“July 2014 - Construction killing it”
Review of Taumesina Hideaway

Taumesina Hideaway
Ranked #20 of 24 Speciality Lodging in Apia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I think the other reviews cover my experience sufficiently, although personally I did not feel safe on my own walking to the town centre, so I felt quite isolated by having to get a taxi anywhere to get any food etc. I seemed to be the only guest staying there, which also felt a little weird. The office and bar/eating area seemed to be closed up all the time which made me feel even more isolated. The staff were very obliging and happy to help, although did not seem to know much English or enter into any kind of conversation with me. I did not realise there is a road separating the studio accommodation from the lagoon and other accommodation. Other reviewers have noted how lovely the lagoon was to swim in, but I personally would not have swam in it - it did not look appealing. The construction happening on the other side of the lagoon certainly put me off and ruined any relaxation opportunity or nice view that I'm sure there once was. My flight was delayed by 7 hours, so I arrived much later than I had told them I would, so there was no one at the airport waiting to collect me as I had arranged, which being a solo female traveller and landing at night, caused confusion and I was approached by a number of men which made me uncomfortable. I also had to pay much more for a taxi. I would have assumed they would have checked flight times, and they told me they had actually not turned up to the airport at all, not even at the original time my flight was due to land which was not very good. The fales are definitely basic, but you pay for what you get and this is not meant to be a fancy hotel. There were strange mounds of "dirt" appearing all over the room, and I'm baffled as to what it was from - perhaps ants, as they were everywhere. The windows all had mosquito nets on which was great.

I could not sleep at night due to dogs fighting nearby, and woke up to roosters crowing and loud construction noises which did not stop all through the day. There were also vehicles and groups of worker men coming by the road through the property throughout the day.

I only ended up staying one night, instead of three, as my plans changed, and the owners were kind enough not to charge me for all three nights, which I really appreciated. They also kindly arranged me a number of taxis which I appreciated. There was surprisingly good internet access there, you just buy 2 hour passes from the office, and it works from your room. I can tell that the owners take pride in their property and take great care of the gardens etc. They seem like lovely people.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GraceE175
There are newer reviews for Taumesina Hideaway

Reviewed 15 July 2014

After reading so many amazing reviews we booked here for an authentic experience. The communication prior to arriving was not great and as we arrived at night I was anxious. However, our driver arrived on time and we were delivered safely. It is a true village experience. We were disappointed Sara, the owner, was not there (away caring for a family member) as we had read so many amazing things about her. Most staff members were non English speaking. Our room was basic and clean. No hot water. There is a resort development taking place across the lake (such a shame) that involves many trucks and equipment going back & forth on the road in front of the cottages- loud and dusty. I imagine this will go on for some time. 2 of the cottages (there are 4 in total) housed workers from that project. There are also 2 fales out front, sitting on the lagoon. We had a few laughs- particularly when wild pigs ran under our cottage and into the front yard- laugh, that's how we met Sara's husband, who was lovely- he was chasing the pigs! That was a highlight. It is isolated if you don't have a car. Don't pay more that $7 tala for a taxi into Apia. We did not swim in the lagoon, but met others who did and said it was beautiful? It is tidal. Again the new resort is ruining paradise. Brekky consisted of cereal, coffee/tea, fresh fruit. On day 1, we also got sausages and day 2, scrambled eggs. It is a true village experience, don't expect 5 star or 4. If you like the adventurous and have a sense of humor (add in car hire) you will love it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank davbro95
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our family stayed at Taumesina Hideaway in April and would definitely recommend it as a base in Apia. It is only a short 5 minute drive from town, but is so peaceful. Beautiful setting right on the lagoon (lovely deep swimming) and cute self contained cottages with all you need for a relaxing stay. We arrived quite early in the morning following our overnight flight from Sydney and were greeted by Sara's big, beautiful smile. She got us settled in our room, then served a delicious breakfast on the sunny deck overlooking the lagoon. We only stayed 2 nights as we were travelling around both islands, but our short time at Taumesina was a highlight of our trip. Sara prepared a huge, cooked breakfast each morning and would then sit with us for half an hour or so and chat with us. She gave us great suggestions for day trips and was really helpful in sorting out a problem we had with our hire car. A perfect host. We spent a very pleasant couple of hours one afternoon at sunset with Sara and her husband Masi sitting on the overwater deck having a drink together, while all the kids played in the water. A truly special memory for us. We are already planning a return trip to Samoa and Taumesina will definitely be on our itinerary. Thank you Sara and Masi - can't wait to return

