All reviews sunset fale breakfast and dinner fish daily activities open fale free kayaks star resort included in the price mahi mahi cold water hire car stayed nights fiafia night samoan culture set menu own bathroom traditional food
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Tripadvisor reviews were impressive... so I booked and arrived thinking OK I want to see if its true. Just what makes Va-i-Moana special....

Asua harbors nice but not remarkable. Neither is the small beach. Snorkeling unimpressive. Does not hold a candle to Savai'i lagoons... Fales far from five star...

TAFOLA!! Sale warm welcome. Rosie softly, gently engaged in conversation .

Watched staff interact with guests. All were impressive. A recently bereaved lady came for one night, told me she was so looked after that she stayed several nights. An older couple - numerous stays. Cycling groups. Families. Fishermen... All relaxed & happy.

Free use of kayaks to explore the little island & harbor.
A few turtles popped heads up, were so shy & fast, zoomed away. Swimming off the little beach was pleasant. Watching fish from pier. Stayed 3 nights in a Sunset Fale 3. Deck over the rocks. Water under deck when tide was in. Open air bathroom. Great views. Comfy bed. Pillows were hard. Meant to ask for more, (which I'm sure Va-i-Mona would have supplied), but by this time I was on Island Time. Could not be bothered. No matter.

Sunday and Public Holiday weekend...still a home baked birthday cake was arranged at short notice, delivered by staff accompanied by a strumming guitar 'Happy Birthday' serenade...

Sunday seafood buffet lunch 1.30pm. Any other meals were to be ordered prior to 12.30pm. I didn't see the sign. Just wanted a toasted sandwich. Didn't want to make a fuss. Sale graciously insisted I have what I desired.

Fabulous Samoan hospitality. Yes, I understand now. This place has heart.
If your considering Va-i-Moana, do it.

Date of stay: October 2013
Reviewed 21 October 2013

A relaxing two night stay in beach front Fale on the waters edge. Good safe swimming kayaks available for guests use. Food was good and authentic Samoan fare. Full bar facilities with tropical cocktails.

Thank Dick and Caroly... B
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Its not 5 star but then neither are the prices and I doubt anywhere else in the Pacific can offer such a relaxed time, great food and hospitality and music for the price. Having just been there for 8 days and enjoyed the deep unwind , and I am very familiar with many many places in the Pacific of all grades I really can say I would recommend this place to all ages. Getting there is a bit of a hike: the airport is only minutes and a 20 tala taxi ride to the ferry. While it is only an hour across the advertised shedule often doesn't match reality and its wise to check by phone the day before. It can cost as little as 12 tala to ride, and in July-September whales are usually seen. Dolphins and turtles are frequent too if you know how to look. At Salelologa on the other side a taxi- 120-150 tala - will take you the 75-90 minutes up to the Vaimoana around the eastern side of the island. Ride the crowded buses if they are going that far for far less.
Accommodation can be very basic and cheap and there is a high turnover of young backpacking tourists but the fales, especially over the water have everything you need. I didnt bother to use the aircond unit in my over the water fale and even in October was a bit chilly at night. Water is scarce but drinking supplies are available cheaply form the shop over the road- or less cheaply from the bar when you arrive especially if it is Sunday, and if the pump on the fale runs out reception will turn it on with no problems as soon as requested.
My fale looked a bit daunting when I arrived but inside it was quite spacious, had its only balcony and atached onsuite and outside shower, cold water only is fine when its 32*C.
Food was a part of the package deal and was uniformly excellent: fresh island fruit and pancakes as well as local specialites like a hot papaya and tapioca thick soup for breakfast with toast and island jam. Side orders were very reasonably priced and included omelettes with hame cheese and tomatoes, or bacon and eggs, or a generous big breakfast of sauages/ham/bacon and eggs.
Lunches were by menu and cost above the standard daily charge up to 35 tala maximum - free for those who contributed the fish!- and the night meal was very wellpresented and large, typically a fish and a separate chicken dish plus a vegetable salad or stirfry plus a carbohydrate like potato mash or pasta [the excess fed the stray cats who depended on it much to chargrin of the staff who were always gently shoeing them away]. One night it was grilled half crayfish with a rich cream sauce plus free range chicken drumsticks with a pineapple sauce. Drinks also were reasonable and a fraction of the cost charged in resorts in Fiji.
If you want to experience the people of Samoa then you need to stay at small resorts owned and managed by Samoans. Sure, they may not be as efficient as those managed by palagi, but this gentle laidback way is far more Samoan.

Room tip: Dont choose a over the water fale if you dont like the sound of gentle waves breaking under the balconey: as for me, it sends me to sleep within minutes. Carry water to the ferry and the ride up to the Vaimoana especially if travelling thru the heat of the day. If the ferry is crowded then the business class is a wonderful cool nearly empty respite , costs 80 tala return and is worth every bit.
Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Worth the journey from Apia, warmly welcomed, shown to our simple fale overlooking small golden bay, everything you imagine a south sea island retreat to be, coconut palms, brilliant flowers, turquoise water and even turtles. Excellent restaurant, cheap cocktails every night, local musicians, attentive service, freshly caught fish. Mosquito net and fan in our room, no bugs and a cooling trade wind breeze, slept well. Glorious staff, who fulfilled our every need, even taking us to Church and other sights we wanted to see. We are "vintage" travellers, but the staff made it so easy for us and became our friends so that we will be happy to return here next year. A big big thank you.

Room tip: When we return, we would ask for a "sunset" sale, I think fale number 11
Thank Jon and Jennife... F
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Don't bother about the rest of Samoa this is one of the most beautiful places i've stayed. Everything was wonderful. Lovely staff, thankyou to all the ladies and the men who made out stay easy and peaceful. The food was beautiful and plentiful we were never left feeling hungry. Free kyaks were good we had a great day kyaking over to the other island. We really appreciated the briefing about the water when we arrived it helps to avoide been dissapointed if the water is turned off and makes you aware of their water concerns (have short showers). The band over dinner was a nice touch. There alot of local shops near by so if you need a snack you just have to walk across the road. We stayed in TM 101 was a lovley room clean and spacious and i loved just sitting on the deck or out on the jetty just sipping a cold pure vailima. We stayed an extra night and were dissapointed we had to leave. It is good value for money the price including breakfast and dinner. This place is paradise!

1  Thank Heidi9579