All reviewssunset falebreakfast and dinnerfishdaily activitiesfree kayaksincluded in the pricemahi mahistar resortcoconut demonstrationcocoa ricefiafia nightdietary requirementsown bathroomsimple beachsamoan culturecold waterwent the extra mile
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stayed at Vai Moana in September and mmm, yes, I have been putting off writing this review, as I do not particularly like saying negatives things on reviews, unless essential.
First, the positives…
We found staff at Vai Moana to be all warm, friendly and helpful. The food, whilst simple, was adequate, and plenty of it.
The pretty little bay the resort is set in could be greatly improved. The sand needed replenishing. Black dirt showed through the sand in many areas. Three sunlounges on the beach – hard as rocks, with no cushioning. Beach quite rocky, shabby and unkempt. Whilst this part is naturally rocky, it could have been improved with simple raking of the beach every now and then. Woven umbrellas on the beach in bad condition, wooden steps and hand rails needed repairing. We found it strange when on a walk around the back of the resort to find two female staff bending down for quite some time picking up leaves on the grass by hand. This time and effort could have been spent trying to tidy up the beach.
No snorkeling from shore, but we were aware of this.
We experienced an extremely unpleasant attitude from management (namely Michelle), who mucked us around with our booking, denied receiving our emails, both prior to arriving in Samoa and also once we had arrived in the country. We had been advised we would receive a 10% discount if we pre-paid before leaving for our trip. Advised Vai Moana several times by email prior to leaving that we would like to pre-pay, but could not get a reply to our emails. Did not receive a warm welcome when we did arrive for our stay, but instead a very vague ‘Oh you are here’ type of attitude.
Not given requested room for first night and had to move fales on day two.The evening of day one we realized why the resort did not seem to want our booking. A very large Samoan contingent were staying at the resort and the better rooms were given to them.
Vai Moana has the potential to be much nicer. Show some pride in your beach Vai Moana. Give it some sand and keep it clean, some comfortable sunlounges (and more of them) , fix the shabby umbrellas and railings. These things are ‘fixable’, but I don’t know if the rude attitude of the manager is. An ok stay, only made so by the other lovely staff. Unfortunately, when initial arrival and circumstances are unpleasant, it is a hard one to get over, even when all the other staff were delightful and couldn't do enough for us.
I am glad to say this was our only unpleasant experience with anyone else during our three and a half week stay in Samoa, at various resorts.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chinta1
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Okay, this is going to be a lobg review BUT worth the read! :)

On th 22nd November 2013 my husband and I checked in at Va-i-moana Seaside Lodge. It was a suprise 4year anniversary for my husband and I.

I paid for our room ($270WST) & also a special cake ($35WST) as it was VERY special for us, i paid this amount in advance. EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE started from when I talked with Michelle on the phone for my request & reservation. She was sooooo HELPFUL! I called numerous times because I wanted this to be PERFECT and she never EVER hesitated my questions and was not tired of me calling her! Dhe was just tremendous! :)

So here we are, I got to meet Michelle and boooooy that SMILE just brighten my day! My husband who was just suprised about our trip as it was a SUPRISE 4year anniversary Dinner Celebration & also something romantic for us to share! She told my husband and I to sit at the bar and RELAX and Sese (Bar tender) will guve us a complimentary Smooothie as a welcome drink! How special did we both felt? VERY SPECIAL!

The prices on their beer are very cheap.. $6WST for a small bottle of Vailima or Sama Pure? PERFECT! It all adds up cause they have to order from Apia so for the distance for that price for a beer? Im not complaining! Its all worth it! :) So, a young Samoan girl, very pretty with her beautiful smile came and escorted my husband and I to our room as it was ready!

Now the room was just SPEECHLESS! I couldnt imagine how PERFECT everything was! I was blown away as much as my husband was blown away by my suprise for him! Basically it was a suprise for both of us now! It had CLEAN green sheets and it matched the setting of the room as it was a chocolate brown with white flowers! The air con was just amazing, really cooled us both down and also the fans. The balcony was so cool like we could opeb the front door just like a sliding door type and sit out there on the deck on the chairs and have a beer or 2 just to enjoy and soak in that heat sun! The awesone view of the beach was just amazing! RELAXED indeed we both were!

Now dinner time. My husband and I were having a couple of drinks and Taka (the porter/waiter & bar tender night shift) came a set up our front balcony with candles lite everywhere, placed our table outside the deck with folk and knife utilities for both and beautifully done up napkins! Oh my! I just couldnt breath! All the hard work that young fella put in to making this night for my husband and I EXTRA SPECIAL was just amazing! And they do this on REQUEST with fee charged! How amazing is tha i couldnt ask for more! So we asked Taka if he could bring in our dinner, with his respect he was waiting on me and my husband when to serve as we were having more than a few at that point haha. When Taka came with dinner oh we were shocked at the amount and how many food were on our plate! We wernt complaining we just wantef to dig in! We had Gril Fish with white creamy sauce, stir fry boneless chicken (local veges), rice & crab meat Green salad! Yuuuuuummy! We were so full! We enjoyed it sooooo much that we couldnt stop talking about it the next morning! It is the BEST food i have tasted in Samoa! Highly recommend it when you stay at this beautiful amazing place!

And the last suprise was the HOMEADE CHOCOLATE CAKE with LEMON & CHOCOLATE ICING! Ohhhhhhhh soooo speechless and so HAPPY! FULL OF IT! We shared it with everyone! Took heaaaaaps of photos which i will upload!

This place is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! My husband and I are definitely coming back on January! They have everything! This place is PERFECT fir families and couples! I can say this because I have been here and Michelle, Sese & Taka have THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE WHOLE OF SAVAII! THEY WILL LOOK AFTER YOU!

My husband and I walked in with a great biiiig SMILE and definitely walked out with one! To the owners of this Lodge: Good on you! For training your staff to treat us tourists and locals so SPECIAL! I mark this with my heart! I love you guys and it was sad that we had to leave but we are so coming back! No doubt about that!

Cheers

Meipo (Mayble) Salanoa

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meipo21
Reviewed 18 November 2013

all the wonderful and friendly people there made me feeling at home in paradise with very delicious vegeterian meals, Fales very comfortable to stay, help at every time for everything, the chance to learn the samoan way of life, easy way to rent a car and to have very good local tour-guides on my travel around the island, who helped me to find all the wonderful places. I want to say thank you to everybody there and I am sure I will come back and enjoy this beautiful place in paradise again. TOFAA

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Thank Andrea Christin... S
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Vaimoana was absolutly amazing! i couldnt recommend highly enough.
the staff was amazing, made us feel very welcomed whilst we were there, went out of their way to help us with anything we needed.
we stayed in an ocean view fale with shared facilities. was a simple room but didnt need anything more, and the shared facilities were close and always kept clean. it was about a 50m walk to the beach from our room and the swimming and snorkelling was perfect! they had a small wharf there which my parner went fishing off and caught a few trevally which was good fun.
if we knew how good it was, i would have happily stayed our whole trip here! not just two nights.

i would happily go back and would highly recommend to anyone going to savai'i.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Tripadvisor reviews were impressive... so I booked and arrived thinking OK I want to see if its true. Just what makes Va-i-Moana special....

Asua harbors nice but not remarkable. Neither is the small beach. Snorkeling unimpressive. Does not hold a candle to Savai'i lagoons... Fales far from five star...

TAFOLA!! Sale warm welcome. Rosie softly, gently engaged in conversation .

Watched staff interact with guests. All were impressive. A recently bereaved lady came for one night, told me she was so looked after that she stayed several nights. An older couple - numerous stays. Cycling groups. Families. Fishermen... All relaxed & happy.

Free use of kayaks to explore the little island & harbor.
A few turtles popped heads up, were so shy & fast, zoomed away. Swimming off the little beach was pleasant. Watching fish from pier. Stayed 3 nights in a Sunset Fale 3. Deck over the rocks. Water under deck when tide was in. Open air bathroom. Great views. Comfy bed. Pillows were hard. Meant to ask for more, (which I'm sure Va-i-Mona would have supplied), but by this time I was on Island Time. Could not be bothered. No matter.

Sunday and Public Holiday weekend...still a home baked birthday cake was arranged at short notice, delivered by staff accompanied by a strumming guitar 'Happy Birthday' serenade...

Sunday seafood buffet lunch 1.30pm. Any other meals were to be ordered prior to 12.30pm. I didn't see the sign. Just wanted a toasted sandwich. Didn't want to make a fuss. Sale graciously insisted I have what I desired.

Fabulous Samoan hospitality. Yes, I understand now. This place has heart.
If your considering Va-i-Moana, do it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple