“Bliss”
Review of Tanu Beach Fales

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Savai'i
Tanu Beach Fales
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Savai'i
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stayed for 3 nights and wish we had more time there.. Tanu is a no frills Fale accomodation which is on a beautiful beach at Savi'i island... The Fale's are well kept, we had breakfast & dinner included and the food is plentiful.. If you are looking for a places for some r & r.. This is it...

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 September 2010

We spent three days here and had a very enjoyable time, met some nice people, and had some great swims from a nice sandy beach -best at high tide.

The fales are a generous size, basic mattress on the floor with a mozzie net. We didn't use the net - want the breeze more than the protection - and the insects weren't too numerous.There are no fans nor a/c. (nor was it expected.) This was a good experience, and I believe the quality of these fales to be somewhat above average. They were apparently fairly well made. The beach was a few steps down from the fale, and then across a few paces of sand, plenty of coconut trees around..typical tropical paradise stuff.

Meals are included in the room rate, and are pretty good quality. Plenty of tea and coffee to go with breakfast. I would like to see a little more variety with the food selection, though. You'd start to tire of it after a few days. As value for money goes, though, it was excellent.

Staff were always friendly and helpful. The place is well run and maintained. Just mind your head when exiting the eating fale ( a very large communal fale with fixed bench seating and long tables) because you duck under the rolled up rainshields ( like an awning) and then straighten up straight into the edge of the roof. I saw four people do this, and did it myself even though aware of it. The owner advised me this fale will be dismantled at the end of this season and a new one built; once that is done it won't be a problem. I guess. (Fale roof edges seem to be fairly low in this part of the world.)

There are plenty of other resorts in this part of Savai'i...Manase beach is nice, so no shortage of bars etc. Racis cocktail bar is particularly good for quality drinks. As good as you'd get anywhere, those cocktails. They also hire kayaks etc. The other Racis (pronounced race-eez) provides coffee, tea, and internet, photo printing etc.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We certainly underestimated how beautiful the beach was going to be at Tanu's. It was flawless and luckily we were in a beach front fale which is absolute MUST the fales at the back would have been a real disappointment and over the road would have been even worse. The main thing I would say about the food is expect to hungry, I don't know if they have downsized their portions but we were expecting really basic food and we were really disappointed. The shop over the road does a delicious BBQ for only 7 tala which was fantastic but other than that the only near by place (Vacations) to get food is so expensive (30 tala for fish and chips) and they served us RAW chicken, yuck. You should take over as much food as you can and stock up at the market in Saleloga before you head out to Tanu. Even if your into tinned beef and tinned sausages you'll still go hungry.
We didn't find the family very friendly at all in fact they really didn't talk to anyone and the guy at the shop who was from australia (I think?) had a real attitude, it was really strange. The people from the village were REALLY friendly and that and the beautiful surrounding really made our stay at Tanu's.
The fales are awesome but really close together so not much privacy. The bathroom was a bit strange as the door didn't close at all and so it was pretty uncomfortable.
Over all we really enjoyed it but although I would go back to Savaii in a minute I would not stay at tanu. We heard really good things about Regina's which is just up the road, it's cheaper, more private, cleaner and just as beautiful.
This place would be good if your going with friends backpacking and you eat like a sparrow but if you want privacy and a non - public shower I would look elsewhere in Savaii, which is truly spectacular
I would recommend going on the bus as much as you can, it's a great, cheap way to get around and the person next to you will often act as your own personal tour guide.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We spent one week at Tanu beach Fale in Manase with our 2 kids, 6 n 2 years old.

The hospitality was great, if u want to experience samoan culture n hospitality, Tanu s the right place. We enjoyed the beautiful beach n the realxing days! Also our kids enjoyed it very much. The staff would just come n get the kids n take them to the village for a walk...;)
Also we spend our son's 7th b'day there n the the stuff had a surprise cake for him at the fia fia night, it was so cute!

Fa'afetai lava Tanu beach fale....we hope to be back again

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank fribis
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Great fun was had at Tanu, which had more of a party vibe than anywhere else I stayed. It was the best built fale that I stayed in, with no leaking or anything. I was somewhat disappointed that palms were planted between the fales and the beach, but on the other hand it did offer some privacy from all of the people walking up and down the beach. The beach itself was just ok, as was the snorkelling. The food was rather bland and repetitive. Stay away from the deep fried sausages. Staff were amiable, but it was the other guests that really gave the place its relaxing and sociable vibe that made it an attractive place to stay. It was the only place I stayed in Samoa where there was somewhat of a nightlife.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We loved our stay at Tanu. For our 3 nights we felt like part of the family. How wonderful to get up early, watch the sunrise, spend an hour snorkelling just outside our Fale then having a shower before breakfast.

There is certainly no shortage of food at Tanu - breakfast and dinner were always generous and varied. Breakfasts weren't really suitable for a gluten free person like myself, but I was prepared with my own breakfast and they were happy to provide hot water for me to make it. Plus there was always fruit and sometimes rice in samoan cocoa, which is delicious.

We did a couple of dives while we were there at the Savaii Dive Centre. Nice dives over the coral gardens, and also down to a ship wreck not too far from the shore. Plenty of fish, but not really big fish, probably due to the dives being inside the reef. Still, very enjoyable, and I didn't need to wear a wetsuit - I dived in shorts and a t-shirt as the water was 29 Celsius.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Tanu and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GoingToPlaces
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Myself & 2 friends have just returned from 6 nights at Tanu Beach Fales...
If one word sums up our stay, then it would be 'spectacular'!

The fales have everything you need, very basic, but just heaven to lie on your bed and be 10 steps from the beach!
Sunsets were heavenly, the staff were fantastic, particularly Graham, Java, Frida, Tala and Faima!

The food was lush! lots of fresh fruit for breakfast, and some lovely evening meals! I do have to say though by our last night we were starting to get cravings for some western food! If you do fancy treating yourself, Stevensens next door, serves delicious food, a little on the expensive side, but the nicest freshest snapper I've ever tasted!

Our week was extremely relaxed, usually a swim before breakfast, and our days spent snorkelling & baking in the sun! We hired snorkels from Raci's Beach Club just a 5 minute walk up the beach. If you're big into snorkelling I would recommend buying one before you go, as rental was about 17 tala per day, it would have been cheaper to buy one!
The snorkelling was fantastic particularly when the tide was out, the visibility was fantastic, lots of parrot & trigger fish! Bring your underwater camera!
The beach is amazing, and the family clean it up every morning so you'll never step on any washed up coral like other parts of the beach.

We did the island tour one day which was fab, it's a really long day but definitly worth seeing the island! From what I saw Tanu is definitly the nicest beach we saw the whole day.

Fia Fia nights were awesome, we were lucky enough to have 2 of them in our 6 nights, the family put on a great show with a little disco for half an hour afterwards where the family get you up to dance!

If lying on your bed reading a book listening to the waves crash out over the reef in the distance is your idea of heaven, then Tanu is the place for you.

I would go back in a second

Thanks Tanu!