All reviews sunset fale breakfast and dinner fish daily activities free kayaks included in the price mahi mahi star resort coconut demonstration cocoa rice fiafia night dietary requirements own bathroom simple beach samoan culture cold water went the extra mile
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Vaimoana was absolutly amazing! i couldnt recommend highly enough.
the staff was amazing, made us feel very welcomed whilst we were there, went out of their way to help us with anything we needed.
we stayed in an ocean view fale with shared facilities. was a simple room but didnt need anything more, and the shared facilities were close and always kept clean. it was about a 50m walk to the beach from our room and the swimming and snorkelling was perfect! they had a small wharf there which my parner went fishing off and caught a few trevally which was good fun.
if we knew how good it was, i would have happily stayed our whole trip here! not just two nights.

i would happily go back and would highly recommend to anyone going to savai'i.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Tripadvisor reviews were impressive... so I booked and arrived thinking OK I want to see if its true. Just what makes Va-i-Moana special....

Asua harbors nice but not remarkable. Neither is the small beach. Snorkeling unimpressive. Does not hold a candle to Savai'i lagoons... Fales far from five star...

TAFOLA!! Sale warm welcome. Rosie softly, gently engaged in conversation .

Watched staff interact with guests. All were impressive. A recently bereaved lady came for one night, told me she was so looked after that she stayed several nights. An older couple - numerous stays. Cycling groups. Families. Fishermen... All relaxed & happy.

Free use of kayaks to explore the little island & harbor.
A few turtles popped heads up, were so shy & fast, zoomed away. Swimming off the little beach was pleasant. Watching fish from pier. Stayed 3 nights in a Sunset Fale 3. Deck over the rocks. Water under deck when tide was in. Open air bathroom. Great views. Comfy bed. Pillows were hard. Meant to ask for more, (which I'm sure Va-i-Mona would have supplied), but by this time I was on Island Time. Could not be bothered. No matter.

Sunday and Public Holiday weekend...still a home baked birthday cake was arranged at short notice, delivered by staff accompanied by a strumming guitar 'Happy Birthday' serenade...

Sunday seafood buffet lunch 1.30pm. Any other meals were to be ordered prior to 12.30pm. I didn't see the sign. Just wanted a toasted sandwich. Didn't want to make a fuss. Sale graciously insisted I have what I desired.

Fabulous Samoan hospitality. Yes, I understand now. This place has heart.
If your considering Va-i-Moana, do it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

A relaxing two night stay in beach front Fale on the waters edge. Good safe swimming kayaks available for guests use. Food was good and authentic Samoan fare. Full bar facilities with tropical cocktails.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank Dick and Caroly... B
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Its not 5 star but then neither are the prices and I doubt anywhere else in the Pacific can offer such a relaxed time, great food and hospitality and music for the price. Having just been there for 8 days and enjoyed the deep unwind , and I am very familiar with many many places in the Pacific of all grades I really can say I would recommend this place to all ages. Getting there is a bit of a hike: the airport is only minutes and a 20 tala taxi ride to the ferry. While it is only an hour across the advertised shedule often doesn't match reality and its wise to check by phone the day before. It can cost as little as 12 tala to ride, and in July-September whales are usually seen. Dolphins and turtles are frequent too if you know how to look. At Salelologa on the other side a taxi- 120-150 tala - will take you the 75-90 minutes up to the Vaimoana around the eastern side of the island. Ride the crowded buses if they are going that far for far less.
Accommodation can be very basic and cheap and there is a high turnover of young backpacking tourists but the fales, especially over the water have everything you need. I didnt bother to use the aircond unit in my over the water fale and even in October was a bit chilly at night. Water is scarce but drinking supplies are available cheaply form the shop over the road- or less cheaply from the bar when you arrive especially if it is Sunday, and if the pump on the fale runs out reception will turn it on with no problems as soon as requested.
My fale looked a bit daunting when I arrived but inside it was quite spacious, had its only balcony and atached onsuite and outside shower, cold water only is fine when its 32*C.
Food was a part of the package deal and was uniformly excellent: fresh island fruit and pancakes as well as local specialites like a hot papaya and tapioca thick soup for breakfast with toast and island jam. Side orders were very reasonably priced and included omelettes with hame cheese and tomatoes, or bacon and eggs, or a generous big breakfast of sauages/ham/bacon and eggs.
Lunches were by menu and cost above the standard daily charge up to 35 tala maximum - free for those who contributed the fish!- and the night meal was very wellpresented and large, typically a fish and a separate chicken dish plus a vegetable salad or stirfry plus a carbohydrate like potato mash or pasta [the excess fed the stray cats who depended on it much to chargrin of the staff who were always gently shoeing them away]. One night it was grilled half crayfish with a rich cream sauce plus free range chicken drumsticks with a pineapple sauce. Drinks also were reasonable and a fraction of the cost charged in resorts in Fiji.
If you want to experience the people of Samoa then you need to stay at small resorts owned and managed by Samoans. Sure, they may not be as efficient as those managed by palagi, but this gentle laidback way is far more Samoan.

Room Tip: Dont choose a over the water fale if you dont like the sound of gentle waves breaking under the balconey: as for me, it sends me to sleep within minutes. Carry water to the ferry and the ride up to the Vaimoana especially if travelling thru the heat of the day. If the ferry is crowded then the business class is a wonderful cool nearly empty respite , costs 80 tala return and is worth every bit.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Worth the journey from Apia, warmly welcomed, shown to our simple fale overlooking small golden bay, everything you imagine a south sea island retreat to be, coconut palms, brilliant flowers, turquoise water and even turtles. Excellent restaurant, cheap cocktails every night, local musicians, attentive service, freshly caught fish. Mosquito net and fan in our room, no bugs and a cooling trade wind breeze, slept well. Glorious staff, who fulfilled our every need, even taking us to Church and other sights we wanted to see. We are "vintage" travellers, but the staff made it so easy for us and became our friends so that we will be happy to return here next year. A big big thank you.

Room Tip: When we return, we would ask for a "sunset" sale, I think fale number 11
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple