“just what the doctor ordered”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hermosa Inn

Hermosa Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Scottsdale, Arizona
“just what the doctor ordered”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Upon arrival of a adult night away from the kids we knew we were going to relax. The grounds are beautiful the location in the middle of a residential area winding paths and only 31 rooms. We checked in without any problems and were given a little history of the property as the front desk lady walked us to our room. We booked a Casita it was a great size with a king bed a seating area with fireplace and a private patio unfortunately due to the heat we could not use the later. The bathroom was updated and had a walk in shower no bathtub however we knew that at booking so it was not a problem for us. The pictures on the website were pretty spot on. We went to dinner at Lon's and had the three course meal it was fantastic. and a great price. If you can check out the wine cellar where they sometimes have special dinners it was beautiful and the temperature was at least 60 degrees .Upon returning the bed was turned down and cookies placed on it for us. One final thought please do not bring kids not only will the be bored it would ruin the atmosphere. When we take our kids for a staycation we stay at the Phoenician which is very close has huge pools and lots of kid activities All and all we enjoyed our time at the Hermosa Inn

Room Tip: Upgrade to a casita if you can the Rancho rooms looked small.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Kendra S, Public Relations Manager at Hermosa Inn, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for the great review! We appreciate you sharing your experience with others and hope to see you again soon.

Cheers & Safe Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Minneapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Last December I made a reservation directly with the hotel for a 10 day stay in March for which I presented my credit card for confirmation and received an email confirmation. The day before departure I received a phone call from the hotel informing me that the reservation clerk made a mistake on the price and the hotel was not willing to honor the price that I was guaranteed. To say the least, I was shocked. We are talking about a $60 per day difference in the price. i explained to the clerk that I felt they should honor the confirmed price and that I would bring my confirmation letter and we could discuss it upon my arrival which was less than 24 hours away.

Upon arrival I was informed that "not only would they not honor the price that I was guaranteed, but they had no room that night because some guests had stayed an extra night." Odd?
They graciously offered to put us up at another hotel at their cost for one night and we could check in the following day, but not at my guaranteed rate, at the higher rate. I was unhappy on three accounts -1. they were putting me in a hotel that I didn't like, 2. they weren't honoring my guaranteed reservation, and 3. I had to move around when I was very much looking forward to relaxing in the sun as an escape from a very brutal winter. However we agreed to come back the next day.
The next day, as were were preparing to depart, I received a call from the reservation clerk at the Hermosa Inn informing me that they wouldn't honor my reservation at all. "There was no room for our entire stay because guests were extending their stays." Really odd? Not only that, but if I didn't want to stay were they had put me. (At a hotel that I really didn't like, at a higher price). I was on my own to find another place. This was high season!
After a morning of telephone calls, I finally got a hold of the general manager who told me it had been his decision not to give us a room because he was afraid we would be unhappy, complaining guests! I couldn't believe my ears. After much discussion I impressed upon him the need of his staff to find me other suitable accommodations which they finally did, but I had lost two days of vacation.
I cannot imagine a hotel not honoring a reservation that they had made in good faith and then being so disingenuous in their treatment of a guest.
Although they offered to take care of us next year. I would never stay at this hotel and I urge any who might consider staying there to look at other options.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Northernflyer2013
Kendra S, Public Relations Manager at Hermosa Inn, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for the review and I'm so very sorry to hear about your experience. I spoke with our Director of Guest Services, Pam Swartz, and our Managing Director who both recalled the reservation error.

Unfortunately Ali had given you our internal pricing structure with Expedia, not the pricing for guests, which explains the price difference but having called you to discuss this error so soon before your trip is understandably unacceptable.

Being a small property we were unfortunately oversold during that time, but the Managing Director has since worked with all reservation staff to ensure proper planning is in place for all room bookings henceforth. This should ensure an experience like the one you had is never repeated.

Again, we do sincerely apologize and if there's anything we can do for you to help ensure a more welcoming, and stress-free, visit please contact Ms. Swartz directly at 602.955.7586 or via email at PSwartz@HermosaInn.com and she will take care of you.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed in one of their casita's and they are spacious, bright ,clean and love the southwest decor. Also cute little patio just outside the room.The bed was so very comfortable and the sheets were so white and very soft, great quality, so much i didn't want to get out of bed. The grounds are beautiful ,the restaurant patio is gorgeous and the mountain views are a huge bonus. This is not your average large hotel , this is where you go to relax ,have quiet time and enjoy the quaint surroundings.
We went for happy hour and were pleasantly surprised by a great singer and guitar player. I also love this place for the excellent food. Dinner was delicious and breakfast is also very good, my favorite is the eggs benedict for breakfast. Check out the incredible wine cellar which is used for large dinner parties. A bit of advice ,if you have dinner in the wine cellar bring a sweater.We stayed one night at the Hermosa Inn and next year it will be two nights because we loved it so much.

Room Tip: maybe next time.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review! We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you sharing your experience with others.

