“my family 2 day trip turned into 1”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Motel in the Pines

Motel in the Pines
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Munds Park
Apache Junction, Arizona, United States
“my family 2 day trip turned into 1”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I wouldn't recomend this one!My room had obviously never been cleaned.There was a dried up piece of dental floss stuck to the bathroom floor along with a dirty used washcloth on top of the dirt splotched shower curtain.The refrigerator was never cleaned either with food stains in it and a rack hanging off the door with a nail sticking out of it.The microwave was covered in grease and the coffeepot was scary looking and didn't even have any filters to brew the coffee.The guest service book was falling apart and the carpet in the room was sticky when you walked on it.The bathroom towels were stiff and the room stunk of animal and cigarette smoke.They were ripping up the carpet outside the rooms in the walkway in the morning when we got up and could barely get out of our room,I guess you really do get what you pay for!I paid for 2 nights but checked out a day early because it grossed me out,and i'm an avid camper who doesn't get grossed out so easily but this place was disturbing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mindy A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We found this place online and decided to stay here for the evening because I had a musical gig about a mile away at the farmer's market across the interstate the next morning. We couldn't have asked for a better location and a great host. The first room we had reserved reeked of cigarette smoke. For a minute, I forgot that most places do not allow smoking indoors anymore and thought that this place was some kind of exception. I was kindly reminded of the above when I went back to the manager and requested a non smoking room. I was also told that people smoke on the back patios and that the smoke wafts into the room. I was called a few minutes later in the room before we got a chance to settle in. It was the manager telling me that he had another room available if we wanted to see it. I jumped at the chance and was glad I did. The room smelled musty but nothing compared to what we left. It was very clean and had a nice back patio overlooking the ascending wooded hilltop in the back of the motel. The king size bed could easily fit three and was very comfortable. The bed, dresser and flat screen TV looked new while the other furnishings including the carpeting looked dated and could stand to be upgraded. The surrounding neighborhood and golf course was very nice. The manager told us that Mormon Lake and hiking trails were only a quarter of a mile away from the motel. We hiked around the immediate area with our 10 yr old daughter who was smitten with horses in some of the surrounding lots. I would definitely stay here again if I have an occasion to come to Munds Park.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank minstrel1970
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

This is not a five star Motel but it is clean and the staff is friendly. I love hunting and fishing so my friends and I often stay here. A new owner has come in and cleaned this place up. So all these bad reviews from several years ago were probably justified but the place is getting better. I'm so glad the new owners are doing the little things to make it better. Thank you

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank jimijimi71
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

While thinking of a perfect get away in Sedona for my girlfirend and I. I found everything was booked solid. I stumbled upon this Motel, and though this could be fun, although I wasnt 100% sold because I had never been to this area. I took the chance. I called to verify our mini Suite with fire place, and the Owners were TOP NOTCH. I expressed how I wanted to have something special in the room for my girlfirend, like flowers, or wine, and Management went above and beyond by offering me things I would never have expected. They put rose pedals all over the bed, have a heart pillow on the bed, bottle of champagne on ice with 2 champagne flutes, fire place setup and ready to go, and treated us as if we were royalty.
They went above and beyond any expectation I could have had. My girlfriends face when we walked in went from happy, to complete awe. It was a priceless moment, and made it all mean so much more to me. It was our first time taking a trip together, and I truly wanted it to be perfect. Lorna and Sam are the nicest people. They called us 15 minutes after walking in the room just to make sure everything was perfect for us. the morning we checked out, we went across the street for gas, and breakfast ( which I wouldnt recommend the pine lodge restaurant), as we were getting ready to pull away... Sam had ran all the way across the street to inform us that my girlfriend and I had left some personal belongings behind. He said they had it all ready for us at the office. Wow talk about service... I have stayed in some very expensive hotels in the past, but none can compare to the quality of service that Motel in the pines offeres. If you're looking for a place to get away, enjoy nature, and just enjoy something different...then stay here..
Weekend away $200
Gas round trip $100
Service from hotel and the big smile on my girlfiends face $ Priceless...
Thank you Lorna and Sam , I will be sure to spread the word.

Room Tip: Book the mini suite in cooler weather
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank David F
covina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed here just a couple weeks ago because we were hunting in the area. The room was clean and perfect for what we needed. We didnt use the microwave but we did use the coffee pot and only used the fridge to chill down a few drinks. Dont think we had WIFI but really didnt need it. The staff was friendly helpfull.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank cory e
Tempe, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

Just came back from here. Perfect place to stay! Just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the city, yet only about 15 minutes from Flagstaff. And the prices for such a nice cozy place can't be beat! We WILL be back for Thanksgiving!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Linden W
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Our first room had mold under the sink, the whole room smelled like mold. Website says free WIFI, but they said the signal wouldn't reach our room. The remote only worked for changing the channel. This was room #108. The volume and power you'd have to get out of bed every time to fix. The sleeper sofa had stains all over it. They switched our room to #208, it still smelled like mold a little bit. Then the wall heater didn't put out hot air. The cover of the heater was held on by duct tape. And kept falling off. Unacceptable!!! I have never stayed in such a horrible place. It's a family that runs it, they live on the premises. Worst place ever!!

• Stayed September 2012

Desert Quail Inn
Desert Quail Inn
#7 of 48 in Sedona
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,227 reviews

Been to Motel in the Pines? Share your experiences!