“Very good budget accomodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Elisa

Hotel Elisa
Ranked #28 of 30 Hotels in Apia
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Very good budget accomodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

Stayed in the basic budget room with shared bath. Very clean and perfectly comfortable so it was excellent value. Good location and pretty quiet. Staff very nice.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2010

The Elisa hotel was new to me, I have stayed in Samoa over 60 times in the last, almost, 20 years, but had never stayed here before! As I travel, mostly, for business, internet access is very important to me. Before i booked I emailed the hotel and on 4 occasions was assured they have excellent "new" wireless internet facilities! Upon arrival I am told "Oh sorry sir the room with the good internet access is full, you can move in tomorrow" The next day the reply was "Oh sorry sir the man in that room has packed and is ready to leave but he has gone out and we cannot just move his bags out when he is not here". The next day the answer was "Oh sorry sir the man has refused to leave his room" So needless to say, I never did get access to the internet as required and promised. Even the internet cafe at the hotel was rotten. Often taking 15 minutes to log on, and when you are charged by the hour that can be very frustrating
On the other hand the rooms were OK, quite comfortable and fairly clean. Only saw two cockroaches and both very small, which for a Pacific island Hotel is good. TV was poor one religious only channel and two rugby channels.
Restaurant food was EXCELLENT, really top class, I would even consider going there for dinner only next time I stay in Apia, even though I will not stay at this hotel.
One more point to ponder, make sure you get in writing from any hotel in the Pacific, how many days you are being chraged for and when check-in and check-out times are! As most flights to Samoa from Aus and NZ arrive in the early hours or around midnight, you WILL be charged for a full day stay even if you check in 2 minutes before the check-in time. On my last stay I was there for less than 4 full 24 hour periods (3 days and 18 hours actually) but was charged for 6 full days, the reason given is that although I arrived at around 2am, they had held the room for me since 10 am the day before (Despite the room I ordered with the internet access not being ready for me at all) and of course as i was not leaving for the airport until 8pm they charged me for the full day again.
Another thing to wary of is when asking for a cab to the airport! Despite the fact that there is a taxi rank 50m away, the concierge called a taxi for me, which took 20 minutes to arrive. All the while 20 taxis went past the hotel. The concierge had called his cousin to pick me up, which I did not know until halfway to the airport. When the cab pulled up at the hotel the rack on the roof holding the taxi sign, fell off and was put into the boot. The trip to the airport was not good as the driver was almost asleep and complaining of a headache, very nerve wracking.
Despite the above if you just want a no frills hotel with good food Elisa is fine, if you need internet access ask any hotel in samoa what type they have and if it is Lavasoft or Lavaspot wireless then avoid it

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Apia hotels

Auckland NZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

My sister and I booked a triple room the day before we checked. When we arrived on 24/2 (stayed 3 nights), we had to ask for another set of towels and some more pillows. We even had to ask for toilet rolls as there were no spare ones. I left instructions with reception to advise housekeeping that there were 3 of us in the room. The next day we still had to ask for more towels and more toilet rolls. I was surprised that they did not have an iron and ironing board in the room as I had read one of the reviews before we left for Samoa that they had irons and ironing boards in the closet. I asked for some face tissues but was told that they had run out of stock on our first day. Surprisingly enough, they hadn't got their stock when we left 3 days later.
The towels in our room had make up on and I am not surprised as there were no face tissues for women's make up removal. (not that I wear make up myself)
I agree with other reviews about the customer service needs to improve.
The room was nice & spacious and comfortable. I also think the wireless internet of $20 an hour was too expensive.I must say that the tropical breakfast that came with the room rate was great, except we missed out on breakfast on the morning of the tsunami scare.
Toreka Grey
Auckland NZ

• Stayed February 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

I just completed my second visit to this hotel.

Pros:
1.Proximity to downtown Apia. You can easily walk the 1000 meters to Tatau Bistro and the seaside markets.
2. Shuttle Service. Though I've never used their shuttle, the front desk clerk offered to take me to the market or a nearby restaurant during this past stay. You don't really want to be in Upolu without a rental car. But, if you're just staying in Apia and using Taxis, the shuttle could save you a couple of $$.
3. Exceptionally clean rooms. Just remember to put the "please clean this room" notice on your doorknob.
4. Free breakfast. Their "tropical breakfast" is usually included with the price of the room. This breakfast was comprised of coffee/tea, sliced papaya, a banana, two pieces of toast with an assortment of jellies, and some cereal.
5. Affordable. We recently paid $140 tala per night for the standard room with three bedrooms.

Cons:
1. Dirty, green, small pool. It's an above ground pool that's probably 25 feet long and 15 feet wide. It looked more like a neglected goldfish pond than a swimming pool.
2. Mediocre evening meals. Spend your money elsewhere at one of the many restaurants in and around Apia.
3. TV channels aren't consistent. One room might have four channels while the room next door may have six.
4. Not so clean lobby bathroom. The lobby bathroom was not air conditioned, smelled of urine (two days in a row), and seemed gross.

As a side note, the hotel has some wonderful artwork, decorations, and floral arrangements in the lobby, and in the common areas. However, oddly enough, the decorations don't extend inside the rooms. The rooms are bare. Almost hospital room bare.

helpful hint. Don't stay in the Seaside rooms. They're usually a bit more expensive, but the view isn't that great since you're not actually facing the harbor. If you want to have coffee and watch the sunrise, just find one of the common area balconies located on each floor. These balconies usually have a couple of chairs and a small table.

Second Helpful Hint. Park across the street. I initially parked on the side of the hotel. However, one morning I saw a filthy guy peeking through the rear windows of the rental car parked next to us. I scared him off. But from then on, I felt the front of the building was likely more safe for our vehicle as it is a higher traffic area and there's usually a door man at the front of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Bochum, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2010

The Hotel Elisa is a very clean and inexpensive hotel just on the edge of central Apia. The rooms are huge and are furnished with a lounge area (sofa and table), desk and chair and a fridge as well as iron and board in the closet. We were able to use paid internet in the room which was not too expensive (you can look up LAVASPOT for more details). They also have computers in the lounge area. You probably want to have a room a little bit away from the stairs since it can get noisy (rather thin walls). We enjoyed the SAILS - Restaurant which is five minutes away if you just take a drive to the left from the hotel at the very end of the road.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
nz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

My husband and our two young children stayed at Hotel Elisa before getting married at Le Vasa. We also had 5 friends, my Dad,Stepdad,brother and Mum, all of whom absolutely loved their stay. It felt like a home away from home, and not too long to walk to the city either
We enjoyed a cultural night followed by buffet for $55 tala which is really cheap, the staff were all involved and were very entertaining, and the food was incredible, I have to say it was pretty much the samw food we had for my wedding dinner at le vasa and we all prefered the buffet at elisa.
The cocktails were amazing, I think it was $38-$40 tala a jug, and they bring it to you by the pool or to your room. The food prices were also great.
We would definitely stay at Hotel Elisa again, had a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank livelifeNz
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2009

Behind the up-market suites & restaurant of this nicely-placed hotel is a range of modestly priced budget rooms, neat & some with sea views. Pleasant & clean communal sitting area with TV & self-catering kitchen. Hot showers too!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo