“Unforgetable experience at Montelucia!”

Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I just recently returned from an incredible stay at the Montelucia. Everything from the food to the service to the spa to the grounds was impeccable.

Rooms - beautiful large rooms with well-equipped bathrooms and balconies. I know there are many types of rooms at this resort. We had a second floor room overlooking the pool and it was beautiful. There was a large bed with very comfortable bedding. The bathroom was huge with a nice walk-in shower and a soaking tub. The rooms were kept very clean and had nice amenities (plush bathrobes, coffee stations, etc). I really loved sitting in the comfortable loungers on my balcony enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning.

The grounds - incredibly relaxing and well maintained. There are many different buildings with mountain views, pool views, and resort views. You can tell the staff really takes pride in keeping the grounds looking good.

The spa - WOW! Just wow! My husband and I absolutely loved the spa. We choose a couples massage and I also received the citrus wrap. All services were incredible, some of the best I've ever received. I can't remember the square footage of the spa but it is enormous! Many treatment rooms, men’s and ladies lockers/spa/sauna/steam rooms, spa salt water pool, and a restaurant. The day of spa services you are free to use any of the extra amenities. I would highly suggest taking full advantage of these. I wish we could have stayed there longer. The restaurant at the spa is open to any guests and I would highly suggest it especially if you are looking for a healthier bite. Very delicious.

The restaurants - We ate at Prado, the cafe, the spa restaurant, and the sports bar. Sorry I don't remember most of the names. Every restaurant was top notch. We had a light breakfast at the cafe and it was very good and reasonably priced. The sports bar was great for lunch or a snack. Really delicious bar food. Everything we ate was really wonderful. We ate out many nights and decided that the hotel restaurants were our favorites.

Service - The staff was really welcoming and helpful. You can tell they take pride in making sure each guest has an enjoyable stay. I had made the reservation when the hotel was under its prior ownership and they still honored my free night. Very great customer service. Everyone from the valet helping us with directions, to the front desk helping with hiking and running routes, to just the random smile and hello was wonderful.

Overall the stay was wonderful. We normally like to try new places when traveling but if we return to Phoenix we will definitely be staying at the Montelucia. We loved it! If you are trying to decide, stop now and book this hotel. You will not be sorry.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,635)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The staff were professional, cheerful, kind and supportive. Grounds were beautiful. Food was excellent. Every time we expressed a need it was quickly communicated to the correct person and immediately attended to. Every staff person we encountered was consistently professional, helpful and kind.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I booked a two night stay with my wife for a Spring Break stay. As a former resident of the Phoenix area, I was aware that March is the high season, so I expected the worst with the crowds. This resort and spa was an oasis away from the busy traffic and terrible drivers.

Spa--A+. Couples massage was so relaxing. My wife and I made great use of the private spa pool, the co-ed relaxation room, the hot tub, the steam room, the sauna, and the cold deluge shower.

Room--A-. The resort did accommodate my request for a view of Camelback, however in general, the room did not feel like a top class luxury room. For a 5 star property, the room was fairly simple. The balcony was great and the deep soak tub and well designed shower were highlights.

Common areas--A-. The Andalusian/Moroccan decor is nice, and the main courtyard area overlooking the pool is beautiful. The adult pool was nicely heated with a great view of Camelback. The family pool was busy with kids splashing around. There is not really a logical flow from the entrance to the rooms. There is not a "Wow" experience upon entering the resort, and there isn't really a "main entrance."

Restaurants--Incomplete. I only went to Crave Cafe, which had decent breakfast items to-go. The gelato was pretty good during the heat of the day.

Location--A+. This is the reason to stay here. The full view of Camelback is majestic, and it is available at the spa pool terrace, the gym, and the spinning area. Echo trail at Camelback mountain is a 0.8 mile walk away. It isn't really driveable during peak season, as parking fills up very early in the morning. Bring lots of water.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights at the Omni Montelucia, and would've been happy to stay longer. The resort is like others of this calibre in that the property is beautifully landscaped with lots of green trees and grass as well as winding pathways, and gorgeous bougainvillea all around. They've done a great job of trying to give privacy on private patios as well. Using bushes and trees to great effect. The rooms are nice and well appointed, although they could use new carpeting. The service is excellent, and the pools, spa, and restaurants are all great. We dined both nights at their main restaurant Prado. High end, yet comfortable and not stuffy. We also enjoyed our breakfast at the Crave cafe...a nice quick spot to grab a bite. A Starbucks on the premises would have been ideal, but alas, the latte at Crave was fine.:) We appreciated the fact that there was an adult pool as well as a kids pool. We spent half a day shopping at the Fashion Square Mall - great shops! High and medium end stores....less than 10 minutes drive from the resort. If in the Paradise Valley/Phoenix area again, we would happily return to Montelucia.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank MTVandendooren
Reviewed 30 March 2014

