“Very basic budget rooms”
Review of Hotel Elisa

Hotel Elisa
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Apia
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This is a ok place to base yourself while in Apia, regardless of your budget. I stayed in a single room for 50 tala/night in the budget wing (about the cheapest you'll find in Apia), which wasn't especially appealing to look at, but the mattress was good and the sheets clean, and the ceiling fan kept it cool enough. The floor was a patchwork of cheap lino and tape. The "kitchen" is just a sink, fridge, and microwave. If there are any plates, bowls, cutlery, etc, then I couldn't find them. The lounge has some seats and a TV with a 5-inch screen. However, you also have access to the high quality main hotel amenities, like the pool area, computer area, etc.

The main hotel is a world away, both in quality and pricing. Modern, well decorated, large rooms. It really is quite an attractive boutique hotel that would please a westerner looking for all the mod-cons.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 July 2010

rooms have the smell of smoke even though the fan goes all night.
insects attack us on the first night.
we have to use towels for the 6 nights we were there - sheets got changed once only.
restaurant was expensive but poor quality food

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I had a room on the top floor which was large enough to play tennis in. There is no elevator, so you need to climb 8 flights of stairs.
The restaurant and bar are comfortable but there are nice restaurants nearby.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Stayed in the basic budget room with shared bath. Very clean and perfectly comfortable so it was excellent value. Good location and pretty quiet. Staff very nice.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2010

The Elisa hotel was new to me, I have stayed in Samoa over 60 times in the last, almost, 20 years, but had never stayed here before! As I travel, mostly, for business, internet access is very important to me. Before i booked I emailed the hotel and on 4 occasions was assured they have excellent "new" wireless internet facilities! Upon arrival I am told "Oh sorry sir the room with the good internet access is full, you can move in tomorrow" The next day the reply was "Oh sorry sir the man in that room has packed and is ready to leave but he has gone out and we cannot just move his bags out when he is not here". The next day the answer was "Oh sorry sir the man has refused to leave his room" So needless to say, I never did get access to the internet as required and promised. Even the internet cafe at the hotel was rotten. Often taking 15 minutes to log on, and when you are charged by the hour that can be very frustrating
On the other hand the rooms were OK, quite comfortable and fairly clean. Only saw two cockroaches and both very small, which for a Pacific island Hotel is good. TV was poor one religious only channel and two rugby channels.
Restaurant food was EXCELLENT, really top class, I would even consider going there for dinner only next time I stay in Apia, even though I will not stay at this hotel.
One more point to ponder, make sure you get in writing from any hotel in the Pacific, how many days you are being chraged for and when check-in and check-out times are! As most flights to Samoa from Aus and NZ arrive in the early hours or around midnight, you WILL be charged for a full day stay even if you check in 2 minutes before the check-in time. On my last stay I was there for less than 4 full 24 hour periods (3 days and 18 hours actually) but was charged for 6 full days, the reason given is that although I arrived at around 2am, they had held the room for me since 10 am the day before (Despite the room I ordered with the internet access not being ready for me at all) and of course as i was not leaving for the airport until 8pm they charged me for the full day again.
Another thing to wary of is when asking for a cab to the airport! Despite the fact that there is a taxi rank 50m away, the concierge called a taxi for me, which took 20 minutes to arrive. All the while 20 taxis went past the hotel. The concierge had called his cousin to pick me up, which I did not know until halfway to the airport. When the cab pulled up at the hotel the rack on the roof holding the taxi sign, fell off and was put into the boot. The trip to the airport was not good as the driver was almost asleep and complaining of a headache, very nerve wracking.
Despite the above if you just want a no frills hotel with good food Elisa is fine, if you need internet access ask any hotel in samoa what type they have and if it is Lavasoft or Lavaspot wireless then avoid it

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2010

My sister and I booked a triple room the day before we checked. When we arrived on 24/2 (stayed 3 nights), we had to ask for another set of towels and some more pillows. We even had to ask for toilet rolls as there were no spare ones. I left instructions with reception to advise housekeeping that there were 3 of us in the room. The next day we still had to ask for more towels and more toilet rolls. I was surprised that they did not have an iron and ironing board in the room as I had read one of the reviews before we left for Samoa that they had irons and ironing boards in the closet. I asked for some face tissues but was told that they had run out of stock on our first day. Surprisingly enough, they hadn't got their stock when we left 3 days later.
The towels in our room had make up on and I am not surprised as there were no face tissues for women's make up removal. (not that I wear make up myself)
I agree with other reviews about the customer service needs to improve.
The room was nice & spacious and comfortable. I also think the wireless internet of $20 an hour was too expensive.I must say that the tropical breakfast that came with the room rate was great, except we missed out on breakfast on the morning of the tsunami scare.
Toreka Grey
Auckland NZ

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed 16 March 2010

I just completed my second visit to this hotel.

Pros:
1.Proximity to downtown Apia. You can easily walk the 1000 meters to Tatau Bistro and the seaside markets.
2. Shuttle Service. Though I've never used their shuttle, the front desk clerk offered to take me to the market or a nearby restaurant during this past stay. You don't really want to be in Upolu without a rental car. But, if you're just staying in Apia and using Taxis, the shuttle could save you a couple of $$.
3. Exceptionally clean rooms. Just remember to put the "please clean this room" notice on your doorknob.
4. Free breakfast. Their "tropical breakfast" is usually included with the price of the room. This breakfast was comprised of coffee/tea, sliced papaya, a banana, two pieces of toast with an assortment of jellies, and some cereal.
5. Affordable. We recently paid $140 tala per night for the standard room with three bedrooms.

Cons:
1. Dirty, green, small pool. It's an above ground pool that's probably 25 feet long and 15 feet wide. It looked more like a neglected goldfish pond than a swimming pool.
2. Mediocre evening meals. Spend your money elsewhere at one of the many restaurants in and around Apia.
3. TV channels aren't consistent. One room might have four channels while the room next door may have six.
4. Not so clean lobby bathroom. The lobby bathroom was not air conditioned, smelled of urine (two days in a row), and seemed gross.

As a side note, the hotel has some wonderful artwork, decorations, and floral arrangements in the lobby, and in the common areas. However, oddly enough, the decorations don't extend inside the rooms. The rooms are bare. Almost hospital room bare.

helpful hint. Don't stay in the Seaside rooms. They're usually a bit more expensive, but the view isn't that great since you're not actually facing the harbor. If you want to have coffee and watch the sunrise, just find one of the common area balconies located on each floor. These balconies usually have a couple of chairs and a small table.

Second Helpful Hint. Park across the street. I initially parked on the side of the hotel. However, one morning I saw a filthy guy peeking through the rear windows of the rental car parked next to us. I scared him off. But from then on, I felt the front of the building was likely more safe for our vehicle as it is a higher traffic area and there's usually a door man at the front of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends