“Nice and clean rooms”

Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Apia
Sydney, Australia
“Nice and clean rooms”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Rooms are nice, clean and spacious either with balcony on first floor or on ground floor with outside seating area. Service mentality is in general poor and very limited. One evening they run out of mineral water, during the whole stay there was no adapter for my mobile phone charger available. etc. etc, Food offering very limited and poor.
Very central location in walking distance to town, with nice pool though.

Room Tip: first floor with balcony. but far away from the whole day noisy breakfast restaurant!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gary w
GMTTH, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Talofa Gary

As always we appreciate all feedback, particularly if it highlights areas we need to improve. The series of issues that you experienced are indeed unacceptable for a hotel of our caliber and the service you received obviously did not meet your expectations nor parallel the positives that you were kind enough to point out.

Please accept our apologies for falling short in the areas that you have mentioned and feel free to contact me should you be planning to return to Samoa in the future.

Jason and the Tanoa Tusitala team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
NZ
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We were told that Tanoa was a a nice place to stay and we were not disappointed.
Everything was clean tidy and in order. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms are fully modernized and pleasant. We had breakfast which was average but dined elsewhere for dinner.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank watts-up
Talofa Watts up

Thank you for your clear and concise feedback. We are encouraged that our hotel has been recommended to you and you were not disappointed. You have highlighted the tidiness and friendliness at our property but have also identified areas that we need to improve.

We will be reviewing these service issues with the team so we may enhance the overall guest experience.

Indooroopilly, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We spent our last night here, due to a Virgin flight cancellation. Suitably impressed, rooms are well designed. Noticed a few mozzies, fortunately I brought two zappers and slept like a baby. The beds are firm and comfortable. Breakfast was delightful, just wish that fresh juices were available, simply too much sugar for some of us. The bar is comfortable and the staff go out of their way to please. Got a 'bone to pick with Virgin, lunch and dinner were not included, just be mindful.

Room Tip: Take a top floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank philwarner2016
Talofa Quechen

It was indeed unfortunate that your flight was delayed, but on the upside you were able to enjoy an additional day in paradise.

At Tanoa Tusitala we are glad to hear that you appreciated the level of comfort that we were able to offer, in particular we appreciate your comments regarding our breakfast buffet, that whilst modest, provides a more than adequate range of items to start your day.

Now that you have found a home in Samoa at the Tanoa we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

bambino96
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We went to Samoa with limited expectations. What we experienced was overwhelming. Hospitality and food was outstanding, all staff members were so cheerful, warm and friendly we couldn't have asked for me. Final night dinner laid out by Jason and his team for our group 8, put most of the Michelin star chefs to shame. It's a shame we live so far away from Samoa as we would love to return again and again. We spent one full day on the lalomanu beach, which I think is a must do for any visitor to Samoa and another must do is a visit to the R L Stevenson museum and try and ask for Margaret the new Tusitala to guide you through. Thank you again to the team at Tanoa, our special driver/friend Alama for making our stay extra special

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bambino96
GMTTH, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Talofa T20 World Champs

Unfortunately you were only able to experience Samoa's unique brand of Island hospitality for 3 days but safe to say you did fit everything in that was humanely possible in that time. In fact you have outlined an excellent 3 day itinerary in your response which is a perfect guide for any prospective visitors to Samoa.

Your friend Alama is very popular with all our guests, as is the tour at the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum. Thank you for the accolades regarding the food. The kitchen team are proud to have showcased their talents.

We hope that you find time to return to Samoa.

USA
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed away from the Kitano, the Tusitala and now the Tanoa because of all the horror stories I heard about bugs in the room, poor furnishing and etc. I have been to the Tanoa 3 times this year already because Aggies Hotel in Apia is under going remodeling. I am so glad that I was forced to go to the Tanoa, it has been an amazing stay all three times.
I travel to Samoa at least 7 times a year for business or for Family business, I have spent a lot of money at Aggies, both at the resort or in town. I want everyone to know that the Tanoa is beautiful. All the rooms are refurnished and have a beautiful modern and classy appealing look to the room. No ONE bug at all, I was always looking for them everytime I turned on the light, lol, but was pleasantly pleased with not seeing one. The bathrooms are large, clean and towels are clean too. Lots of room in the closets, and then the room large, the bed is comfortable and the AC works all the time. Love the large flat screen in all the rooms.
Tanoa Management, I would do what Aggies does and Aga Reef Resort, add movies to your television channels so that guest can watch all types of movies that repeat themselves and are changed every week, it will be good for the travelers, especially since everything closes down at 4pm in Samoa.
The food is incredibly deliciously and well prepared. Very gourmet and well platted. You cant go wrong. The bar is pleasant and cools down when the sunsets.
The checkin staff at the receptionist desk are way cool and very friendly. Vasa the manager at the front desk is very accommodating. We, a group of 8, had to make many changes and she was always willing to help. We stayed at the Presidential Suite to the King deluxe rooms, they were spot on beautiful and Im staying here from now on. Enjoy, you will love the Tanoa.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor rooms, they have the best view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PapaliiJuniorPatane
Talofa Papalli Junior

The team at Tanoa Tusitala are extremely proud of the service they provide and the hotel itself. As you have pointed out, a comprehensive renovation, new owners and committed staff have reinvigorated the property.

In particular, thank you for mentioning Vasa in your comments, she is a new member of our team and I am glad that her efforts and warm hospitality were a stand out.

We will look at the viability of providing a "movie feed" for our guests. Thank you for that suggestion.

In closing, we all look forward to the re-opening of the iconic Aggie Greys but moreover take great encouragement that you have found a new home away from home here at the Tanoa Tusitala.

Regards

Jason and the Tanoa Tusitala team.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Tanoa Tusitala is a great place to start your Samoan stay. It is really close to the centre of Apia (the capital). The grounds are pretty, and walkways undercover which is great for avoiding the sudden downpours. You can purchase laundry tokens to do your own washing from reception, (5 tala to wash, 5 tala to dry), which is great. The rooms are enormous, and very comfortable. It is lovely to have good air con, but don't expect to watch much on TV (they are enormous, but don't really have much choice - but really you aren't there to watch TV). The main pool is lovely, and you can get out of the sun with umbrellas and shade, and there is a smaller chillier pool as well which is really refreshing. Staff were friendly and helpful (I watched quite a number of them help an elderly man who had returned from a medical visit after a fall, and their compassion was lovely, without being intrusive). It would be good if they had some more tourism information, as the Samoan Tourist Centre is pretty useless.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the laundry, and from the breakfast restaurant. Sometimes the noise of trol...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shell123_10
GMTTH, General Manager at Tanoa Tusitala Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Talofa Lava Shell 123

We are always proud to welcome our guests to the Tanoa Tusitala and it was wonderful that you were able to witness first hand the compassionate, welcoming nature of our staff. I will pass on your observations and sentiments to the team.

Glad to note that you took full advantage of our facilities from the pool to our self service laundry. (We also are equipt to offer an exclusive laundry service upon request).

You are correct in noting that there are not a myriad of channels accesible here in Samoa, however I would urge our guests to travel with an external hard drive, plug in to our enormous TVs, and take time out to catch up on your viewing in our spacious air conditioned rooms.

We look froward to welcoming you back to Samoa.

Timaru, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 April 2014

There are plenty of really good positive features with the Tanoa - the staff are friendly, honest and helpful, the rooms are spacious and nice and clean, the breakfasts are good, and the internet works well (extra charge, but reasonable).

I spent two separate nights there at either end of a business trip, and it was really nice to use the facilities and get a good nights sleep. The beds are comfortable and the hotel generally quiet and restful. The Tanoa is well located close to the centre of Apia.

For me the Tanoa let itself down on a couple of minor points - due to travel disruptions we had to cancel the second separate night booked, and then rebooked the night a few days later at short notice. With two of us travelling for business this meant two separate rooms. All up across the two nights for two people, breakfasts and internet we spent about NZD $1,000 at the Tanoa.

The Tanoa charged us a booking fee of $35 per room to cancel, even though we gave a weeks notice of this. No doubt their policies allow them to do this, and it is all perfectly legitimate - but it just didn't pass the 'does this feel right' test for me, especially when we later rebooked the rooms. It is very small change really, but it is not how I expect to be treated by hotels, and I thought I would let people know of this practice by the Tanoa so they can be aware of it. I have raised the issue with the booking agent in NZ as well, but it still feels like sharp practice.

The second issue related to the late booking on the second leg of the trip - these had been prepaid from NZ, and whilst they had my colleagues booking, they could not find mine. Resulting from this it took 20 minutes to check in, and then at check out the next morning they issue was still not resolved, and required me to show them the email/PDF on my laptop and quite a bit of messing about before they accepted the voucher had been paid. About 30 minutes to check out. Given the two prepaid vouchers were together I was trying to work out how they had one and not the other. It all got resolved fine in the end, but took time and hassle that shouldn't have happened.

In summary, the Tanoa is a very nice, clean, friendly hotel and I am sure most would really enjoy staying there. I had two good nights sleep there, and enjoyed their friendliness and hospitality.

The check-in and booking fee issues I experienced detracted from my overall enjoyment of the Tanoa. I am expecting to be in Apia another couple of times this year, and I will probably look for alternative accommodation next time I am there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Ross W
Talofa Ross W

Our proximity to Apia central and the friendly comfortable enviroment that the Tanoa Tusitala presents are indeed something we are proud to showcase.

I would like take the time to address some of your concerns that you have highlighted, as it is important for us to improve and evolve our customer experience.

We do acknowledge that you gave adequate notice when cancelling your booking and can assure you that it is not the policy or the practice of Tanoa Tusitala to apply a cancellation fee outside the one week grace period. In this instance I notice that you booked through a travel agent and it was them that have applied these charges.

The other issue that you have highlighted is indeed something that we have control of and in this instance our handling of the matter and the inconvienience it caused you and your collegue will be addressed with a view to avoiding this in the future.

Please accept our appologies and please dont hesitate to contact me personally prior to making travel arrangements in the future.

We value your patronage and would like the opportunity to welcome you back to Samoa.

Jason and the Tanoa Tusitala team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Samoan Outrigger Hotel
Litia Sini Beach Resort
Aga Reef Resort
Aga Reef Resort
#5 of 30 in Apia
Sinalei Reef Resort & Spa
Taumeasina Island Resort

Been to Tanoa Tusitala Hotel? Share your experiences!