“Awesome atmosphere ”

Taufua Beach Fales
Brisbane, Australia
“Awesome atmosphere ”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed 6 nights in the ocean view rooms up the hill. It was fantastic and the view was amazing. The rooms were simple and just what I needed. I would definitely come back here. The food was also amazing and there was plenty of it. I think the beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen in the world. I would definitely recommend this place to all kinds of travellers. Can't wait until I return again!!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We travelled as a family of 5 to Samoa on January 2014 and spent 4 nights at Taufua - we originally only planned to stay for 2 but absolutely loved it here! The beach is amazing, we had to enclosed fales (one for hubby and I and one for the kids) and they were perfect! Spotlessly clean, well ventilated. Staff were fantastic and made us feel right at home, food was great, and heaps of it. We enjoyed sharing our meals with all the guests and meeting everyone. My 11 year old daughter made friends with some of the staff's children and had a ball. The staff entertained, made sure we had everything, nothing was too much trouble. Fiafia night was excellent. I don't think you could find a better fale setup in all of Samoa. Don't miss this jewel if you are heading over.

Room Tip: We chose the enclosed fales as we were there in the wet season but any of the accommodation would be...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa S
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Upon arrival, we were told our fale would be ready in fifteen minutes. A good 45 minutes later, my girlfriend popped over to see for herself if it was ready...and one of the workers was lying on the bed, playing on his phone. Quite unprofessional...We understand the "island time" concept...but keeping guests waiting for that long is unacceptable, especially after the long drive from Apia. Apparently, he was waiting for the sheets (for 45mins!) and quickly got up, started calling out to another lady to bring the sheets....our fale was ready five minutes after that.

Stayed in a closed beach fale with shared facilities (clean but needs fixing i.e. the broken toilets etc). The bungalow my girlfriend and I stayed in had a slow-moving fan - which didn't help with the heat because it was a closed bungalow. The roof on the fale was falling apart and we'd wake up to bits of black all over the mosquito net and floor. If it wasn't for the strong winds during that stormy night...I don't think we would've survived the heat!

Shared dinner - though it was a nice idea. I wanted a nice dinner alone, with my girlfriend...and would've preferred a more private setting. If you're really picky with your food, I suggest you pop out somewhere else to grab dinner - especially if you want to eat in private. Otherwise, staff were lovely...with the exception of that one that got caught lazing around on the job.

It was an average stay at an ideal location. It's quite an expensive stay for what we experienced.

Room Tip: Book the room with the ensuite...That way you don't have to walk all the way to the other side o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Edward H
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My family and I stayed at Taufua for 3 nights on two different occasions. In only that short of time we felt like family. The staff is very friendly & helpful! The food was great. The fia fia night was a lot of fun! and the swimming was EXCELLENT!

Room Tip: In the closed fales you have your own private toilet & shower.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is a lovely location to stay. The beach is beautiful, but has a bit of a rip - so ask the staff about where to swim safely. Breakfast and dinner are included, which is great - if you stay on a Saturday night, you get to watch a Fia Fia, and have a umu lunch the next day which is lovely. There is also a fia fia on Wednesday. Try next door for a lunch if you are around during the day and want a change. There is free tea and coffee at Taufua, which is great. The bathrooms are basic - no hot water, which is fine as it is so hot, but sometimes the water stops working, and one of the shower heads is missing. Flowers are put in there which smell beautiful. You can walk to a church on Sunday morning. The service is in Samoan, and the singing beautiful. Ask the staff what to wear (be conservative and respectful). It is worth taking a few padlocks and extendable locks to use in your fale.

Room Tip: Request a fale away from the main restaurant fale as it can be noisy late at night. Ask the staff to...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shell123_10
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Have just got back from beautiful Lalomanu Beach - Samoa. Had the most amazing experience - The bus was on time from the airport to transfer us to beautiful Taufua Beach fales. We had a open fale right on the beach with a sea breeze not many places in the world you can do this for $33.00 a night!!. Everyday we had a banquet of food morning and evening - Sunday is the best traditional Samoan food YUM!!!

The staff are lovely super friendly - we had a big group of us (10) and were able to organise with the staff a tour of the Island which was one of the best experiences.

Don't look any further for your accomodation I have been to samoa 2 times and stayed at many places round the island. If you want beautiful beaches, value for money, and amazing food.

TAUFUA is where you should stay - to all the haters - you obviously have no idea what you are talking about!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 870SarahD05
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I chose to stay at Taufua Beach Fales as I had heard rave reviews about the beach at Lalomanu. I had already stayed at 2 other places before arriving here for 3 nights, so I think I had a little taste of Samoan style. I had read negative reviews on TA but wanted to experience the beach so I took the chance. Boy was I disappointed. On arrival there was no warm welcome, we were tired and hot and our rooms (2 of them) were not ready (even though we arrived later than check in time) We were not offered a cold drink while we waited in the heat and no-one seemed to be in a hurry to organise anything or even offer us a seat. The meals were set at the same time with all guests left to fight for food in the centre of the tables. I have food allergies which was taken into account for the first meal (which was appreciated) but quickly forgotten for all the other meals so I didnt get to eat much more than bread (if I could get to it before the other guests) During our stay I got the feeling that asking the staff for anything was a chore to them. This was a complete let down after enjoying the warmth and hospitality from the other Fales around Samoa. This included waiting for them to stop talking to be served at the bar to get a cold drink and interrupting their chat. Finally, there was a mistake made on my arrival with being over charged for my room. A simple mistake that I was initially ok with and was told the money would be put back onto my credit card before I finished my stay with them. This did not happen. In fact it still hadnt happened when I returned to Perth. I emailed the management / owners direct and got no reply. I emailed again and finally got an apology and told the funds would be there the following Monday - nothing came through. From October 2013 I wrote numerous emails - none of which were replied to. I contacted reservations - no reply to my emails, I wrote on Taufuas facebook page - the messages were deleted. Finally mid Feb 2014 in desperation I called the Samoan Tourist Advice asking for help. They were FANTASTIC and CCd my dilemma to other organisations within Samoa and within 2 days I had not only heard from Tafua but my refund was sent through western union. This is disgusting customer service from Taufua. It was only through involving the government and going over their heads that this was rectified. Mistakes happen but there is NO excuse for ignoring my emails and deleting my messages (none of which were nasty) I felt I had been more than patient with them on this. Its because of this and the lack of service within the Fales themselves that I will never go back there and I choose to write a negative review to warn others of the bad choice I made in staying with them.
The positives : The beach is really nice and scenic, the sand is whiter than most on Samoa which gives the water a beautiful colour. Sadly the coral has been smashed to pieces from the tsunami and then the cyclone so this is a nice swimming beach, dont drive all that way to snorkle, there are better places in Samoa to snorkle. The rooms were reasonably clean, I was in an enclosed Fale with bathroom. It was refreshing to have a small bar fridge and a fan above my head, however the power goes out and on our first night went out until the next morning. We experienced a FiaFia night there and really enjoyed the talented fire dancers. The negatives outweighed the positives for me - this was the only accommodation I was disappointed in out of the 5 different places we stayed in during our holiday on both islands. Worth a day trip for a look and a swim only until Taufua get some competition in other Fales nearby I dont think these Fales really care as they have the beach that draws in the people.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank Madasun67
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalomanu
Litia Sini Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Matatufu
Manusina Beach Fales
Manusina Beach Fales
#1 of 1 in Saleapaga

Been to Taufua Beach Fales? Share your experiences!