“Friendly ,”

Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Apia
“Friendly ,”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at tanoa in January for 4 days and we both were treated like royalty. Our checkin process was so quick and was shown to our room in a matter of minutes. Our room was really big and spacious and the bathroom was nice aswell

The staff were very friendly and ensure that we were looked after they were also a big help when it came to tourist attractions which they gave us very informative advice which was great!

We both enjoyed the fiafia night which was full of entertainment and laughs and is one way to experience a bit of Samoan dancing and food. Definitely a must see.

The only little picks I would have to say is our shower base was quite dirty and the swimming pool needs it tiles to be fixed as my partner did cut his leg and toe. At night for room service more variety of foodchoices but overall I would definitely come back
Thank you heaps !

Stayed January 2014
GMTTH, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Talofa lava Ariana G,

Well thank you Ariana for your positive comments regards your stay here with us at Tanoa Tusitala. We think we have a pretty special team here too, so your comments about their affability and professionalism, is much appreciated.

I wish to let you know that our daily room inspections have intensified to incorporate a spring clean of bathroom facilities now that the property has quietened marginally. Thank you for highlighting the need and apologies for the less than perfect housekeeping.

Also after much planning and preparation we have been able to schedule in a complete overhaul of our pool and surrounding areas. The pool was emptied, retiled and repaired before being cleaned and refilled. Quite an operation, as it requires coordinating with overseas operators as well as incoming guests, but it is now back in full working order. You can imagine the difficulties we had over our busy period to schedule this in, so I must apologise for the conditions you experienced while here, you certainly will not encounter these problems next time.

Our menus and restaurant venues are all under revue currently so an upgrade should be forthcoming in the very near future.

Again Ariana, many thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime again soon.

Best wishes

Peter Kerr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Am staying here for a week and have been most impressed with the hotel. Having read some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive. Arrived in middle of night staff checked me in very quickly. Although a previous review commented on no lifts a porter was waiting to take my luggage up to the second floor. The room is very spacious, well appointed, very modern. I cannot fault it. Toiletries are replenished each day. The bar serves as the restaurant as well with an adequate selection of meals. I was a little disappointed on Sunday that the caesar salad was off as they had no lettuce!! The other meals I had had very generous portions. The buffet breakfast had a good selection of hot and cold food. The only downside was the wifi which I consider a necessity these days. It was expensive. I used Bluezone which was slightly cheaper and if you bought 2 hrs you could come in and out until two hours was used up.
Although my room overlooks the pool I have not been disturbed.
The outstanding fact are the staff. Without exception from those tending the gardens, the reception or the bar staff, they are all so friendly and always pass the time of day. I am really enjoying my stay and would recommend it without reservation

Room Tip: I am in 221 and it was not noisy
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Talofa lava Richard,

We would like to thank you Richard, for taking the time to pass on your valued comments and observations. It certainly assists us in highlighting to the staff the areas that they need to improve in.

I must apologise for the lack of salad on Sundays. Owing to the heavy rainfall we had encountered prior to your arrival, fresh salad greens became almost impossible to purchase locally, with next to no supply over the weekends. Now that the inclement weather has passed, so has the problem for now.

Unfortunately, I think that most Island Nations seem to bear the burden of hefty internet charges and is more a local Government problem than a Hotel problem. That is in the process of being rectified. We have been promised that in the very near future, not only will the internet be twice as fast, but greatly reduced in price, fingers crossed! Even more of a frustration for those of us who live here full time I can tell you.

Again, many thanks for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Tanoa Tusitala in the future.

With best regards

sydney
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Just returned two days ago from Tanoa Tasitala and wondered if we had stayed at the same hotel as "Poor service, dangerous pool, no towels and cats". Considering we were there at the same time, our experience was vastly different.

From the moment we arrived we were treated like old friends. Nothing was too much trouble for the very friendly staff.

The rooms are clean, modern and well equipped. We did not expect clean towels every day as we don't do that at home and it is clearly stated in the information pack that they try to conserve water and energy. Towels were available on request and pool towels were available with no drama.

The breakfast was good considering that we only have a continental breakfast but hot food was available. The signing process did become a little annoying as it was included in our package and we were told that we still had to sign. It did not show up on our final bill but I do think that that process could be more streamlined.

The live music was pleasant and unobtrusive and tended to finish around nine thirty or so. I do agree that the menue could be a little more varied but the meals we did have we're well cooked and fresh. (the wandering cat did not bother us).

