“great little stay”
Review of Tanu Beach Fales

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Savai'i
Tanu Beach Fales
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Savai'i
Whangarei, New Zealand
“great little stay”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

For an absolute pure slice of heaven and a traditional experience you will not forget, simplistic Tanus Beach Fales in Samoa is one place you must check off your bucket list. Located in Manase (pronounced mana-say) on the island of Savaii it is about an hour ride from the main ferry terminal. Manase is undoubtebly the most beautiful beach in the whole of Samoa perfectly situated for viewing of both a sunrise and a sunset on the north coast. Special!
Tanu’s is owned and operated by the quirky and irrevesant Tanu family, as soon as you walk through those gates you know you are in for some giggles and fun times. Freda Tanu manages the whole operation with a range of her cousins, aunties, grandparents and children all on hand throughout your stay to help you with anything. All Fales are traditional style with mattresses on the floor and sleep anywhere from 2 to 5 and are beachfront or just slightly back from the beach. Don’t underestimate these fales, though basic, they are warm, breezy and majorly relaxing.
Breakfast and dinner are included in the rate and range from fresh fruit, cheese on toasts, pelusami, breadfruits, umu cooked foods, pig on the spit and bolognaise just to name a few dishes. Plates are served but are plentiful and topped off with Freda’s wonderful lemon tea. The dining room is set up to encourage communication and friendships with the other guests and is always an entertaining experience, sometimes still sitting for hours after talking with other people over a Vailima.
There is an onsite store which is very reasonably priced serving basic snack foods, drinks and alcohol which runs on an honesty system whereby your bill is paid for on your exit.
The water at Manase is amazingly clear and crystal and the sands white, you will find yourself repeating “its just sooo beautiful” many times a day as everywhere you look is stunning.
As I firmly believe, a property is only as strong as its people and the Tanu family has a reputation around the world for their amazing hearts, their humor and their genuine friendship. They absolutely love their guests and love what they do and this is ever present in their fia fia that they perform many times a week. They sing at the top of their lungs, perform with such enthusiasm and it is plain to see that this family is bonded very tightly in everything they do.
As a travel agent, I had often heard about the Tanu family and thought what is the big deal? What is this place all about? On staying here for a few nights, I have seen first hand that what they deliver is truly amazing and inspiring. It is going to take a special place to knock this now FIRM FAVOURITE off the top of my list and I will definitely be going back to spend more precious moments with the tanu family year in and year out. Most definitely.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank nuzeesheek

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Take your own snorkelling gear and head to Tanu's Beach Fales for an inexpensive relaxing holiday. Operated by an extended family willing to please their customers. Day trips are offered and well worth doing. A secure safe for your valuables, an shop on site run by an honesty system and wi-fi for all those who have a need to stay connected to the rest of the world.
Don't come here if you're looking for shops and nightclubs - there aren't any! Fun to be had with other travellers, or just keep to yourselves. Local food served at mealtimes and vegetarians are catered for by request.

Room Tip: Phone 54054 or just turn up
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Rozz60
Grafton NSW Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Getting there... the ferries. On the way there I sat in air conditioned comfort of the bigger of the 2 ferries. Very nice. Big screen TV showing church services followed by the rugby. Snacks for sale. On the way back I got the smaller of the ferries. Sat outside and watched the ocean and turtles roll by - gorgeous.
The village... I think there are about 5 resorts in this village. The people in the village were very friendly. A service station is a handy shop and Raci's bar is an oasis. The cocktails are absolutely delicious - they really pride themselves and so they should. I had a Pina Colada at a well known hotel in Apia and it was nothing on the one I was served at Raci's - he knows his stuff, the beer is cold and they hire snorkelling gear, kyacks and bicycles. I hired a bike and visited the turtles - good fun.
The resort...Tanu beach was toward one end of the villageand absolutely beautiful. Basic fale's, I scored one right on the water front. Stunning. I loved my little coconut broom which is supplied to get rid of that pesky sand (a bowl of water outside the fale's would be a good idea for rinsing off feet.) Very basic - a mattress, mosquito net and light bulb however it was all that was needed. Take some clothes pegs. The shop is good if your needs are basic. Beer, water, juice, a kettle with coffee and tea for sale as well as various canned goods. Just write what you take in a book and fix it all up when you leave.
The people I found to be a bit reserved. Friendly enough but I found that being a lone female was a bit of a draw back. The women, who do most of the dealing with guests were pretty stand offish toward me, until they found out that I was married but travelling alone whereas a fellow lone traveller - a male, was gushed over. This didn't really worry me, I had a great time with the fellow guests, but after fiji I found it a bit off putting. A tour of the island is a definate go! We had a great day seeing the blow holes, canopy walk, lava fields, swimming at an amazingly beautiful water fall and swimming with the turtles. Full day but unhurried and enjoyable.
The food was great, try the coconut jam at breakfast! Tea and coffee and heaps to eat for breakfast and lunch. You eat what the locals do.
I say that if you are into a really inexpensive, relaxing holiday in a truely breathtaking location then go no further than tanu beach fales.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much interaction with locals.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank neecy8
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Firstly arriving on Savai'i I was struck by how absolutely stunning the place was, and given what I'd heard over the years imagine my surprise to find it spotless! Savai'i has a reputation for being 'more rustic' and 'a bit dirty' but what I found was the complete opposite. Apparently there has been a big clean up campaign in recent years and it shows. Every village was well manicured, very little if any litter or trash to see. Beautiful colours in the trees plants and fale's even drew my eyes away from the stunning turquoise ocean view as we toured round.

The ferry to get there was the only part that I didn't enjoy.... it costs 12 Tala each way but next time I think I'll wait for the 'big ferry' and go Business class so I actually get a seat :-)

Tanu beach Fales in Manase offer an authentic Samoan experience, you sleep in the same standard accommodation as the villagers do and eat the food they eat. Unlike a previous post I only got bread with breakfast as toast (and a toastie every 3 days). The food is cooked traditionally using locally grown ingredients such as breadfruit, palusami, taro, watermellon etc you get heaps to eat and since there is so much on your plate you can

The accomodation is the best I've ever stayed in, being 30 I've grown tired of backpackers and prefer 3-5 star as a rule. I made an exception after a friends recommendation for this place, it is the most relaxing amazing feeling in the world to fall asleep looking out at the stars & wake up looking at the Sunrise over the ocean. The Fales are clean, cool and very basic. But that's all you need on a tropical island!

The family that run it were all very lovely and highly regarded in the area, even our taxi driver in Apia knew them by name. We were well looked after and my partner was given an alternative to the seafood portion of any meal. The family even got together and put a cultural dancing show on after dinner one night.

Beer, water & juice (whole coconuts sometimes) can be bought from the reception cold. They run a tab system and you pay when you leave so you don't have to go back and forward for cash. There is a safe in the reception for your valuables and the lovely girl called her uncle to drive us when we couldn't get a taxi to the pier!!

In the small village there isn't much to do, I went there to relax, read & swim,but if you want more you can hire a car for 160 Tala from Janes a few doors down & take a trip round the Island. Racy's Beach Club is also a few doors down and has watersports/bikes for hire & internet access as well as a 'cocktail bar'.

Overall this is one of the best places I have ever been anywhere in the world and perhaps the most beautiful, but it's not for everyone so do your research before you go to make sure this is for you.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DarylGove
Vava'u Islands, Tonga
Reviewed 9 February 2011

manase is beautiful & tanu would have everything going for it if only they would hire a decent chef . the food was greasy , soggy , bland & boring & they relied far too heavily on bread to fill out the meals . i left two days early because i could no longer stand the food & because of some inappropriate action by one of the male staff . i was terribly disappointed as seeing tanu on get away was the reason i came to samoa . there are other options nearby & i am assured the food is much better .

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank seganaleqafiji
Wollongong
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Back to nature holiday if you love a basic lifestyle you will love this place. The family run business is wonderful. While we were there we were taught to Dance Cook & Relax the Samoan way

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank OutthereWollongong
Pacific Harbour, Fiji
Reviewed 7 December 2010

From the moment we were welcomed off the ferry at Salelologa to when the Tanu Family all sang and waved us farewell, we had a wonderful time. We were a group of 18 students and 7 adults, and we could not have been better looked after. The family members run the resort, making you feel very welcome. They try and cater to any requests promptly. The whole resort is kept clean and neat with no sign of any rubbish.
We were escorted to many interesting attractions which was just what we wanted for the students. Family members joined in the fun and our children enjoyed the happy, free and easy friendship..
The Fia Fia night was great fun and done in a culturally respectful way, another good lesson for our students.
Food was excellent and very plentiful. Our students would have liked porridge some mornings for breakfast!
A great place to stay whether you are alone, couples, family or a group such as ours.
We hope to return!