you have to be careful....especially on gratuities. The hotel charged greater gratuities than what was given on our bill on three different services. The room's lighting is a bit too dark along with the bathroom lighting. But these things are not the biggest problem. The issue I have is when you are paying for luxury, one would assume the workers could be pleasant. Unfortunately, about 50% were and 50% weren't. The massage therapist was good but was so dead pan than she just didn't feel like she wanted to be there. She started the conversation with "you have 50 minutes, what do you want me to work on...." no "hi, how are you today?...etc" no pleasantries. The massage was $159...could she not have at least said "how are you today"? The food service staff was the same if you requested anything, like a place setting when we had none. One wait staff member looked at me when I made the request then looked around at other tables almost like he expected me to get the service from another table myself, and then, kind of begrudgingly, said "ok". Lastly, the rooms were comfortable but the experience was diminished by the above. I feel certain if you want to spend $400-$500 a night for room at a resort, there may be resorts that treat their guests like they are happy to be there in the same area. I'm not snobby but a modicum of pleasantness would have been appreciated. Oh...PS: the Prada food left a lot to be desired....just an aside.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
marcom_scottsdale, Manager at Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Hello Lisa,

We are sorry to hear that you experienced a lack of welcoming service during your time with us at the Resort. Our goal is to always exceed the expectations of our guests and we seem to have fallen short in this instance. We have spoken with our Executive Team regarding these issues and are committed to resolving this for all future encounters with all of our guests.

We hope that you will consider visiting the Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia again to give us another opportunity to show you the exceptional guest experience we are known for.

Thank you.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a great hotel for business or family stay. The guest services is fantastic and the hotel staff do a great job to ensure a top of the line stay. I have two teen age daughters that used the fitness facilities and both pools and enjoyed their stay. I realize you have many choices of hotels to stay in Phoenix/Scottsdale area, but this Omni hotel is situated perfect for recreation and shopping as well as dining experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Overall we had a very nice stay at this resort, however we did have a few issues and at the price we were paying, the resort should've been a well oiled machine. It was not.

First, the resort is beautiful. Almost everywhere on the property has a great view of Camelback Mountain. We were there with kids and the family pool was very big, and a huge hot tub as well.

The pool area was also well staffed, always bringing around pitchers of ice water. We didn't spend any time at the adult pool, however when we walked by it looked very pretty and very quiet.

First issue: the first two days we were there the pool was very cold. Some kids braved the cold water, however there were no adults in the pool. Many people complained, and by the third day the pool was very well heated. I am not sure what the issue was.

Next, on the weekend, they have a security guard at the pool, guests are given wristbands, and all the gates to the pool are locked. This was just bizarre, I have never seen anything like this at a high-end hotel.

Next issue, our room was not ready at check-in, and the person at the front desk told us that they no longer had a room with two queen beds for us. The front desk person tried to put us in a room with a king size bed and cots for the kids. When I got upset because we booked the room months ago and we had just flown in from Chicago, the manager came out and it ends up our room was just not ready yet. However, we had to sit around and wait over an hour until after 5 PM.

Back to the positives. Once we got into our room, I thought it was great. Huge, beautiful bathroom, probably close to 200 square feet. The balcony was huge as well with furniture and a great view of Camelback Mountain.

The food we had at the property was very good. I thought the casual restaurant by the pool was excellent, with great TVs for watching sports.

Overall, the resort was very good, with the potential to be great. Just a few management issues. I'm not sure I would stay there again paying full price, but I would definitely go back if I found a deal.

Stayed: March 2014
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#19 of 76 in Scottsdale
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia? Share your experiences!