“Triathlon Training Camp Hosted Here”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Oro Valley
Kaysville, Utah, United States
“Triathlon Training Camp Hosted Here”
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Email written to the Manager, Bill Nintzel.

"This is several days over due, I meant to send you an email quite awhile ago! I owe you a giant thank you.

Thank you Bill. You went way out of your way to help me out, accommodate my athletes, pay us special attention, and treat us with patience and kindness. I haven't seen customer service like this in a long long time. Despite a very busy weekend, you were very flexible with our check out time and with the few people that decided to stay another night.

Many hotels won't allow me to hang a banner and they all want to charge me a lot of money to use their conference room. It seems like, despite my bringing a large group of quality people into their hotel, I still have to beg for customer service. That is not the case with you, your staff, and your hotel.

Several times my athletes commented on how nice your hotel was, how impressed they were, and how kind everyone was.

I will always recommend your hotel. I will publicly post your hotel and promote it. Thank you. You helped make an incredible week, comfortable. "

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
hieovaz, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thank you so much for the positve feedback. We, as a team, strive to reach 100% guest satisfaction. We value our guests and appreciate you pointing out that our efforts have succeeded. Please come back a see us soon! Management and Staff, Fairfield Inn and Suites Oro Valley, AZ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We stayed here in mid-Feb for our daughter's wedding. The hotel is located near the weeding venue. With family and friends we had over 45 people in 20+ rooms from 1 night to 4 or 5. Clean rooms and common areas. Great breakfast with lots of choices and always stocked with fresh food.

We had reserved the wedding couple a room for their wedding night. We had offered to pick up a room at the Hilton resort next door but wanted to stay with their families. Totally unsolicited, the manager, Bill up graded them to the suite at the regular rate "because its not booked and its their night". I didn't know this until we webt to get a key the day of the wedding so we could decorate the room. This wasn't your typical mid-range hotel with an extra TV and sitting area. It was a full 3 room suite with full kitchen and a Roman tub.

They even opened up the breakfast room for our guests for rehearsal dinner. The kids wanted something informal and we used the great, huge stainless grill to cook burgers and dogs.

Every employee was great and accomodated all of us as we had (for hotels) weird schedules and only made rooms available for short windows. Without exception, every one of our guests commented positively on the hotel.

Frankly I found the negative reviews generally filled with minor problems like expecting the hotel could anticipate an electrical problem. I wasn't aware this was previously an HI Express. I stay almost exclusively at those hotels in my roughly 100 nights/year in biz travel. Its apparent that Bill and his staff have turned things around since Marriot took over the property. Thanks, Bill & staff for providing a great experience

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank mhharr
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I took my girls volleyball team to stay there for a tournament at Tucson Convention Center and it was great. Staff very nice, very clean and breakfast was wonderful and very convenient to everything. The rooms where clean has a pool and whirl poos. workout room breakfast room big with yummy food.

Room Tip: there really are no bad rooms
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
hieovaz, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Thank you very much for commenting on your recent stay with us. We appreciate the positive feedback and we make sure to pass this along to the hotel staff. Thank you again!
Alaska
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Great visit; nice and quiet, yet convenient to shopping, hiking, business. Good breakfast and beautiful outdoor seating. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very nice, roomy and quiet. Not too much for onsite shopping or dining, but there is a lot very close by.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This location with a beautiful view of mountains is well staffed and clean. Any accommodation we needed was met with a smile. They set up a family meeting area for our "after wedding" family get together. They let us enjoy the use of the patio and living/lobby area. Our guests were in and out, from out of state and nearby. Everyone was treated with respect, even when stay dates needed changing. Even when out of town guests found themselves ill after arriving, the staff was as helpful as they could be. Setting up reservations, giving us a website link to add to our wedding site, guiding us through the property before we decided on their property, everything was wonderful. Thank you!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the east and upstairs have the best view of the beautiful mountains.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 31 December 2012

In Tucson for the half-marathon, I selected the Fairfield Inn over its next-door neighbor, the Hilton El Conquistador. I wasn’t looking for a resort experience or even a full-service hotel - just a clean, basic hotel. And that’s exactly what I found at the Fairfield.

The hotel is on the East side of Oracle Road, and the Southwestern architecture was a welcome sight. I appreciate when chain hotels try to incorporate the local flavor, and there were Southwestern elements evident in the interior as well. The hotel touts the room as “all-suites” since there is a sitting area with sleeper sofa and refrigerator. Television viewing options were extensive – over 50 channels. While the room would not be confused for one at the Four Seasons, it was clean and functional.

As with other Fairfield Inns, breakfast was complimentary. The breakfast itself was an array of continental fare – cereal, yogurt, and pastries. The first morning I arrived at 6:15, and the breakfast buffet was meticulously organized. This is to be expected since I was among the first guests. When I returned from the half-marathon the next morning – after 9:30 – the buffet was just as well-organized as the previous day. It was evident that the breakfast staff was making a conscious effort to restock and rearrange the breakfast items.

There were three minor issues which prevent this hotel from a perfect rating. First, the bathtub was like an oil slick – I almost fell upon entering. The hotel may want to revisit the bathtub polish. Second, the sound of doors closing interrupted my sleep. The guest room doors do not have stoppers. So if a fellow guest lets the door close itself, you’ll hear it. Finally, the associates were not helpful regarding the marathon shuttles. This was one of a few hotels which offered direct service to and from the marathon. It was surprising that none of the associates knew when the last bus was scheduled to leave, nor was there any signage. I learned from the bus drivers - at 4:45 in the morning - that there were multiple shuttles, and the last one would leave at 5:30. At that early hour, I would have greatly appreciated the extra sleep.

Finally, the hotel is about 35-40 minutes from Tuscon Airport and 25 minutes north of downtown. Oracle Road appears to be a main north-south artery, so you’ll pass multiple restaurants and shops. About 5-10 min due north on Oracle Road are several other restaurants including Chili’s and the Olive Garden. The restaurant adjacent to the hotel has been permanently closed, so you’ll need a car to pursue a meal.

In summary, the hotel fulfilled its purpose – clean, functional rooms. The three minor issues offset the attentive breakfast staff, so the hotel earns an "average" rating.

Pros: Clean, functional rooms and meticulously-organized breakfast

Cons: Slippery bathtub, doors slam, uninformed staff regarding local event

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank scl44
Anderson, Indiana
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to a location I needed to be the next morning. I was surprised by the high rate I found when I made the reservation, which actually was more than I had paid for a four star hotel the previous evening.

I found my room to be adequate and the bed comfortable although the room was quite dark and drab with little flare in any way. I had a breakfast meeting off site next morning so I did not eat the buffet provided at the hotel but I did go the the breakfast room for some orange juice before I left. The buffet appeared to be generous in its offerings and the food looked appealing.

I almost always stay at Marriott properties when I travel and chose this hotel simply because it was the closest one by some distance to where I needed to be. I would not choose to stay there again unless I needed to be in the area, and even then might explore other options.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oro Valley
Holiday Inn Express Oro Valley - Tucson North
Red Lion Inn & Suites Tucson North Foothills
Embassy Suites by Hilton Tucson Paloma Village
Best Western Innsuites Tucson Foothills Hotel & Suites
Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort
Westward Look Wyndham Grand Resort and Spa

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Tucson North/Oro Valley? Share your experiences!