“Great Property / OK service”

JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Property / OK service”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a business conference that I attended. The hotel property is very unique and beautiful. They were very organized and I was very impressed with how they handled everything with the conference. Our room was on the second floor. It was very spacious, clean and we had a small balcony with a good view (although it was way too hot to sit outside) I did not go to into to the pool but it looked very nice and they even had cabanas to escape the sun if you wanted. We did eat at the restaurant attached to the pool. The service was horrible and the food was not very good either. I would not recommend. The hotel staff was very nice and polite and they really go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of. We did frequent some of the restaurants after our meetings for dinner and cocktails. The service was very slow. I thought they would of been a little more prepared considering they knew they had a large conference staying at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank purplepassion15

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Waco, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Camelback for 3 nights along with 2 other couples to celebrate my wife's birthday. The resort was nice, clean and the service was good. The resort did not however match up with what we envisioned for an Arizona resort vacation. I certainly deserve a bit of the blame for this as the trip was booked last minute with very little research, but I felt confident in choosing the Camelback because of the JW Marriot designation which is typically reserved for flagship properties.

We wanted a nice resort with 3 things: 1. Golf for the guys 2. A nice pool for all of us. 3. A spa for the ladies. The Cameback is an apartment complex. It is well run and well maintained, but the property does not feel like a resort. There are no views from the rooms or anywhere else on the property for that matter because of the way it is laid out.

1. There is no golf course on the property. The golf courses affiliated with the resort are a 5-10 minute drive. If you are going to be leaving the property to play golf, there are dozens of better options in the area.

2. The pool was really nice for an apartment complex, but not up to par for a "4-5 star resort".

3. I can say that my wife is very particular when it comes to spas, and she enjoyed her time there.

In summary, if you are in the are for other reasons, The Camelback Inn is not a bad place to stay. If you are looking for a destination resort keep looking.

Room Tip: If you don't have a vehicle, ask to be close to the lobby/restaurants. If you do have a vehicl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bo J
880marcr, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and our services. I am sorry that the setting did not live up to your expectations. However I am very please to hear that you enjoyed the service provided to you by our staff and that your wife found her Spa experience to be to her liking.

Everything we do is aimed at providing our guests with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Located in a residential area, this resort is an oasis amongst rows of homes and golf courses. With breathtaking views of Camelback Mountain, this JW Marriott has great amenities and beautiful grounds. During the slower months, the rooms are very quiet. I had a single casita that as very comfortable. Covering a wide area, you can either enjoy a casual stroll to your room or request a golf cart shuttle there in a minute. Spa services were impressive. I had dinner at BLT. Service was spotty, due to the many conventioneers that had the same reservation time. Food was okay. What impressed me the most was the friendly staff. I was addressed by name almost always, which rarely happens at other JWs. I look forward to future stays there as I will make this Marriott an annual event in July.

Room Tip: Arrange a room upon check in close to the resort services you would use the most. Otherwise, you sho...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank richn1978
Portland OR
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our second time here, and we will be back again. Delightful grounds, beautiful views, excellent service, delicious food (Happy Hour at the BLT, try the popovers). We were there to celebrate our 22nd anniversary, and this is just the romantic place that we needed for that occasion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGalOR
Burlington, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I attended a conference at this resort and the surroundings were absolutely breathtaking. I love the individual casitas and the golf cart service to your room certainly makes the 109 degree days more bearable. Peaceful, serene, and a feeling of seclusion while still surrounded by hundreds of other guests. The room service was outstanding and the staff were some of the friendliest that I've encountered. Would love to go back for leisure and really enjoy all this facility has to offer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Seville, Ohio
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Still a really nice place to stay, this was our third stay over a five year time period...For us the people a nearly all the Marriott hotels & resorts make their properties special. I am sure this older property is a tough place to maintain, the grounds were beautiful, our room and roof top patio were super clean, as was the pool, and the fitness room. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping,& gardener's are very friendly & helpful always willing to go the extra mile to make your stay the best they can. With that said and this being their slow season and is the time for repairs...Our screen door latch was broken, one our lounge chairs had a hole through the web seat and was unusable, the bathroom scale didn't work, the light outside our door was burnt out & our small fridge was old and pretty noisy (some rooms have new small fridges). All are small things, but lots of them! (4 star?). Nothing I would let bother my stay...But some folks might have a problem with these things, overall a great place & fun resort to stay at. Also great rates in July!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CherokeeN9444W
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Was at this property on business with over 300 others from my company July 16-19 and it was the best experience from beginning to end!!!
First of all the property is breathtakingly beautiful!!! The rooms decor was stylish but very much representative of the West. Did I say how comfortable the beds were??? Slept like a baby every night!!!
Most importantly the staff was beyond amazing!!!! They were always and I mean always smiling, you knew they loved what they were doing!!! It's also a testament that they are appreciated and respected by those they report to!!! I am grateful to them all for their genuine hospitality.
They were beyond accommodating, taking care of our every need at all times!!
I must give a heartfelt thanks to a few of them in the banquet staff that really stood out and made my stay wonderful!!! Wether it was at breakfast or the cookout at Mummy Mountain, Adrian, Derrick, Orville and Shanetha were beyond gracious and attentive to our every need!!! The food was always great, I'm still craving the Mac and cheese from out cookout at Mummy Mountain!!!
Thank you all for your service, humor and most of all your dedication!! I had a ball with them, wish they were on my team!!!
I even had an amazing conversation over the phone with Susie after the stay and she continued with the amazing service. Thank you Susie!!!
I have traveled with my company over 10 years and have stayed in many hotels in cities such as Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego, Houston, San Antonio and Orlando and they have been great stays but this one topped them all in every aspect!!!
My plan is to return here in the near future with my husband!!
Thank you Camelback Inn staff for an unforgettable visit, I hope to return in the near future with my husband!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise Valley
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!