“Experience the Outrigger if in Apia”

Samoan Outrigger Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Apia
Brisbane, Australia
“Experience the Outrigger if in Apia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We made The Outrigger our base during our six days in Samoa. We were very glad that we did and we were more than happy with our experience there.
The colonial home is beautiful, spotlessly clean, bright and airy. It has variety of accommodation types and tariffs from air conditioned rooms to garden fales in you want to experience the traditional. The setting is a lush tropical garden with a breezy deck and a sparkling pool. There is a well equipped and pristine kitchen with stove and a fridge if you feel like eating on the deck.
Breakfast of tea, coffee, local fruit, a variety of breads to toast, cocoa porridge. pancakes served by happy eager to please staff, is a wonderful start to the day.

It is staffed 24h with security at night. which make it an ideal choice for solo females. The staff is incredible; ever smiling, courteous , resourceful and only too happy to help with their local knowledge of things to do , places to go, etc.
You can walk to downtown Apia but it is hot and there is a local taxi company across the road. Taxis are cheap and your charming desk staff will organize your trip. There are several excellent restaurants within a short evening stroll.

The Outrigger has hire cars which is one less hassle to negotiate after a long flight. You can organize a car and your accommodation in one transaction. Our car was a cute Honda wagon, very economical, comfortable and clean, with air con. Such an advantage as we travelled all around the island and gave us freedom and flexibility.However,day trips are happily organized by the lovely girls in reception.
The Outrigger is a credit to Klaus and his staff and is ideal for a short or longer stay especially for those who do not want to be isolated in a "resort" and who like the flexibility and spontaneous choices offered by being in the capital.

Breakfast of fresh local fruit, a variety of breads to toast, yummy cocoa rice porridge and/or a hot panache on the deck starts the day.
You could walk to downtown

Room Tip: Book early especially if you want air con.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank megelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Burleigh Heads, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We arrived after a long and delayed flight only to be met with a lovely genuine warm smile from Fotu. I incorrectly booked the wrong date and she accommodated us with no fuss or bother. I was very grateful to say the least.
The trip just got better and better daily! We were on a work / semi holiday assignment at the Apia Hospital as final semester ( month in fact) Medical Students, so it was great to have reliable internet/ wifi, a swimming pool, fans or aircon and delicious healthy fruit (plus) breakfasts included. Our results of our exams were posted online and we easily accessed these at the Outrigger. Also it is literally only a few minutes walk from the hospital and in walking distance to the central business district of Apia.
The people we met were friendly and we talked into the night about excellent places to visit, comparing notes in a relaxed atmosphere at the Outrigger poolside. We choose to prepare our own meals at night often which was handy. We had cooking, refrigeration and storage facilities.
I took sick and the staff were very helpful. I slept for 2 days straight and was very happy to feel cared for and assisted whilst I was really weak.
Doing day trips after renting cars from the Outrigger was so convenient. The cars and prices were competitive and Claus explained how to get to places extremely well do we wasted no time in transit.
Having 24/7 security was an added bonus. Fou the security guard was fantastic at helping with some traditional cooking and climbing the coconut trees to make fresh coconut cream which we have learned to add to many dishes, my favourite is palosami.
Only a short drive to many day trips, I highly recommend the Outrigger as the place to stay in Apia. The occasional game if pool was fun, as was chats at any time of the day with the friendly kind reception staff!
Thanks for changing the rooms daily. Thank you for the great breakfasts! Thank you Claus, Fotu and everyone at the Outrigger!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank AngelaJV
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Wow. Where do I begin. Having never been to samoa I didn't know what to expect when embarking on a month long working holiday. I picked the outrigger because it was close to the hospital where I was to be working. And what a fabulous decision that turned out to be. I came with a friend and we arrived at 2am in the morning to be greeted by fou the security guard who is up all night keeping the place safe and secure and the. Beautiful Fotu at reception. We were tired from traveling and had actually messed up the booking and we were expected the following night. Fotu seamlessly and gracefully handled the situation like a pro and within minutes we were in our beautiful rooms.
Such a perfect location this place is just up the road from town - 5 tala taxi or 15 minute walk. And of course close to the hospital. It was so nice to have friendly faces to greet is when we came home from hospital every day and we were even lucky to be shown around. Claus (the owner) took us for bbqs at the beaches and drinks at the marina as well as giving us many valuable tips for traveling around. Fotu took us out clubbing (it's nice to have a local when you're going out in a new place for the first time) and she also came with us to Fafafine night which was a SCREAM!!
Such beautiful fruit and local dishes are served for breaky and we were also lucky enough to catch the staff do a cultural welcoming show for us.
Such an affordable place for all you can get there. I have stayed in resorts before which is nice but I have never been so happy with a hotel experience as I was with the samoan outrigger.
We took a few nights here and there in lalomanu and savaii islands and you can spend time at resorts there but the outrigger is a fantastic place to use as a base and as long as you have a car - you could explore the whole island from here.
I was In a room by myself and then shared bathrooms with other guests and honestly never bumped into another soul in the bathroom. Also they are so clean and well maintained if you're looking to save a bit of money then that would be the right decision! In face the entire place is so beautifully maintained that I came home after a few drinks and was comfortable enough to lie on the floor of the foyer!! (Don't tell Claus).
Like I said - truly the best accommodation experience I've ever had - having a pool makes such a difference and the air con rooms are Always an option though I just say I loved the beautiful colonial style rooms upstairs.
To tie it all up at the end my favourite Fotu organized a taxi to the airport at the cheapest rate around and was there to say goodbye to us when we begrudgingly left this beautiful place.
Thank you again to all of the staff and I will most certainly be back soon!!

Charlotte

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank charlottedchapman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

From the moment we drove into The Outrigger the serenity of its gardens welcome you to a colonial style property, the grounds welcome you to the reception area where our beautiful hostesses greeted us with smiles and a warm welcome.

The main reception is beautifully maintained, polished wooden floors and high stud ceilings, ceiling fans circulating the wonderful atmosphere present when you walk in. Check-in was seamless and a tour was provided with a general overview as to the operations of the hotel. Now, this is a budget hotel but with a hell of a lot of class. I love staying in swanky resorts and I have to say The Outrigger provides budget accommodation with a resort style feeling.

The grounds are just beautiful, the staff are wonderful and the Fale's are clean, authentic and well just amazing. (You should know, I am not used to sleeping outside, or in a hut/Fale and if it were not for my friend who was travelling with us who twisted my arm, I would never of tried it).

Now the Fale's, they back onto a garden oasis which leads down to the pool, a lot of effort has gone into the gardens and this really sold it for me! Mosquito nets and comfortable bedding are provided, there is even power points in the roof as well as a light, not that you need it. For those travelling Samoa uses NZ/AU style power outlets, perfect as we are from New Zealand. As for bugs (yep I worry about them!) I didn't see any, no cobwebs, no creepy crawlies, in fact no mosquitoes that night.

A word of warning, the car park gates do get closed at a certain time so check with lovely staff at the desk before heading out on the town for an evening, the gates are chained shut to the car pack, which I think is a great idea, not that safety is a massive issue in Samoa, I think its more to keep the dogs out which can be problematic as they roam free at night.

As we had locked ourselves out due to our late return, the staff heard us out side and quickly opened up for us, they even parked our car whilst we returned to our Fale. It was about 1am when this happened, however, still feeling a little boozy I asked if it were alright to purchase more beers and sit by the pool side and quietly see the night to an end. Now, as the Fale's are close to the pool, please be conscious of others who are also enjoying their outdoor Fale experience, we kept our noise to a minimum. Seasoned travellers know to show respect to others..I think that is important as an ambassador to your country as your travelling in a foreign country, and what a welcoming country to visit :)

One of the interesting things about sleeping in the Fale was listening to Apia night atmosphere, no I don't mean people or building noises, in fact you wouldn't even realise you were in the main town. You do hear dogs roaming around Apia, though its not that intrusive!

My partner and I were travelling with out best friend, he's wonderful to travel with and is actually the reason we stayed at the Outrigger! All our pre planning at home using sites like TripAdvisor were used to determine our ultimate destinations :) Sadly those two were out cold when it rained at 4am in the morning, now for me rain is one of the most peaceful sounds to lay in bed to listen to! Well, what a down pour, only lasted 10 minutes then it got hot again, I have to say that was my little secret excitement laying in the Fale listening to it all go on around me, and no.. it wasn't cold at all.

As two guys (were a couple obviously) The Outrigger was completely friendly not that we experience problems being a gay couple when travelling. In fact our hostess at the main desk giggled and suggested we check out DIVA's which is a bar where Fa'afine perform some fabulous shows. They also recommended a few other places however we thought we would check out the local shows (which were quiet engaging and entertaining, as must see even if your not LGBT).

A quick section on the common bathroom facilities, clean and basic, unisex style. There are two common bathrooms/showers areas hygienically managed! You can tell the guests are respectful at The Outrigger as the areas are kept clean. There is also a common kitchen facility with everything you need.

The Outrigger also does rooms if your not keen to try the Fale, we booked a Fale and a room however we didn't need it in the end, that as actually for me as I was a little nervous, and I tell you what, I am so glad I decided to sleep in the Fale :o) If your nervous about it, don't be, its wonderful and you must try it!

Price was extremely good in my view, what you get is amazing for your Tala!

In closing, we moved on to another resort after the Outrigger, the Tanao Tusitala, and whilst that was nice, I felt The Outrigger I felt was better :o)

Room Tip: Fales! Although there are rooms for each type of traveller so do enquire!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ben F
SamoanOutriggerHotel, Owner at Samoan Outrigger Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Talofa Ben,

Thank you so much for your nice review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and the Samoan Fale experience. The staff works very hard to make our guests feel at home, so they will be very pleased to hear your positive feedback. I do hope we will be able to host you again in the near future.

Faafetai tele lava and all the best to both of you.

Kind regards

Claus and staff at the Samoan Outrigger Hotel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

It was the first place we had stayed in while holidaying in Samoa, we got in at 11pm, and were greeted with friendly smiles, and accomodating staff. We were showing around the complex and then shown to our Fale by the Garden, it was a beautiful and friendly experience.
Tropical Breakfasts in the morning were great, the staff were very kind and friendly, and again very accomodating. My family loved it... the experience of staying in a Fale for the first time, was one of excitement and anxiety... my daughter was not keen to begin with, but managed to overcome the fact that there were no doors or windows in the fale... I would definitely go back to experience this again, and for my daughter, maybe look at the other room options as well.

Thank you Samoan Outrigger for the first Family Holiday experience in Samoa.

Room Tip: Make sure that when you book online, you know what type of room you are getting, as when I booked I...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kura N
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night wish I had stayed three. Three of us shared a fale which had power and lighting and the roof lining was a samoan printed fabric. It also had a table and chairs set. There were about 5 outdoor fales quite close together in a small but well manicured and gorgeous tropical garden which had a hammock. Pool and sheltered dinning area. The showers and toilets were clean. We also booked a room with a queen bed which we got in case it rsined but mainly used it to store our luggage. This room was clean and well I decorated. The main building has an old school Victorian charm about it. The staff were so welcoming and friendly and I cant believe what good value it is. Just a reminder if you hire a xar they close the gates at around 10-11 @ night. We had to yell out to get reception attention to open the gate. We missed breakfast due to a hangover but from my bed in the fale it looked good ! Although thrre is no aircon etc the open fale provided a cool nights sleep. I highly recommend and will definitely be back to stay in the future :)

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank n0rthl1ght
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed in Samoan Outrigger Hotel for 4 nights and enjoyed it. Staff is very friendly. We stayed in airconditioned rooms which was nice with the humid warm climate. Breakfast was all right, though not of the most nourishing kind. You pay for wifi - it worked very well in common areas but not in the room. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Soeren S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Sinalei Reef Resort & Spa
Sa'Moana Resort
Sa'Moana Resort
#9 of 30 in Apia

Been to Samoan Outrigger Hotel? Share your experiences!