“Can't wait to go back!!”
Review of Tanu Beach Fales

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Savai'i
Tanu Beach Fales
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Savai'i
Whangaparaoa
“Can't wait to go back!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2009

Staying at Tanu was the best experience I've ever had. Went with two of my mates and can't wait to go back, would happily live there if I could! What more could you ask for, it has everything!! Loved it!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chino99

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2009

Great staff, good food and wonderful Fales!
A magical place to relax by the beach :)

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I have a picture on my wall. From several hundred pictures from a RTW-trip, I picked this one from the beach at Tanus beach fales, where we prolonged our stay twice, so we were allmost two weeks there. It was in many ways a great place to relax and snorkel - if you don´t have to many wishes. The food was excellent, but pretty much the same and no choices were available. The very simple huts are right on the beach, with the mountain behind it, and the coral reef is just out there. Not with milions of fish, but enough to have fun for several days, and with the book exchange open and a day trip with the brothers it was very easy to let the days pass fast. The family was friendly, many tended to be reserved though, but always helping and sometimes smiling when approached. If you go there, don´t miss the blowholes and the Banyan tree accomodation at the western point of Savaii afterwards. It´s highly recommended for people who can manage and like a slightly organised camping life.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
Whakatane
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Wow, what a magical place Tanu Beach is! We Stayed in Apia when we arrived in Samoa, the day before the Tsunami, and were planning on staying at Lalomanu. Glad that we didn't. Took a couple of days to sort out our new travel plans and we wouldn't hesitate to recomend Tanu beach Fales to anyone. Loved the atmosphere - very family orientated. Felt safe and well looked after. The meals were plain but very large servings for the big eaters. The fia fia was absolutely awesome. Obviously this isn't the type of accomodation for those expecting luxury but it is definitely better than camping in a tent!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeachbabeWhakatane
Auckland New Zealand
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I booked a beachfront Fale several months before travelling to Samoa and even phoned (at $20NZ for the call) a few weeks out to confirm my booking. But when we arrived, we were told ( along with seven others who had also booked fales) that they were full and that we had to stay in a concrete bunker across the road. As you can imagine none of us were happy about this, so we went in search of an alternative. Everything at Manese was booked up apart from a back fale at Reginas. I had read about security issues here on Trip Adviser about Reginas, so decided to put up with the concrete bunker for one night. I did manage to check into Jane's for the next day along with two of the other people who had booked a fale at Tanu's. I had stayed at Jane's before and it was great, even the food was better than last time, which sems to be the biggest complaint about Jane's. The other five people who had arrived at the same time as us found a fale for the next day at Stevenson's. I caught up with them the next day and they seemed more than pleased with Stevenson's although a mate from work stayed there a month ago and he found that like Tanu's, Stevenson's had double booked and tried to move him to a different fale from the beachfront one he had booked.
It was probably just as well that we didn't take the fale at Regina's as a few days later I met a girl checking into Jane's who had spent the previous night at Regina's and had awoken in the early hours of the morning to find a Samoan guy kissing her and asking her to have sex with him. Luckily she managed to fend him off, but she was pretty shaken up and moved out as soon as she could.
It wasn't only the fact that Tanu's had double booked, but when we asked what time dinner was, we told different times and it was only because we happened to be across the road from our concrete bunker by the shop, that someone mentioned that dinner was being served. The times for breakfast the next day were just as vague.
I have been to Samoa five times in the last few years, so I'm used to things being fairly loose, but this was appalling. And to rub salt into the wound we were charged the same for the concrete bunker as a fale. When I querried this rate, the girl just shrugged, Tanu's didn't care, they already had their other bookings. The concrete bunker did have a fan and was lockable, but there were several roosters right behind it, and a lady next door with two screaming kids that she kept whacking, so not a lot of sleep was had.
I work hard all year long and I look forward to chilling out in a fale, I didn't travel all that way and spend all that money to be stuck in a noisy concrete bunker across the road from the beach. So, no, I wouldn't go back to Tanu's.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank NZSamoan
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Stayed here 5 nights. The family / staff are what makes this place special. The best fia fia of the 3 we saw in Samoa - again because of the family / staff involvement.

The accomm itself was good - shared facilities which were clean. Food (brekky and dinner inclusive) was very good. We initially had a 'back' fale, with no ocean views... but as soon as a beach front one was available we were moved there. The swimming and snorkelling here is OK. Lalomanu is a little better. Manase (the village) is well catered for... with Racis Beach Club, a service station and Janes bar.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TomR75
wellington
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Tanu's is the bomb..We have spent many great holidays at tanu beach fales. So much so that we are close to being part of the family..

Everything is great for the perfect samoan holiday experience..Fab beach, good snorkalling, amazing coral, pristine white sand, great hospitality, fiafia, staff prices.. Its really the only place to stay on savaii at the price..

I am sadenned to read the trip advisor comment about petty theft.. It would be a travesty if such an unusual occurance would put anybody off. I n all the times staying at tanu's I have never had anything taken from me, either in the safety box or in the fale..(in truth I trust them all so don't bother using the safety box.) and seen as we tend to stay for a month at a time, we are generally carrying a serious wedge.. I have nevr heard of anyone else losing stuff either..save the odd pair of jandels that may look derelicted...Samoa is culturally built on the notion of respect..tanus is quite safe..anyone found stealing would be severely dealt to by vai or the high chief taito...

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple