All reviews sunset fale breakfast and dinner fish daily activities free kayaks included in the price mahi mahi star resort coconut demonstration cocoa rice fiafia night dietary requirements own bathroom simple beach samoan culture cold water went the extra mile
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was on holiday and spent 5 nights here and have to say the location and the staff made this paradise! The staff went out of there way for me. The lobster was absolutley divine! They even made me a cake for my birthday and all sang! I have to say I will definetly be back at some point! Thanks to Sale and the team! Carlos.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank duncanh599
Reviewed 25 April 2014

First the bad
We just celebrated our first anniversary in Samoa and our first stop was Vaimoana. Booked months ago into a sunset fale, as it has always been a wish of ours to stay over water. When we arrived after a very long travel we found that there was a mix up with bookings and we would not be getting the sunset fale. We later spoke to the people who received these rooms and it would seem that there bookings were made much much later than ours, only they arrived first.

we were moved to another room that was incredibly noisy, not on the water and did not feel romantic or private due to the large amount of children running around all sides of it yelling into the evening and again from early morning.
We were moved to a better room for the next two nights, but no hot water, not very clean, stains on towels and chairs, all added to the disappointment of already not getting the room we booked and paid a deposit on months previous.

The good
incredibly friendly staff who speak to you by first name after your first encounter and an absolutely wonderful surprise of our dinner on the last night being set up on a private table by the water, complete with candle light and some bubbles as a gift from staff. This was lovely and really appreciated

i would like to be able to recommend this place based on the staff and the way they went out of their way to make our last night really special, but due to the booking issue, and losing the room to what seemed like some last minute travellers I don't think that I can. Having looked through some previous reviews I can see that this hasn't been an isolated incident where existing bookings are overlooked for another and i personally won't be staying here again.

If not for the friendly staff and the dinner I would have rated this much much lower. the stay, sans the staff and dinner would likely have been a 1.

Room Tip: hope they honour your booking. rooms in the centre priced higher but no view and noisy. although our 'upgrade' to these rooms for not getting what we actually booked was charged at our original booking rate
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LeeW00d
saleimoa, Manager at Va-i-Moana Seaside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank You for your review and feedback as we value what your visit and experience with us, in helping us improve our services. We again apologise for the issues with your booking as we have over and over again during your visit. All our efforts and attempts to apease and make up for our oversight seemed in vain. We upgraded your accommodation , attended issues with shower and organise a beautiful dinner with complimentary champagn(not from staff) to make your visit and anniversary special, at our expense. Your visit coincided with easter weekend and we had a full house with a few children in house which made easter very special. High end resorts have a 'no children' policy but Va-i-Moana is a family run business and cherish all families with children.

We offer no excuses and again regret your visit with us was not to your liking, as every visitors experience is not the same as the others and fully dependent on the individuals expectations. Va-i-Moana is a budget accommodation and not a 3 or 5 star resort and we have developed over the last 5 years to cater for our customers needs but we have always asked for your help and feedback during your visit to help us improve or fix any issues you have during your stay. We have a new reservations manager in training (previous manager resigned, hence double booking) and should avoid future booking issues. We have started a vigorous cleaning training regime for our housekeeping as we have a lot of new staff, to improve servicing and cleaning of rooms. We thank you again for your feedback and hopeful you may visit us again to see improvements.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I hate to give a negative review but sometimes things just need to be said. We arrived here after a long journey over from the other island and I have to say were disappointed with what we found. We had booked their most expensive room, including ac with private bathroom but it was pretty awful. The room was not clean with spiders and bugs all over the place, the furniture so old you didn't want to sit on it. The bathroom was so awful I didn't even want to use it. We had booked for 3 nights but only stayed 1. I had paid in advance so did not get my money back which is an indication of the state of things. I have traveled a lot, stayed in 5 star and bungalows on the beach and am used to different levels of accommodation but cleanliness for me is one of the basic expectations. You can have a 2 or 3 star hotel but still make it spotlessly clean and homely, this is key. On a positive note the staff were friendly and welcoming and if you are in this part of the island definitely check out the canopy walk in one of the villages close by, this is a little adventure worth partaking in. I would not recommend and would not return. Sorry :-(

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jenloves2travel2014

Thank you for your review during you recent visit with us, we value all feedback in helping us improve our service. We regret to hear you visit to us was not up to your standard. Cleanliness is a high priority and have prioritized training regime for the housekeeping staff as we have taken on new staff. We are appreciative that you found our staff friendly as we strive to give the service to our customer to make their holiday a pleasent one. We highly appreciate and ask our guests for all and any feedback during their visit to make their stay a memorable visit and resolve any issues they may have with the rooms or service, it is unfortunate that you did not let us know of any.

We apologised and explained to you when you arrived and informed us you will be staying for one nite because you had other plans, that your booking engines policy dictates our refund policy and we could not refund unless done through the booking engine. Va-i-Moana is a budget accommodation and strive to meet our visitors expectations and offer a service that is above your normal beach fale but is still a budget lodge. We have a few boutique resort around Savaii which offer a 3 - 5 star service and would suit the needs of visitors with higher expectations. We offer a genuine samoan hospitality with friendliness that was genuinely appreciated by yourself at a budget prices with meals included. We thank you for visiting us and hope the rest of your holiday was enjoyable, we will strive to improve our service with the help of your review. Faafetai

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had 5 nights at the Va-i-Moana and although the staff and owner were lovely feel there is a lot of little things that could make this a nicer place to stay. Sheets and towels were stained (big blobs of blood etc.)and smelly which is probably because everything is washed by hand and the towels are used for the beach and your shower. No where to do any washing. No hot water for showers. Same breakfast everyday and I don't think I every want to look at pancakes again. Night meals, the food was tasty but there is no choice, 2 types of meals on the same plate e.g. spaghetti bolognaise (twice) and chicken dish every night with the same salad and usually garlic bread, no light meals, no dessert or being able to order any. Could not eat there last night however they cooked up a lovely meal for lunch with the fish we had caught. Most cocktails on menu not available as don't have ingredients and no juice except grape. Lunch took over an hour every time. A good lick of paint, some decent towels & linen with beach towels, padding on the beach loungers, a choice at dinner time(may bring in some people from the 2 other resorts not far away) and a bit more cleaning would definitely improve this place. The Samoan people are fantastic and so warm and friendly as were the staff here but would not return as felt for the price it was a bit of a let down.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Nicky A
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed 5 nights at the Va i Moana during a holiday visiting both islands of Samoa. Of the Fale accommodation in both islands, this was by far my favourite. One needs to understand that a Fale is not like a hotel or resort. They have character and charm of their own and feel more like a 'glamping' experience. I was very happy with the price I paid with breakfast and dinner included - we were never left hungry. Unlike other fales we stayed in, we didnt have to sit on a massive table with all the other guests at a set time. We were able to sit on our own table and enjoy eating at our own pace. The setting for the restaurant is really nice and the staff are very accommodating. This place has its own small bay and is set away from the hustle and bustle of the more touristy areas. We had a car so found it easy to explore surrounding areas and attractions. There is no pool, but the bay is at your doorstep and if you want fresh water, the staff are more than happy to escort you to the village to have a swim in the cold fresh water spring pool.
The two attractions to this place for me was that it was a peaceful & relaxing and even more appealing was that the staff make you genuinely feel at home and a part of the family here. eg: There was a private dinner on one night with singing and dancing - when I asked the staff if I could sneak a peek, they replied with "Of course you must come - this is your home, you are part of the family" This shows the true warmth of the Samoan people and the connection Va i Moana have with their guests. We left gifted with a lai of beautiful flowers around our necks and the staff standing out the front waving us a fond farewell.

Room Tip: There are open and closed Fales available here. Open fales are set right on the beach with the water lapping under them, I chose a closed fale but I could still hear the ocean & feel the sea breeze by opening the louvers - mosquito nets are great above your bed and well worth using as with all of Samoa. I enjoyed having our own private bathroom, even though they were cold showers - in that heat its all I needed! (remember its camping style not 5 star)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends