“Great”

Samoan Outrigger Hotel
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Apia
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We travelled to Samoa last September, and stayed in a fale. Great experience, friendly staff, all round, great pleace to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 May 2011

The Outrigger is not close to the beach. The rooms are decorated nicely but not in the best condition. The bathroom wasn't very nice. There was air conditioning and a walk out patio which was nice. A small pool in the backyard which is the area you eat your complimentary breakfast. Breakfast was fresh papaya, coconut, lychee and toast. I enjoyed the breakfast. Friendly staff. Close to Apia but Apia isn't really nice. If you're looking to stay in Apia though, stay at Aggie's. It's a much nicer place, a resort with a nice restaurant and a pool. We hung out there all day because everything was closed on Easter Sunday when we were visiting. There's a small but cute hotel on a secluded beach about 20 minutes away called Seaside Inn that's nice and reasonably priced. There are a few other resorts that are really nice and on the beach that I definitely wish I stayed at instead of The Outrigger, mostly because we weren't close to a beach and didn't have a restaurant close by.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alliway
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Good midrange hotel with pleasant rooms, gardens and pool. There is a car-hire service at the hotel which is very useful: you do need a car to make the most of Samoa. The hotel is located in Apia, where you only really need to spend one night - the rest of Upolu and Savai'i have more attractive beaches etc. There is a shuttle to the airport from here and you can walk to the restaurants in town.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2011

This is a renovated, recently painted 120-year-old house. Although the setting is pretty, the most striking thing is the nice staff.
The rooms inside the house are large, beds are comfortable, furnishings are solid old desks, wicker chairs and wicker-and-glass tables. Curtains and bedding are new and pretty. The fales are pretty to look at, but furnishings there are only a mattress on the floor, with a bed net.
Continental breakfast, including plenty of tropical fruit, is included. It is served in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: If it's hot, room 4
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I had a great experience at the Samoan Outrigger. Klaus was a perfect host and his hotel is clean, quaint and beautiful. The barking dogs that people complain about are all over Samoa not just at the Outrigger. They have a problem with dog and cat overpopulation in Samoa, Im not sure that the Outrigger is any more or less victim to this reality than any other place in Samoa. I usually get visited by a cat or a dog when I am eating in a restaurant in Samoa. I love animals so it is not a problem for me.

Anyway, I found that Klaus was an expert at service. I had booked a room for my stay because our house was not ready for me to stay there. As itturned out I did not need to stay the whole time as the house was in a condition for me to stay after all. Klause was under no obligation to refund my money because I had booked the hotel over a site that had a no refund policy. He did so anyway. I thought this was great of him as I am used to such poor service in Samoa.

I was especially impressed by the cleanliness of his hotel. I will stay there everytime I am in Samoa if I need a place to stay.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I would highly recommend staying at the outrigger whilst in Samoa. The staff are extremely friendly and the atmosphere in the hotel is so relaxed and comfortable. I felt like I was at home within a day! We stayed in a fan room which was fine as the rooms are quite well ventilated. The showers and toilets are very clean, as is the whole hotel! Daily breakfast is handy and we were able to use the Barbeque in the evenings to cook our own dinner. The outside decking is a great place to meet the other guest and socialise. I would definitely recommend the outrigger to medical students as the hospital is only a 5min walk and you are certain not to find a nicer hotel at this sort of price! Overall, a great hotel where your every need will be catered for.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 22 February 2011

This is one of the most friendly places I have ever stayed. My stay lasted for over two months and by the time I left I felt like I was leaving family. The hotel itself is immaculate achieving the highest standards of cleanliness. The staff are very friendly and welcoming contributing the relaxed and comfortable vibe of the place. An excellent choice for anyone completing a medical elective or any solo traveller. I can not rate this place highly enough.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Tanoa Tusitala Hotel
Saletoga Sands Resorts
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu
Taumeasina Island Resort

Been to Samoan Outrigger Hotel? Share your experiences!