“Last minute to Tanoa Tusitala”

Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Apia
Purcells Pen, Saint Catherine, Jamaica
“Last minute to Tanoa Tusitala”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We booked in at 1am and checked out at 11am a short visit as we were meant to go back to our family house after a night out but the drive was too long and the driver was drunk hahaha so we checked into Tanoa with our cousins and for the short time we were there it was great the rooms were clean and spacious we even had 5 guys fit our of our rooms and a single bed was brought in for them. The boys booked in earlier in the night and made use of the bar and they said the staff were very nice. They could supply more towels (theres a sign that actually says guests have to pay for missing towels!!) weird no locks on the bathroom tho ..
Overall a great stay, will definitely be staying there for our family reunion next year so we can make use of the wonderful pool they have

Room Tip: get a map of the place .. it gets a bit confusing especially at night where your room is
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Talofa and Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Pleased that you enjoyed it, even if you weren't here for long. We look forward to welcoming you back next year for your family reunion. Happy Travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a number of shortcomings, which have been noted by others as well. We found the staff friendly and helpful. Those on the front desk absolutely clueless about the most simple of questions, but attempted to help, with a bit of prompting. We had some confusion over our bill, (had booked a long stay package all prepaid) and this required a bit of 'discussion' when it came time to check out. It was sorted out, but a 5 day hold on my credit card of $1500 tala (after checking out) was still insisted on, even though it was all prepaid more than 6 months before the actual visit and the small extras settled in cash on departure.
We only had breakfast in the restaurant, which was OK, but ordinary- e.g a very small selection of fresh fruit, empty dishes not replenished, no variation in the 10 days we were there. Imo our waiter was excellent- well trained, friendly and professional.
The rooms are big, and nicely appointed, though the mattresses are lumpy and seriously uncomfortable.- only one towel each was supplied (apart from hand towel and facecloths) The bathroom/basin was not cleaned throughout our 10 day stay.
The pool area is lovely and newly refurbished.
The prices for the Internet are absolutely eye watering! Totally exorbitant and as a result soured all interactions with the hotel. If you need the Internet, I suggest you go to Digicel about 2 blocks down and pay $4 tala for 4 hrs, or buy a local simcard etc.
We love Samoa, (our 5th visit,) though the first to this hotel. We will be back again, but not to this hotel.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Talofa, and Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I have taken note of your concerns and they will be addressed with all departments. We are continuously training and up skilling our staff, and working to improve our service. Thank you for the positive comments on Imo, I will pass them on to him. Internet costs in Samoa are expensive unfortunately. We would love to welcome you back on your next visit.
Happy Travels.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I recently stayed for a week for work and found the hotel satisfactory but not outstanding. Room was spacious and clean, had a decent desk for work, a comfortable reading chair and a balcony with plastic furniture. Towels, toiletries and shower were fine. A room safe is provided. The bed was large but the mattress was soft and sagged. It would be inadequate if you have back problems. The breakfast was satisfactory, but like many places in Samoa, the offerings of fruits and vegetables are limited. Lunch and dinner were not gourmet but acceptable and not overpriced by Samoan hotel standards. If high quality food is desired, go to one of the upscale restaurants. The reception and restaurant staff were always gracious and pleasant. The restaurant service can be a bit slow and chaotic, but it is made up for by graciousness. I got a late checkout to 6 p.m. for 100 tala which seemed reasonable. All in all a decent experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Talofa and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us at Tanoa. I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Samoa. Happy travels.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The general manager of this hotel is abrupt, rude and lacks interpersonal communication skills. I watched this general manager belittle staff in front of other staff and hotel patrons. She is unable or unwilling to give cultural advice or any suggestions regarding what to do in Samoa- giving brief unrelated responses only. It appears that she prefers hotel patrons keep their stay short. Her communication skills are atrocious. A good manager would keep the staff informed of changes of entertainment events. I missed out on several entertainment gigs and perks because no one mentioned them. On the other hand, one event (the popular Fiafia) that was advertised in the lobby for patrons of the hotel for days did not occur at all as promoted. According to the manager, the Fiafia event was reserved for a private group only. This information was related to me on the day of the event, days after staff repeatedly suggested that I attend the event- and I planned to do so. It was disappointing to miss out on some cultural experiences during my brief stay in Samoa.
Lastly, many of the amenities that were advertised by this hotel are not available. I consider this fraudulent advertising. This may have an impact on the hotel’s ability to process credit cards in the future.
The disorganised general manager of this hotel demonstrates questionable competence and lack of professionalism. This greatly diminishes the experience of Samoa.
I feel bad for the staff that she verbally and emotionally abused.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kirk a
Tanoa T, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Talofa, I am very sorry and also very surprised to receive your feedback this morning. I am very concerned about your comments you have made, and would really like the opportunity to discuss with you. Can I ask you to please email me your contact details on gm@tanoatusitala.com so I can contact you directly. I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We have just returned from Samoa - we loved the country and its friendly people but were bitterly disappointed in the Tanoa Tusitala Hotel. I cannot find much to recommend this Hotel to anyone except for the excellent Fiafia Night on Thursday evening. First of all, we arrived at the ungodly hour of 5.00 am after being on a plane overnight and not having slept for nearly 24 hours! There was hardly anyone staying at the Hotel at the time and our room was vacant and had been cleaned. We were so tired and hot and requested an early check-in. The reception staff were so mean spirited they refused us access to our room (only 2 hours earlier than the 2.00 pm check-in) unless we paid an exorbitant AUS $80.00 fee! Considering we forked out over AUS$1,000 to stay there for a week, I found the callous attitude of the receptionist extremely inhospitable - and that was my FIRST impression! The second point is that the reception staff were also completely unprofessional. We had PRE-PAID our account before we left Australia and when we asked for a print out of our bill, we noticed that all the accommodation was back on the account. THREE TIMES we raised this with the receptionists there who were either totally computer illiterate or just couldn't be bothered to amend the error. On the last evening, when they finally DID amend the error, we got a phone call to say that we were not paying enough and that our check-out was on the 26th - what they failed to see was that in clear, bold letters on top of the account it clearly stated we had paid for the SEVEN NIGHTS. The receptionist didn't even have the decency to apologise to us after almost accusing us of underpaying on our account. In addition, the food served at this Hotel was mediocre. Unlike the deplorable lack of customer service provided by the poorly trained receptionists, I could not fault the friendly and professional manner of the restaurant and cleaning staff. I say to the Manager, get your act together if you expect to attract return custom by overseas visitors - if you go that extra mile instead of mean-spirited penny pinching, you will gain in the long run.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so if you are handicapped in any way, ask for a room on the ground floor facing t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Katie1108
Talofa and Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you experienced such disappointing service from the front office team. We do offer regular training and are always working on improving our level of service. Appreciate your positive feedback on the restaurant and housekeeping staff, that too will be passed on.
We hope that we will see you again on your next trip to Samoa.
Happy Travels
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The staff at this hotel and especially at reception and the food areas was very good. I had a great room that was very clean and I was very happy with this. The room had a great outlook and the entire hotel grounds are really very nice.