One downfall was that the staff recommended there own taxi drivers and although competent and safe, the young man we used had no knowledge of the places we went to and did not offer much information at all. We hired him twice for the day and consequently found that it was considerably cheaper to negotiate with drivers from up the road and those drivers seemed to have a better grasp of the history and what ŵe wanted as tourists. On the price, it cost us half the amount as it did with the recommended driver from the hotel which left us feeling ripped off.

Overall the hotel staff are professional and friendly. There cultural night was fantastic, with a lot of energy and passion and we would definitely go back. This is a peaceful and relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are quiet and overlook the tennis courts. However they also overlook the chil...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Talofa lava lekatSydney

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Tanoa Tusitala and especially for taking the time to comment and share your experiences.

In the short time we have been here as Managers we have made some noticeable improvements and are grateful that this reflected in your comments. High season is always a test on a properties resources, including it’s people, so we are so pleased that your overall experience was positive.

I apologise for your negative experience with a recommended tour guide. Our Front Office Staff have since been advised that only reputable, qualified guides are to be used in future, preferably our in house operator “Discovery Tours”. They are a professional and reasonably priced company who we are building a quality working relationship with.

Further training in our Food and Beverage areas will hopefully eliminate the annoying, inconveniences you encountered at breakfast. We are always looking to improve our procedures and systems and appreciate your feedback.

We hope to welcome you back to Samoa sometime in the future and to the Tanoa Tusitala.

With best regards

auckland
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Staff friendly and helpful, communicative and responsive to all requests, they genuinely tried to make us comfortable and happy. Having stayed here a couple of years ago I think that the rooms are still beautiful but the bathrooms may need a little attention to the grouting and floors due to soap buildup and moisture related grime. Our bathroom floors were clean on arrival but not scrubbed during our stay and so a progressive buildup of grime on the floor during our 9 night stay was a little off putting. Mould removal to the shower area grouting and corners would also be good to catch in what looks like early stages before the bathrooms deteriorate. Perhaps changing the colour of the grouting in the shower area may helpful as the shower was still clean but the discolouration of some of the grouting made it appear less so. The housekeeping staff made sure that we had enough towels etc. Pool towels were almost always available except for one day when they ran out due to high usage and people not returning them. A staff member then ran to the laundry to get more towels for us and to find out when they would be available. I have always found that treating the staff with respect and friendliness comes back in kind. The staff were always doing more for us then they were responsible for. The hotel was going to close the pool for maintenance and tiling but we were thrilled they postponed this as the weather was hot and the pool a necessity for kids. Breakfast was fine although we would have enjoyed a change up every now and again. Omelette station was complimentary and we enjoyed the fruit. Just one further note on breakfast.. the serving tongs for the meat and cheeses need to be kept completely separate from the fruit as people would use the same tongs all across the fruit station. Overall I love the location because I like to eat out at local restaurants but I do think that the hotel food could be overhauled and upgraded. The beauty spa was lovely and the complimentary foot massage ritual was inspired as we all went back for more treatments. I recommend this as a great place if you want to be located in Apia and enjoy getting out and about.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
GMTTH, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Talofa lava Scharise,

Many thanks for taking the time to submit your very positive review.

Guests frequently comment on our “Friendly and Welcoming” staff and are particularly appreciative of your acknowledgement.

We appreciate your constructive feedback on the cleanliness of our bathroom grouting and have commenced with a thorough restoration program.

Since your stay, we were fortunate to identify a quiet few days, which provided the ideal opportunity to undertake remedial, work in the swimming pool and surrounds.

Our ideal location, being easily accessible to central Apia, its restaurants and sightseeing options, is an attraction also frequently commented upon by guests.

We thank you most sincerely for recommending our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to our treasured islands in the not-too-distant future.

Kind regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

The renovation of this hotel has benefitted Tusitala greatly. Check in was easy and staff have a good level of english to communicate with their guests.
The rooms are really nice with furnishings which suit the design of the room. King size bed was comfortable and the flat screen tv had clear channels where you could actually see what you were watching.

Breakfast wasn't included but you can pay around $45 tala per person which isn't that cheap but there is a good amount of variety and options for breakfast which is great.

The bar has a good selection of food also and live music while you eat dinner is a good addition to the outdoor-pool environment and feel.
The service from waitering staff can improve as you sometimes needed to call them over to order food or drinks from them.

