“Excellent Place”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Atlanta
“Excellent Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

I stayed here for four nights in August. Staff was friendly, extraordinary,skilled and unobtrusive. Food was excellent, although the service was a bit slow. Rooms were large, quiet and very comfortable. Although the hotel is not close to downtown, it is an excellent place if you want to be somewhat off the beaten track. Spa was okay - about mid-range in quality.

One of the biggest things I liked was that there was no feeling of being nicked and dimed for every little thing - although stay away from the mini-bar! LIke every other resort I found in Phoenix, there is a resort charge but it is only $14 verus up the $35 in some of the other resorts.

I would stay here without any qualms.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, 17 August 2010
Such a pleasure to have wonderful guests like you! We will look forward to your return!

Jill Clark/Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

Are you looking for a place to relax and be treated with courteous, professional service? The Sanctuary Spa is the place for you. On Sunday, July 24th, I was seeking a place to escape from the daily stressors and get a soothing massage. I called to schedule an appointment and was greeted by a smile over the phone. Yes, it's true - the gentleman, Rob Johnson, was delightful, detailed and efficient in scheduling my appointment to fit exactly what I imagined. I arrived to a very welcoming and personalized atmosphere, that was amazing even before the massage. Upon my departure, I was rejuvinated and elated knowing I went to the Sanctuary Spa.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences at Sanctuary. We will all look forward to seeing you again one day soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

This was the second time my wife and I stayed at the Sanctuary. We wanted a relaxing and romantic place to get away without having to leave Phoenix. We spent all 3 days at the hotel lounging around at the pool. The pool is the hotel's central location and everybody seems to come for this reason during the summer. It gets busy, but whenever children or groups would get loud, the manager would promptly ask them to quiet down. We were happy about this since it ensured we would get the quiet and relaxation we wanted. There is a menu at the pool, but it is not cheap. We actually left the hotel one of the days for lunch just to get a meal under $40.
The rooms at this hotel are great. They are not your typical hotel rooms. The ones I have stayed in are very modern with high-end furniture. Most interesting, is that the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom has a window that you can open or close to the rest of the room. There is also a large glass walk-in shower. There is a mini fridge, flat screen television, and an alarm clock that has a cable for plugging in your iPod (nice touch). All in all, we have never had any issues with this hotel. The staff are awesome and you should expect to have a memorable time there.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, 6 August 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your wonderful comments. We will look forward to having you as our guest again one day soon!
Ramsey, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

Stayed here for four nights in late July during the off season. Temperatures hit 105 but that didn't deter us, because we had the hotel mostly to ourselves. The spa suite we stayed in goes for three times what we paid in November. The biggest room we've been in with more space than we used (never went out the big deck or in the private outdoor bathtub). The property is very well maintained and build into the side of Camelback Mountain. Spa, infinity pool, restaurant (elements), bar (jade), exercise center/fitness room were all top notch with excellent staff. Unpretentious, classy, not over the top, aware of its surroundings, all help to describe the property.

We will definitely stay when we come back, although the price tag will be much different in the high season. We travel every July/August for a few days of R&R and this was the best value for money we've been too, with similar quality. Previous stays have included the Ritz in Naples, Raleigh in South Beach, Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita in Mexico and the One and Only in the Bahamas.

Last point on the restaurant and bar. Both were excellent. We ate at elements twice during our stay. Small menu with very thoughtful options and local ingredients. Not too high end and not too casual, just right. The guys behind the bar were excellent, both at making drinks and conversation. All their ingredients, from lemonade to orange juice to bitters to blue cheese stuffed olives are made by the staff every day/week.

Overall a wonderfull four days in a very relaxing environment.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us and will look forward to seeing you again one day soon!
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

We stayed in a Spa Suite and it was perfect. The pools were amazing and the staff were awesome.
Our suite was everything we could have hoped for.
The infinity pool was wonderful and the pool staff the best.
The hotel has a great fitness center and lap pool.
THE SPA was the only let down for me. I was told by my husband that the men's spa was amazing but the women's spa was outdated and worn. The chairs in the lounge area literally had very worn patches and did not recline in anyway so you had to sit upright, the white tile around the jacuzzi needed a good bleach and scrub and the full length glass doors in the lounge that look onto the beautiful water garden were covered with shear drapes. I cancelled my treatment after seeing the spa area was not conducive for me to relax and luxuriate in. Now granted I'm very fussy and go to many different spas but this one has quite the reputation and although I'm sure the services live up to the hype as all their staff were great, the women's spa did not.
With that said, we loved the hotel and will go back many more times. It was relaxing and very friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
We are glad to hear you will be back! I am sorry you were disappointed in the spa furnishings and did not keep your appointment; our service providers are truly outstanding. We are excited that planning for a redo of the spa locker areas is under way and will look forward to having you see it when you return!
Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

We continue to return to the sanctuary; this resort is wonderful; the service is excellent; great food at the elements restaurant; the accommodations are contemporary, relaxing and super clean; always the best linens, very responsive service and friendly staff; beautiful pool and spa; the resort is located on north face of Camelback Mountain with beautiful views of valley day and night; the resort size is intimate and still large enough to include all you want from a high-end resort; the grounds are beautiful and a pleasure to walk; resort is located close to Scottsdale restaurants and shopping and hiking; you cannot go wrong coming here; not to be missed!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind words and for your business! We will look forward to seeing you again!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

Every time I try to stay at this resort I regret it. I live in the area and frequently want to use the spa, restaurant, or even hotel due to the proximity to my home. The location is beautiful, and I always cross my fingers that the staff will pull it together for a change. I have learned my lesson though. I am always disappointed. The pool staff are more interested in flirting with girls than servicing the guests. The restaurant, even though it has gone through a major renovation, lacks the service of a truly fine dining establishment, and anyone expecting a five star stay should go the The Royal Palms.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hill0506
Sancmanager, Manager at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain, responded to this review, 4 August 2010
Thank you so much for allowing me the time to discuss your stay with us! I am grateful for your feedback and delighted that you will plan a return trip to Sanctuary!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#16 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,128 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Camelback Mountain? Share your experiences!