“pleasant place to stay”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oro Valley
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I took my girls volleyball team to stay there for a tournament at Tucson Convention Center and it was great. Staff very nice, very clean and breakfast was wonderful and very convenient to everything. The rooms where clean has a pool and whirl poos. workout room breakfast room big with yummy food.

Room Tip: there really are no bad rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
hieovaz, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Thank you very much for commenting on your recent stay with us. We appreciate the positive feedback and we make sure to pass this along to the hotel staff. Thank you again!

Reviewed 13 January 2013

Great visit; nice and quiet, yet convenient to shopping, hiking, business. Good breakfast and beautiful outdoor seating. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very nice, roomy and quiet. Not too much for onsite shopping or dining, but there is a lot very close by.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This location with a beautiful view of mountains is well staffed and clean. Any accommodation we needed was met with a smile. They set up a family meeting area for our "after wedding" family get together. They let us enjoy the use of the patio and living/lobby area. Our guests were in and out, from out of state and nearby. Everyone was treated with respect, even when stay dates needed changing. Even when out of town guests found themselves ill after arriving, the staff was as helpful as they could be. Setting up reservations, giving us a website link to add to our wedding site, guiding us through the property before we decided on their property, everything was wonderful. Thank you!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the east and upstairs have the best view of the beautiful mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2012

In Tucson for the half-marathon, I selected the Fairfield Inn over its next-door neighbor, the Hilton El Conquistador. I wasn’t looking for a resort experience or even a full-service hotel - just a clean, basic hotel. And that’s exactly what I found at the Fairfield.

The hotel is on the East side of Oracle Road, and the Southwestern architecture was a welcome sight. I appreciate when chain hotels try to incorporate the local flavor, and there were Southwestern elements evident in the interior as well. The hotel touts the room as “all-suites” since there is a sitting area with sleeper sofa and refrigerator. Television viewing options were extensive – over 50 channels. While the room would not be confused for one at the Four Seasons, it was clean and functional.

As with other Fairfield Inns, breakfast was complimentary. The breakfast itself was an array of continental fare – cereal, yogurt, and pastries. The first morning I arrived at 6:15, and the breakfast buffet was meticulously organized. This is to be expected since I was among the first guests. When I returned from the half-marathon the next morning – after 9:30 – the buffet was just as well-organized as the previous day. It was evident that the breakfast staff was making a conscious effort to restock and rearrange the breakfast items.

There were three minor issues which prevent this hotel from a perfect rating. First, the bathtub was like an oil slick – I almost fell upon entering. The hotel may want to revisit the bathtub polish. Second, the sound of doors closing interrupted my sleep. The guest room doors do not have stoppers. So if a fellow guest lets the door close itself, you’ll hear it. Finally, the associates were not helpful regarding the marathon shuttles. This was one of a few hotels which offered direct service to and from the marathon. It was surprising that none of the associates knew when the last bus was scheduled to leave, nor was there any signage. I learned from the bus drivers - at 4:45 in the morning - that there were multiple shuttles, and the last one would leave at 5:30. At that early hour, I would have greatly appreciated the extra sleep.

Finally, the hotel is about 35-40 minutes from Tuscon Airport and 25 minutes north of downtown. Oracle Road appears to be a main north-south artery, so you’ll pass multiple restaurants and shops. About 5-10 min due north on Oracle Road are several other restaurants including Chili’s and the Olive Garden. The restaurant adjacent to the hotel has been permanently closed, so you’ll need a car to pursue a meal.

In summary, the hotel fulfilled its purpose – clean, functional rooms. The three minor issues offset the attentive breakfast staff, so the hotel earns an "average" rating.

Pros: Clean, functional rooms and meticulously-organized breakfast

Cons: Slippery bathtub, doors slam, uninformed staff regarding local event

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank scl44
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to a location I needed to be the next morning. I was surprised by the high rate I found when I made the reservation, which actually was more than I had paid for a four star hotel the previous evening.

I found my room to be adequate and the bed comfortable although the room was quite dark and drab with little flare in any way. I had a breakfast meeting off site next morning so I did not eat the buffet provided at the hotel but I did go the the breakfast room for some orange juice before I left. The buffet appeared to be generous in its offerings and the food looked appealing.

I almost always stay at Marriott properties when I travel and chose this hotel simply because it was the closest one by some distance to where I needed to be. I would not choose to stay there again unless I needed to be in the area, and even then might explore other options.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2012

My wife and I were initially booked at the Hilton hotel nearby that was hosting a tennis tournament, but switched after one night to this one. Sadie at the front desk was very helpful with making the reservation. The free continental breakfast in the immaculate dining area was the perfect way to start each day. Unlike the other hotel, which our friends informed us charged for a corkscrew, this one readily offered use of one for no cost. When we asked about the availability of a drinks cooler, the manager, Bill, brought his in from home for our team to use. Compared to the other hotel, Fairfield, with its updated room, refrigerator and microwave, included breakfast and free fast wi-fi in the room, not just the lobby made our decision one we were very happy with.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DaveK425
hieovaz, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2012

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We have taken steps to correct the problems you mentioned. We know that our guests have choices and your feedback helps us determine if we are reaching our goals. It pleases us as a team when we receive positive feedback. Thank you. William Nintzel and staff.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Overall this property compares favorably to other Fairfield Inns, despite having been converted from a property built for another chain. Lovely welcome and ongoing contact with Sande at front desk. Super housekeeping. Ultra-convenient location unless you need to be right in downtown Tucson -- otherwise, every service/merchant under the sun is nearby. Although the almost standard waffle-maker is absent in the breakfast, there is French toast that can be warmed up in the toasters that is so tasty and rich, I must say (with jealousy) that it's better than my homemade!

Two small negatives: (1) The plumbing hardware is cheap and confusing to use in shower. And junky for the sinks (e.g., you really have to work on the faucet to get it not to drip). This should get into a maintenance/upgrade cycle soon. (2) Annoying pop/rsoft rock music going on in pool area -- given that there is no refreshment service, the nicest thing to do is relax by the pool and look at the mountains in the background; so play soft "New Age" or similar music suited for the location--not Madonna or some howling rock balladeer. Or no music at all. It adds nothing and detracts from the peaceful setting.

Room Tip: Pool-facing room unless you want the 6:40 AM wake-up call of the hotel Dumpster being emptied! Firs...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson-Mall
La Posada Lodge and Casitas
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tucson Paloma Village
Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley? Share your experiences!