Overall, I good hotel with a good location right in the township of Apia. It is a hotel standard which most should look to and set their own standards by.
It is cheaper if you're a local rather than an international passport holder to stay at the hotel.
Definitely a hotel I will stay at again on my next visit and to give you an idea of their standard, I would compare them to a Novotel or Mercure hotel.

Room Tip: Room 401 is a great 1st floor corner room with a balcony overlooking part of the tennis court out ba...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
GMTTH, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Talofa lava Enelenz,

First and foremost, thank you for choosing the Tanoa Tusitala Hotel for your stay here in Samoa. We hope that you enjoyed your stay in Apia and are pleased that you found your stay in our hotel pleasant. We also appreciate your kind words about our establishment.

We pride ourselves on our location - just 5 minutes walk from the central business and shopping area of Apia. We would like to apologize that on this occasion our wait staff team members did not deliver the services to which you were entitled. Our Food & Beverage Services Manager is addressing this need.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind Regards

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

I visited Jan 14 stayed for 11 nights.
Whilst probably the best on offer In Apia CBD the Tania Tusitala was a disappointment to say the least!
Where do i start ?
Despite vouchers from travel agent for pre paid transfer from airport - they insisted on us also giving the driver 45 Tala cash on drop off, there was 3 of us staying in a room / everyday it was a challenge to get towels for 3 of us from housekeeping, getting pool towels from the bar was near impossible - we ended up holding onto 3 of each when we built up to three and washing them ourselves - at least until the dryer in laundry broke (wet season). The bathroom shower NEVER got cleaned our entire stay! (Again unless we did so ourselves) - stray cats roamed freely though restaurants at meal times - and slept in the empty rooms !!! Staff left doors of empty rooms open to allow wet touch up paint to dry - i saw many cats sleeping on the made up bed in the room next toe the morning a family with children checked in !!!! If u had room service the plates would sit outside your room up to 24 hours (cats eating left overs off the plates). Again despite having pre paid for breakfasts with accommodation package / wait staff at breakfast insisting we sign in duplicate room charges for 90 tala every morning - and us them repeatedly having to speak to reception staff daily to get the cost removed from our account. Totally limited breakfast buffet ! Cereal fruit toast juice and usual bacon, scrambled eggs, hashbrowns (often scarce depending on time you ate) at 45 tala each ! No discount for children or even an 18 month old toddler ! If u wanted omlette etc that was extra on top of pre paid full breakfast. Getting high chairs (that were not broken) or coffee was also an effort! The pool was dangerous ! There were broken tiles through put - with the pieces of broken ceramic all on the bottom of the pool resulting in many cut feet ! And the filter suction pump was excessively strong and open - i saw one lady's leg get stuck on it and it took hours for her leg to recover - all the time you let staff know about broken tiles they dismissed it ! Even when the owners of the hotel were sitting in the bar chatting ! The menu was limited - same thing every night - and not reasonably priced - they never offered us the kids menu (we realised there was one our second last day when speaking to another unhappy guest) / and the live music at the bar on occasion - although it was nice it was way way too loud to hear yourself think - let alone have a conversation over dinner ! better of going to eat at the resort in walking distance - turn left at drive way - first restaurant you come to ! The beds were so old the springs hurt your back - and to top it off reception staff took my credit card out of site into a different room to charge us on check out and processed the amount twice ! No apologies ! I would go back to samoa but theres no way i would EVER step foot in that place again ! On the positive side ...... Samoa is beautiful ! Our taxi driver "jake" was amazing ! He took us everywhere and even helped me with my children while we swam at a waterfall ! The ocean trench, cave pools under the methodist church, beaches on the east side, waterfalls, villages, churches, and sliding rock are a MUST SEE ! If u need a taxi driver find Jake ! His car is so well maintained and comfortable, his company is great, he is a safe driver and knows Samoa and everyone there ! If I was to say a positive about the hotel ...... The traditional dinner and show on the wednesday night was great and the grounds are beautiful.

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank AussieTravellerWith2
GMTTH, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Talofa lave Aussie TravellerWi,

I thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Tanoa Tusitala with us and bringing to our notice certain significant points of concern which are understandably quite disconcerting and alarming to us. This is a major let down for our entire team as it is our constant endeavor to make every guest experience worthwhile and memorable by providing the exclusive “Tusitala touch” epitomized by personalized care and genuine warmth.

Let me begin by expressing my deepest regret that your experience at Tanoa Tusitala was disillusioning and quite contrary to your expectations.

We admit that there were glaring instances of ineptitude, and serious lapses on our part and we failed on several counts to adequately attend to your needs during your stay with us. The imprudence and negligence displayed by our team members is highly regrettable.

I sincerely apologize for the shortfall in our services and I agree with you that these are mistakes of grave enormity that need to be dealt with comprehensively.

Taking cognizance of the concerns brought forth by you, we understand that there is a dire need for addressing these issues promptly and resolutely. We have been able to recognize our shortcomings and identify the areas in which we need to make improvements. I assure you that we will make a concerted effort and spare no measures to overcome these faults. Our team members are being trained intensively to avoid such regrettable occurrences. Being a dynamic team, we will strive to evolve and reinvent ourselves and our services to ensure that we are able to provide the levels of service synonymous with the Tanoa brand.

I thank you for your constructive critique of the Tanoa Tusitala and express my earnest apologies for the unwarranted inconvenience and distress caused to you. You have my personal assurances that we will learn positively from this experience and use this as a stepping-stone to reach greater heights of excellence in our services through perseverant determination and untiring efforts.

We hope that on your next visit to the Tanoa Tusitala we will be able to offer you an energizing and enriching "Tusitala experience".

Fa’ afetai

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Our family have recently stayed @ Tanoa for our 6th visit in the past 13 years.Tanoa has undergone amazing changes over the years, especially since the Tanoa Group took it over in 2010.Our family of 4 checked in on 20/12/13 & checked out 6/1/14,sadly..
From the moment we arrived we felt like we were home.Peter & Tracy the new GM's have made many changes @ Tanoa in the past month which make it an excellent place to stay.The staff are all very friendly & it is so nice to be greeted with a smile & hello the moment you step outside your room each morning & as you go into the breakfast fale.
The food & service morn,noon & nite are really good & our room was always beautifully kept by Mabel.Any questions were always answered @ the front desk with a smile by Lei or Tai.If they could not help Hem or Peter followed up immediately.
A great place to celebrate the festive season with guitars /singing in the bar early each evening.Lovely Christmas lights & lit Christmas trees through the foyer & bar entry which made us pleased we had booked our 1st ever festive season away from home @ one of our favorite hotels.
Tanoa is central to everything & its great to just head off for a day out & come back to the lovely pool & freshly tidied, clean & spacious air conditioned room.The onsite Spa is well worth a visit & I had 6 visits while there with masseuse Anita & was really impressed each time by her professional approach & great work.
The grounds always feel safe to be in & are really well presented.We always enjoy being able to invite family & friends to come to Tanoa for a meal or drinks & they are also made welcome.
We celebrated Christmas Eve @ the Tanoa Fia Fia night & Christmas Night @ Tanoa with a lovely evening meal of roast turkey, then New Years Eve @ Tanoa with friends & family.
Thank you all once again for making it a family Christmas we will never forget..Hope to see you all for the next festive season.
Chrystal,Pala'amo,Lucas & Camille..

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms near the pool & breakfast are really handy if you have a family.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CBEP2014
Talofa lava Chrystal, Amo, Lucas & Camille,

Warm greetings to you all from your home in Samoa, the Tanoa Tusitala,

We were all so very pleased to hear that you all enjoyed such a wonderful stay at the Tanoa Tusitala

Our wonderful team members are the friendliest hospitality staff in the country. I am not surprised to learn that you were Welcomed “as family” and that their caring nature made this “a holiday to remember.” Your very touching comments will be passed along to the staff specifically nominated and to our general staff body – a huge personal fa’afetai for your kind acknowledgement of their efforts.

As you have discovered, simple courtesies are rewarded ten fold in the genuine and warm-hearted Samoan culture.

We also thank you for your comments in relation to our festive season activities and fiafia night. The property pool is definitely the place to be, especially in the perfect, warm conditions that you experienced during your stay.

Very pleased to learn that you found our housekeeping of a high standard and that your frequent visits to our Senikai Spa was a soothing experience.

We are thrilled to learn that you will be returning to the Tanoa Tusitala again in late 2014.

With kind regards

Peter & Tracy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Taumeasina Island Resort
Saletoga Sands Resorts
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu

Been to Tanoa Tusitala Hotel? Share your experiences!