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leacookie
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed at Taumesina for 5 nights during April 2014 and had a fantastic time.Loved the Garden Fale's they are in a lovely tranquil, quiet area, and still only a 10 to 15 minuite walk from the center of Apia. The private swimming lagoon was awesome to come home to at the end of each day.Having a home cooked breakfast each morning was the best way to get the day started "fill up before you head out to the eastern Upolu beaches"taumesina is about 40mins from the airport and the is an airport shuttle that can get you to and from Taumesina for 30 tala (15$usd) much better option than a taxi as they were charging a minimum 80 tala (40USD)at the time, pre-book the shuttle as flights to Samoa tend to arrive rather awkward times 2.00am being fairly normal.Loved the community and family atmosphere whilst staying here, if your going to stay in a homestay in Apia make sure it is at Taumesina.there is a large resort being built accross from the hideaway it won't be long before the secret is out about this awesome spot :)

Room Tip: pre book the air-port shuttle bus
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank bottlo74
Reviewed 11 May 2014

After three days of staying in basic beach fales with shared bathrooms and no fans or anything else to keep us cool, it was nice to be back in our own private space.
The room had enough beds to sleep four though there were only two of us.
The bathroom shower could have done with some better cleaning as there was lots of dirt around the edges but i was glad to have my own shower for a change.

The fan in the room was pretty strong as was able to keep us cool and comfortable though my partner was worried that it'd fall on our heads as it seemed quite noisy.

Breakfast was lovely and Sara always had a smile on her face when we saw her. I'd recommend Taumesina's Hideaway for anyone on a budget but want to be closeish to town. It's about a 5 Tala trip to get into town.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElHaych
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Taumesina Hideaway is a great place to stay - mainly because of Sara and her family, not to mention the world's friendliest dog.

As others have noted the units themselves are of the same sort of standard as a cabin in a NZ campground plus basic fridge, TV, ensuite bathroom - but set in gorgeous grounds with the lagoon right beside the breakfast area.

Breakfasts were wonderful and Sara appeared on our first Sunday while we were recovering from our late night arrival with plates full of food from her family Sunday dinner!!

We liked feeling part of a village rather than being in a tourists only hotel - yet only a 5 tala taxi into Apia (and we got regular lifts in from Sara and other family members).

Highly recommended as long as you are expecting basic but adequate accommodation rather than hotel standard.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank leeau
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was very pleased I made the effort to discover Taumesina, its tucked out of the way opposite Apia park down Matautu way ( the road that goes inland from by the port, just around the corner from Aggies Hotel)
The buses are frequents (less than a tala) and taxi just 5 tala,but I walked to town most days I was there.
Taumesina is on a lagoon, great for swimming at all tides. It is located at the end of a village road with a reserve around so it feels quite village like even though its close to Apia central.
I stayed in the basic fale with share bathroom, it was comfortable with a good bed and wee balcony, the bathroom was one of the cleanest in Samoa and breakfast by the lagoon was nice.
At only 50 tala for 1 person in the fale or 80 tala in a self contained unit it very good value.
Sara goes out of here way to help make your stay comfortable.
I will be back and would recommend it- there is a new hotel being built across the other side of the lagoon but I didnt find the construction annoying- (about 1 truck an hour driving past during the day)- when you compare that to most places in the centre where you have buses, traffic, roosters and music close by day and night its very peaceful

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank amysmum578
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Samoan Outrigger Hotel
Taumeasina Island Resort
Dave Parker Eco Lodge
Dave Parker Eco Lodge
#15 of 29 in Apia

Been to Taumesina Hideaway? Share your experiences!