“Beautiful location, substandard food”
Review of Taufua Beach Fales

Taufua Beach Fales
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The beach that these fales are located on is definitely beautiful. Some of the staff were very friendly and pleasant.

However the enclosed fale was particularly hot. The mosquito nets are home made and the thick material on the top means that no air can circulate and the temperature rose to well above the outside temp.

The second night moved to the villas up in the mountain, which were better, though they did forget to connect the cash power, so our moving in was delayed by many hours, which was ok with the beautiful beach surrounds.

The food was particularly repulsive at times. We stayed in many fales on the islands and enjoyed the simple home cooking that was usually provided. However at Taufua, where they serve their meals as share food in a banquet style, the dishes that came out were mismatched, bizarre and often inedible, both at breakfast and dinner. Mostly all we could eat was the cold rice.

Beautiful beach, but recommend going next door for a decent feed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Traveller_EPMEL

Reviewed 17 February 2014

The beach is so clean, the water is crystal clear. The value of the accommodation and meal is really good and well worth it. The island night entertainment is really cool as well friendly environment. Totally love the heat and swimming at night when the lights are on is a totally awesome experience.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marcel T
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here recently, and it is just the perfect paradise. I stayed up in the newer units up on the hill and the views are stunning. Drove down for breakfast every morning and had dinner one night. The staff are very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Lalomanu is by far the most beautiful beach I saw in Samoa (I did a lot of travelling around both islands) and Taufua Beach Fales is definitely an amazing place in Lalomanu to stay! The fales (both open and closed) are well maintained and located right on the incredible beach, and the prices are great value (by Samoan standards). For 70WST per person per night you get accommodation (in a non-ensuite open or closed fale) as well as breakfast and dinner both included. The food is by no means 5 star restaurant style but it's definitely tasty and filling. They were able to cater to my group's dietary requirements too which was great. The staff are all incredibly friendly and helpful and the younger workers are always up for a laugh.
Forget paying $300 plus for a resort (I stayed in 3 - Aggie Greys, Sinalei and Le Vasa) - Taufua is so much better value for money and so much nicer! Also, it is family owned so you are supporting the local Samoan people by staying here rather than an international resort owner. If you can't stand being without airconditioning or a private bathroom the ensuite fales have both and are only slightly more expensive. Lalomanu Beach is 100 times better than the beaches at any of the resorts I saw! If I were only allowed to spend one day in Samoa, I'd definitely spend it at Taufua.

Room Tip: The open fales are located right on the water, whereas the closed fales are in a row behind. I staye...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank matkakucing
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We had a fantastic family holiday staying a full 10 days with my wife and two daughters 20 & 16. It was reviews on this site that gave me the confidence to book the holiday and not hedge bets by staying at multiple locations on Upolu or Savaii. So I owe it to let people know how the holiday fitted in with what we expected. We got Samoan culture, we got staff who not only served us but made us laugh made us dance and made us feel as relaxed as if we would be in our own home. You know how service can be so formal and unnatural to the point you can't relax properly - well not at Taufua the Vibe is perfect.

Room Tip: On still nights even with rain the Fales were awesome with the sounds of waves lapping the shore lul...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a Peace Corps volunteer serving in Samoa. So to say I know about most of the resorts on the island is slightly understating it. I have been to Lalomanu many times and every. single. time. I will stay at Taufua. The surrounding resorts simply do not compare and here's why.

1. The customer service. The people working at Taufua are so helpful and friendly, they often will get to know you personally while you are there. This is perfect for when you are traveling alone or even when you are in a group. Love them all!

2. The beach. Yes, the beach is the same for all the resorts along that strip, but the LOCATION is the important one. There is a strong rip tide in front of the resort to the far left of Taufua as well as further down the beach to the right. Taufua is located perfectly to provide excellent snorkeling, relaxing floating, or a casual swim, all without having to worry about the rips.

