“Just right.”

Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Apia
NZ
“Just right.”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The staff is what makes this place so fantastic. Very friendly and helpful. The good news is that this property is now smack in the middle of Apia, which is good. But it does mean a 15 minute walk or 5Tala cab into town.

But there's almost no reason to go into town ;-)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My partner and I stayed for ten days at the start and end of our Samoan holiday in November. We opted to stay in the Fale's and loved it. The atmosphere was relaxed, staff were always friendly and approachable and made us feel like they enjoyed having us there as much as we enjoyed being there. Would we stay there again? Absolutely! Paul and Elva.

1 Thank Paul W
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Stayed one night at the last moment in November 2013 while on a medical placement. The room was lovely and spacious but we were bitten by mozzies all night despite the flyscreens. The double bed was a foam mattress which was very uncomfortable. Shared bathrooms were clean and the breakfast was very average compared to Lynn's Getaway just around the corner.

Room Tip: Ask what type of mattress is in the room before booking!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ybags
Toowoomba
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My friend and I stayed for a week which is enough time for any blemishes to come to the surface, none did.

Good management, genuinely friendly staff, clean, well maintained facilities, good healthy breakfasts, well located. Would I stay there again? Yes.

Bryan.C

1 Thank Bryan C
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We made The Outrigger our base during our six days in Samoa. We were very glad that we did and we were more than happy with our experience there.
The colonial home is beautiful, spotlessly clean, bright and airy. It has variety of accommodation types and tariffs from air conditioned rooms to garden fales in you want to experience the traditional. The setting is a lush tropical garden with a breezy deck and a sparkling pool. There is a well equipped and pristine kitchen with stove and a fridge if you feel like eating on the deck.
Breakfast of tea, coffee, local fruit, a variety of breads to toast, cocoa porridge. pancakes served by happy eager to please staff, is a wonderful start to the day.

It is staffed 24h with security at night. which make it an ideal choice for solo females. The staff is incredible; ever smiling, courteous , resourceful and only too happy to help with their local knowledge of things to do , places to go, etc.
You can walk to downtown Apia but it is hot and there is a local taxi company across the road. Taxis are cheap and your charming desk staff will organize your trip. There are several excellent restaurants within a short evening stroll.

The Outrigger has hire cars which is one less hassle to negotiate after a long flight. You can organize a car and your accommodation in one transaction. Our car was a cute Honda wagon, very economical, comfortable and clean, with air con. Such an advantage as we travelled all around the island and gave us freedom and flexibility.However,day trips are happily organized by the lovely girls in reception.
The Outrigger is a credit to Klaus and his staff and is ideal for a short or longer stay especially for those who do not want to be isolated in a "resort" and who like the flexibility and spontaneous choices offered by being in the capital.

Breakfast of fresh local fruit, a variety of breads to toast, yummy cocoa rice porridge and/or a hot panache on the deck starts the day.
You could walk to downtown

Room Tip: Book early especially if you want air con.
1 Thank megelle
Burleigh Heads, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We arrived after a long and delayed flight only to be met with a lovely genuine warm smile from Fotu. I incorrectly booked the wrong date and she accommodated us with no fuss or bother. I was very grateful to say the least.
The trip just got better and better daily! We were on a work / semi holiday assignment at the Apia Hospital as final semester ( month in fact) Medical Students, so it was great to have reliable internet/ wifi, a swimming pool, fans or aircon and delicious healthy fruit (plus) breakfasts included. Our results of our exams were posted online and we easily accessed these at the Outrigger. Also it is literally only a few minutes walk from the hospital and in walking distance to the central business district of Apia.
The people we met were friendly and we talked into the night about excellent places to visit, comparing notes in a relaxed atmosphere at the Outrigger poolside. We choose to prepare our own meals at night often which was handy. We had cooking, refrigeration and storage facilities.
I took sick and the staff were very helpful. I slept for 2 days straight and was very happy to feel cared for and assisted whilst I was really weak.
Doing day trips after renting cars from the Outrigger was so convenient. The cars and prices were competitive and Claus explained how to get to places extremely well do we wasted no time in transit.
Having 24/7 security was an added bonus. Fou the security guard was fantastic at helping with some traditional cooking and climbing the coconut trees to make fresh coconut cream which we have learned to add to many dishes, my favourite is palosami.
Only a short drive to many day trips, I highly recommend the Outrigger as the place to stay in Apia. The occasional game if pool was fun, as was chats at any time of the day with the friendly kind reception staff!
Thanks for changing the rooms daily. Thank you for the great breakfasts! Thank you Claus, Fotu and everyone at the Outrigger!!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank AngelaJV
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Wow. Where do I begin. Having never been to samoa I didn't know what to expect when embarking on a month long working holiday. I picked the outrigger because it was close to the hospital where I was to be working. And what a fabulous decision that turned out to be. I came with a friend and we arrived at 2am in the morning to be greeted by fou the security guard who is up all night keeping the place safe and secure and the. Beautiful Fotu at reception. We were tired from traveling and had actually messed up the booking and we were expected the following night. Fotu seamlessly and gracefully handled the situation like a pro and within minutes we were in our beautiful rooms.
Such a perfect location this place is just up the road from town - 5 tala taxi or 15 minute walk. And of course close to the hospital. It was so nice to have friendly faces to greet is when we came home from hospital every day and we were even lucky to be shown around. Claus (the owner) took us for bbqs at the beaches and drinks at the marina as well as giving us many valuable tips for traveling around. Fotu took us out clubbing (it's nice to have a local when you're going out in a new place for the first time) and she also came with us to Fafafine night which was a SCREAM!!
Such beautiful fruit and local dishes are served for breaky and we were also lucky enough to catch the staff do a cultural welcoming show for us.
Such an affordable place for all you can get there. I have stayed in resorts before which is nice but I have never been so happy with a hotel experience as I was with the samoan outrigger.
We took a few nights here and there in lalomanu and savaii islands and you can spend time at resorts there but the outrigger is a fantastic place to use as a base and as long as you have a car - you could explore the whole island from here.
I was In a room by myself and then shared bathrooms with other guests and honestly never bumped into another soul in the bathroom. Also they are so clean and well maintained if you're looking to save a bit of money then that would be the right decision! In face the entire place is so beautifully maintained that I came home after a few drinks and was comfortable enough to lie on the floor of the foyer!! (Don't tell Claus).
Like I said - truly the best accommodation experience I've ever had - having a pool makes such a difference and the air con rooms are Always an option though I just say I loved the beautiful colonial style rooms upstairs.
To tie it all up at the end my favourite Fotu organized a taxi to the airport at the cheapest rate around and was there to say goodbye to us when we begrudgingly left this beautiful place.
Thank you again to all of the staff and I will most certainly be back soon!!

Charlotte

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank charlottedchapman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Apia
Sheraton Samoa Aggie Grey's Hotel & Bungalows
Saletoga Sands Resorts
Saletoga Sands Resorts
#1 of 1 in Matatufu
Taumeasina Island Resort

Been to Samoan Outrigger Hotel? Share your experiences!