Until next time...safe travels!
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We really had a wonderful time here, Our deluxe casita was spacious and inviting. (We especially liked the automatic cover over the skylight <smile>.) Everyone we spoke to was very accommodating and helpful, and the grounds are beautiful and well kept, except...
When we checked in on thursday, I told Nicole (I think) that it was our wedding anniversary (44!). (I know, we can't believe it either:) She said, "happy anniversary". And that was it . No acknowledgement from the hotel. Disappointing.
I'm not sure, but I think since she asked how we heard about them and I said the internet, she figured we got a cheap rate (sort of like what happens to Priceline customers) and didn't deserve anything extra. Well, the rate we paid was no lower than some of the specials rates on their website or through I Prefer, to which we also belong. And, like I said, I don't know if what I'm saying is accurate, its just the feeling I had.
We didn't let that spoil our 3 days there, we had a magical time at this meticulously maintained property.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda T
Thank you for the wonderful review, and Happy (now belated) Anniversary! I was quite surprised as well to hear that nothing had been done for your anniversary, as we always try to send amenities to any guest celebrating a special occasion.

I spoke with the front desk, as well as our Director of Guest Services Pam Swartz, and it must have gotten lost in the shuffle that day, so we do apologize for this oversight and hope it didn't put a damper on your celebration in any way.

Prior to your next stay, please feel free to connect with Pam directly (PSwartz@hermosainn.com | 602.955.8614) and she will ensure you're well taken care of throughout your visit - in addition to your anniversary being noted in your guest profile for future stays.

Safe travels and we hope to see you again soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

The first thing you notice of the property is that, while easy to reach and centrally located, its very serene and feels many miles away from the hustle and traffic of Scottsdale or central Phoenix. The grounds are a beautiful, ranch style lay out with a nice pool and a bar/restaurant/lounge. In addition to the usual, yet very attractive, desert landscapping, the property rightfully boasts an amazing collection of outdoor sculpture throughout the grounds. These are museum/gallery quality works that add a great character to the setting.
I stayed in a casita-type room, which appeared to be a worthwhile upgrade from the base level accomodations. The room was very large with a vaulted celing and several nice amenities. The bed was huge and quite comfortable. A fireplace was located in the corner of the room and room opened to a nice patio area. Given the 115 degree outdoor temp, neither were used during my stay. My one, and only criticism of the room was that the carpeting in my room is badly in need of replacement - or a spectacular cleaning job. There were several permanent looking stains in the carpet, which should not be present in any decent place. This needs to be corrected right away and it really stands in contrast to the otherwise very well maintained features.
The low season and very high temp made for low occupancy, so its difficult to see how the resort functions when full. Based on the excellent service delivered by all resort personnel, I would suspect they maintain great five-star service at all times. The service was always friendly, knowledgeable and efficient.
The restaurant and bar on site were fairly busy considering the time of year. I had breakfast there, which was perfect, and the bar is a small but comfortable spot for pre or post dinner cocktails.
The web site does an accurate job of showing the visuals of the property. Again, the real unique feature of the place is that its very serene and a far different enviroment than you would experience at large area resorts like the Biltmore, Camelback Inn, Phoenician, etc. Kids may be a bit bored, but for couples wanting tranquility, or for a subdued business getaway spot, its perfect.
One final positive to share - the resort does not charge an annoying, yet increasingly common "resort fee". They also do not charge for self service parking, which also seems to be cropping up increasingly in area properties. Good for them.

Room Tip: The property offers complimentary use of a large "Anytime Fitness", which is only a couple...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RSBJGB
Kendra S, Public Relations Manager at Hermosa Inn, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hermosa Inn - we appreciate the great review! I also wanted to note that the carpets are being replaced, so hopefully on your next visit that will have been taken care of.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Safe travels!
Granbury, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

My wife and I in June attended a weeding in Sedona over a weekend. Sunday we left Sedona
looking for a place to stay Sunday night before returning home to TX. This hotel is small and
gives you the feel of staying in a outdoor art gallery. The grounds are well maintained and have a number of out door art statues around each garden area.(COWBOY ARTEST BUILT THE HOTEL).
We stayed in one there one bedroom buildings which had two 40" HDTV's a large King Bed and
a bathroom you hold a dance in. it was clear to my wife and myself the fixtures in the bath
and some of the furnishings are right out of Restoration Hardware Show Room. They have a lovely pool for swimming and bar service is all day.

LONS on the grounds was great. This little find dinning place has a out door garden seating area
for both drinks and dinner and the main building is right out of the Old West.
The food was very good and creative. They have a very well stocked wine cellar at a reasonable price point.

When in Scottsdale or Phoenix do your self a favor stay one night or more and I am sure you will agree this is one great place.
(15 min from the airport rental car plaza).

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the one bedroom it is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful review! We're so happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed your time spent here at the resort and LON's, in addition to admiring the artwork on property.

We hope to see you again very soon, but in the meantime safe travels!
Chandler, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I usually staycation at The Boulders, but wanted to exoerience something new. So, we spent the weekend at The Hermosa Inn. Very impressive. We reserved a cabanna at the pool and spent the entire day at the pool. The staff are very attentive and polite. the grounds are well manicured, and it was refreshing to stay at a resort that is peaceful and quiet. We'll be back again, to simply chill out.

Room Tip: Rooms 112 through 115 are a bit more secluded and right near the hot tub.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Kendra S, Public Relations Manager at Hermosa Inn, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you for the great review, David! We're so happy that you gave us a try for your staycation and hope to see you both again soon. In the meantime, safe travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,589 reviews
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Hermosa Inn? Share your experiences!