3. The fales. If you don't know what a fale is, you will soon. A beach fale is basically a gazebo. Or in other words a room on stilts, with no walls. This is very typical Samoa. This is where I highly recommend spending the night. Taufua provides mattresses, pillows, sheets, and the ever important mosquito net! On clear nights, you can leave the tarps up on the sides and you get a wonderful ocean breeze all night long keeping you cool. And as an added bonus, the gorgeous ocean view which is literally surrounding you in the morning is surreal. On rainy nights, tarps are available to pull down around the hut to keep out the rain.

4. The other guests. This is one of my main reasons for liking Taufua. There are ALWAYS people at Taufua from all over the world, and they are the most interesting people you'll ever meet. They're not the people that will spend $600 a night for a Western style room in a contrived environment at a different resort. They are people who travel like you do and enjoy seeing Samoa for it's authentic side. You will always have people around to talk with here at Taufua. The other resorts down this strip of beach are ghost towns, with almost no guests, ever.

5. Small reason - the dogs are friendly! There are several resort dogs and none of them will bite and may even come and sit next to you looking for a scratch behind the ear. As a Peace Corps volunteer in Samoa who constantly has to worry about dogs biting her and even coming after her (yikes!), it's nice to see dogs that are different.

Room Tip: Go for the open air fales! Be brave and you'll be happier :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Michelle P
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My partner and I stayed at Taufua Beach Fales in Lalomanu for a total of 12 nights (out of a 14 night stay in Samoa). We had intentionally only planned to stay for the first 7 nights, but once we left, we immediately wanted to return- and we did!

Taufua Beach Fales has the complete package- STUNNING location (it really is the best beach in Samoa), COMFORTABLE and AFFORDABLE rooms, and EXCELLENT customer service. We stayed in both the open fales on the beach and also in the closed fales. Fale accommodation is a great way to feel as though you are a part of the culture and also a part of the Taufua family as a whole. All the fales on the beach come with a comfy bed or mattress, clean sheets and pillows, and a mosquito net above. It is relaxation at its best.

A full breakfast and dinner is provided in the accommodation costs, which is absolutely fantastic value. The guests eat in "samoan family style" all together at a long table and there is always more than enough to go around. The food includes a variety of cultural dishes and is always deliciously prepared. Some dishes include- mussels, bbq chicken, sushi, crayfish and lamb chops. My partner and I found that the meals were so substantial that we rarely needed to eat in the middle of the day! However, if you were hungry, the bar has a full lunch menu available including fish/chicken/beef burgers, fish and chips, crayfish etc.

This sort of setting for meals also serves as a great way to meet other travellers, families, and couples. My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed talking to a multitude of people during our stay. We made many friends with fellow guests and also with the staff! Macy and Pola are fantastic hosts, friendly and always happy to help. Tai and Sili who are the owners, often come down and chat to the guests as well. We really felt like a part of the family while we were there, and that's what made our stay priceless and so enjoyable!

Every Wednesday and Saturday night, Taufua Beach Fales hosts a fia fia night for the guests to enjoy. There is a male and female dance group that perform dances and songs from not only Samoa but neighbouring islands as well. The highlight is the men's fire dance and the final farewell song! The fia fia nights are a MUST SEE for all ages and interests!
To top it all off, on Sundays a complimentary traditional samoan lunch is provided which includes taro, raw fish, a whole pig (!!!), chop suey and much much more!

Overall, I am so glad that we decided to come back and stay at Taufua for the remainder of our trip. It is great value for money all round and is perfect for those wanting to relax in beach paradise and yet still be immersed in the culture of the people. I am already planning to come back as soon as possible, and there is no where else I would stay. I highly recommend Taufua Beach Fales to anyone going to Samoa- whatever your reason for travelling, be sure to check in at Taufua!

Room Tip: Open fales are situated 5 or so meters from the water's edge, have a great breeze through the ni...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Renee I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalomanu
Litia Sini Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Matatufu
Manusina Beach Fales
Manusina Beach Fales
#1 of 1 in Saleapaga

Been to Taufua Beach Fales? Share your experiences!