so you could catch the beeze with ease. The pool is gorgeous and the swim up bar is a touch of luxury that was very nice. The snorkelling is good and the beach is nice (albeit small and across the road). Most of all the staff are fantastic - very warm, welcoming and caring.

On the disappointing side, however, the resort is not being well maintained so it will go downhill over time. Lots of things needed repair - out aircom was incredibly loud, and stuck on one speed - high - with a faulty temperature gauge. The blinds werent hung properly, there was a hole in our bathroom door and for security you used a tiny hook and eye lock to close up the bathroom (about as secure as a rubber band). TVs are fuzzy and discoloured and definitely not the cable advertised. Some of the pool furniture was broken as was the door to the loo poolside. None of these things on their own are a worry (Ok maybe the aircon) more they are a sign of lack of care which in time is likely to result in less and less that works!

Our biggest gripe was the food. Breakfast was OK - although the coffee machine was broken (and no sign of any interest in fixing it) and we were only able to get guava juice despite fresh fruit being in abundance. Dinner was the main problem with a menu that was quite limited and when you asked, up to half the menu wasnt actually available!! Same with the wine and cocktails - lots on the list, but very little available in reality! And all the cocktails made with syrup not fresh fruit or juices. The cooking was pretty disappointing - most of our meals were over cooked, dried out, drowned in cheese or sauce and one even came with a live slug! The time to be served was also problematic - even when the only diners, it was a min of 40 min to get any food. We would have happily stayed and dined elsewhere - only problem is there isnt anywhere else for 10-15 miles! If you have no car, you are stuck....

So please Siufaga - fix your restaurant and pick up the maintenance - and then youll really have a great resort

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CDtravellers
Victoria
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We rented the standard bungalow here ( only a ceiling fan) and did not find this a problem as the unit had plenty of windows and shade and nearly always seemed to catch a breeze. It is not as luxurious as the other cabins in the complex but was still spacious and was serviced well. There is a need for a blind on the glass door, and more comfortable chairs outside also the bed was a little hard but it was good value for money. The grounds are beautiful and the pool area is good. The beach across the road was lovely and sandy and got deep enough for a great swim. The restaurant did not have a lot of choice on the menu but the food we had was good. Staff were friendly and obliging. The resort's position is more central than others on the island and so was ideal for touring around.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JaneKate
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I spent a couple days driving around Savai'i and saw four hotels at or near the beach. Siufaga is certainly a nice place, no question. But I wouldn't call it the best on the island. They are certainly trying hard to solicit as many good trip advisor reviews as possible. Despite filling out a somewhat critical comment card, they wrote me to thank me for my feedback and asked me to write a review of the resort if I liked my stay.

First of all, it is not really a beach resort. The island's main road is in between the property and the beach, and the beach at that point is very small. A beach resort would usually have a place where you can indulge in cocktails while feeling the sand between your toes, in my experience. There is no such bar or private area on the beach that I learned of during my short stay. If you want to go to the beach, you're off the property and on your own I think. That is not what I would expect from a beach resort.

Once on the property, the room itself is fine. It was a standalone bungalow kind of thing, which I prefer. I loved having A/C for the first time on my trip. This would be a great place to go with a few friends. Lots of space. I disliked the couches and chairs that were wrapped in tight plastic that you couldn't remove. Certainly wouldn't want to spend much time sitting in any of the furniture.

The pool is fabulous and I took a late night swim. I recommended in my comment card that they use beautiful lighting to make their lush gardens look better at night. The only light I remember seeing is one big florescent like like in a parking lot. We were in low season but the other guests I spoke with said no one was ever staffing the swim up bar.

The food was delicious. However, the first few menu items I requested were not available, nor were the wines I requested. The menu was about 1/2 available.

Lastly and most importantly, I was quoted $220 on the phone. I drove an extra 20 minutes from the main "town" because I had read such great TA reviews and the rate was only $40 more than the Jetover hotel. When I checked out the next day, I was billed $320. I complained and the manager was called, and I was told there was nothing they could do. There was a guest registration form I was offered when checking in and the Room Rate field was not filled in. I left it blank, filled in my passport and address details and signed it. Someone later filled in my rate. The manager who was called by the person at checkout said that because I had signed the form I was out of luck. I felt VERY uncomfortable about this - felt very sneaky.

The checkout clerk hung up the phone with the manager and said that the manager said nothing could be done because I had signed the form (before anything was written into the "rate" line). It was only once I said I would express my dissatisfaction on Trip Advisor that she fixed my rate to $220. I hadn't filled in the rate on the card because I was in a blissful Samoan place where I thought no one would pull any fast ones. But now I feel taken advantage of.

Definitely a nice place to visit, and clean and beautiful and all that. But not really a "beach resort" in my book, and be sure to NAIL IN your rate in writing. And it might not be worth driving any extra distance to stay here if your rate isn't in writing because it might be different when you arrive, and it might be too late in the night to drive anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank phillysilver
Auckland
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I loves staying at Siufaga. Our rooms were clean and fresh every day and the staff were just lovely. They went beyond the call of duty and helped us out. The food was delicious, better than anywhere else we ate in Samoa, and eating up on the balcony at sunset with sea views was so nice.
The pool is big and very pretty and clean and the gardens are lovely. We were really happy with Siufaga and enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are along the side nearer the road but I didnt hear any noise at night.