Breakfast, whilst not being expansive, was sufficient for most tastes. I ordered my fried eggs each morning and they were cooked as ordered and delivered in a timely fashion. Once again the staff were very attentive and clearly enjoyed their work.

I ate at the Deck Bar each night. Enjoyed the happy hour with a different cocktail each night and beers at happy hour prices. I had two appertiser meals so I got some variety. The sashimi was very good and I had that both nights. On the first night I also had the Thai Chicken Larb. Now whilst it couldn't be described as larb as it was chopped and not minced it was still very nice. It had a nice background chilli taste that would suit most people and was well cooked with some nice side vegetables. On the second night I also had some Lamb. Once again this was very nice with some chutney. All in all the food was good value and once again the service was very good.

The one thing that has taken the gloss off this stay is that a jacket was removed from my wardrobe on the first day of my visit. As it turns out I didn't discover this until late afternoon on the second day and they were able to recover it. I accept the explanation that the maid thought this was a check out room and placed the item into lost and found. The issue I have is the subsequent processes they have to deal with a circumstance such as this. Surely having found the garment, and thinking that it belonged to a person who had left some effort would have been made to contact that person. One would have thought that in the process of doing this they would have discovered I had not actually checked out. The only thing you can surmise from this is that there is no such process. If this isn't the case I would love to hear an plausible explanation as to why they did not discover I had not checked out. In any case it has caused me question the level of honesty of this establishment which is a shame as the accommodation, staff and food was very good.

Some other things they may want to look at is providing some instructions for use of the in room safe. Not all room safes are the same and in my case I wrongly assumed that just inputting a new code on the front panel, as I did at the last place I stayed and closing the door was OK. Alas this was not the case and I couldn't get back into it. Having said that when I went to reception and threw myself on their mercy they came and opended it up for me and gave me instructions on how to set the new combination. He did not leave until he had confirmed it was all OK so kudos for this.

If it wasn't for the jacket incident I would willingly recommend this hotel resort to anybody but in the back of my mind something tells me that something is wrong with why they didn't find out that I was still there. A shame really but when you stay somewhere what matters is the overall experience.

3 Thank srburges
Talofa and Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I recall our discussions around your coat, and unfortunately the staff did think that you had checked out of the room, as there was no other luggage there. As you mentioned though they should have followed this up. I can assure you there was nothing untoward. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Happy Travels.
brisbane, australia
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I know another country which has marketed itself as the Land of Smiles, but Samoa is definitely the Island of Smiles and the well-trained, courteous staff at Tanoa Tusitala are gems! Not an unhappy one amongst them. My husband & I have just spent 6 nights there.We had Room 420, which looks into lush gardens. Good quality toiletries, towels, room fittings & A.C. His side of the k.s. mattress might need replacing as mine seemed firmer ( 2 king singles put together ). There are some building issues the management should consider looking at - e.g. some "drummy" floor tiles, but more importantly the way water flows out of the shower area - falls are wrong internally, and the water leaks out onto the external tiles near the entrydoor, but these are issues for construction/facilities management & may prove too costly to remedy at this stage, and they didn't impact on enjoyment. Given Samoa is so remote and has endured Cyclone Evan in recent months and other natural disasters over recent years, we were happily surprised by the standard of this hotel. Well trained staff at breakfast which was more than adequate for us. Lovely pool area (2 pools).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. Pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. I have taken up your maintenance issues with the department, and they are being resolved. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Samoa. Happy Travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Taumeasina Island Resort
Saletoga Sands Resorts
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu

Been to Tanoa Tusitala Hotel? Share your experiences!