“Ugh! Would not return!” 1 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paradise Valley
“Ugh! Would not return!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2005

Our stay here was so awful, we need another vacation! Even at our off-season rate of $174, this hotel was nowhere near worth the money. We'll never stay here again, and may never stay in another Marriott.
1) At check in, the front desk manager couldn't find our reservation due to hotel's incorrect spelling of our name. Her attitude was not apologetic, but made us feel unwelcome from the start. She also told us my parents were not staying there, even though they had been there already for three nights.
2) We had requested a non-smoking room. The room we were given had an ashtray in it and smelled smokey, even though we were told (again by the front desk manager) that this was a non-smoking room. Our room was also mainly reachable and looked directly onto the service entrance of the hotel, where all the food deliveries and garbage trucks arrived and left.
3) The first night, at 9PM, while we were sleeping, a housekeeper came in, shouting loudly to his co-worker, opened the door so forcefully it banged against the wall, turned on the lights, frightened all of us, including the baby who was sound asleep, and instead of apologizing, just said that he had knocked.
4) The men's room near the lobby was very poorly maintained--one afternoon I went in and there was dried urine on the toilet seat, the trash hadn't been emptied in awhile.
5) The trash bin of the pool area near the lobby was also poorly maintained, and overflowing.
6) The clock-radio in room was broken, didn't play CDs as it was supposed to.
7) We had ordered a rollaway bed when we made our reservation, and it took several hours for it to be delivered.
8) When we ordered macaroni and cheese for our daughter from room service (at a price of $5), what arrived was a plate full of lukewarm Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.
9) While attempting to eat at the spa restaurant, our food took over 40 minutes to arrive, and NOBODY came to us to explain why our food was so late, or to offer us some kind of snack while we waited (with our SMALL CHILD). Our food only arrived after we complained loudly to the maitre’d.

We could on go, but you get the picture.

Horrible.

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Sedona, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2005

We arrived two hours early and once we checked in it was nothing but fantastic! The front desk were very friendly, I asked for a room close to the Jack Rabbit Pool and presto she gave us a large cassita with a wonderful private patio. The room was spacious, clean and I do agree the bathrooms do need to be updated but it served its purpose! The pool was a very family friendly environment, and the room service was impeccable!!! I loved the way the attendant set up our dinner on the patio. The food well worth the money and I felt like we were sitting at an elegant resturant. Rich colored table linens, wine glasses (even for soda) and well presented dishes that were very tasty. I spent the early hours at the spa working out (the attendant in the fitness room was fantastic too) then had a facial, used the steam room, etc, etc.. everything was wonderful. However the only reason I am not giving this resort and excellent rating is the fact that I left some belongings behind and I know exactly where they were left, but room service emphatically stated that its wasn't there. I know I left it there because it wasn't in my bags and I remember placing it there before getting distracted and remembered it 4 hours later 100 miles away. The total cost of replacement was over $100 but it obviously was my fault leaving it there in the first place. Folks if you leave something behind consider it gone!!

8 Thank my3sonstoo
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2005

Stayed at the Marriott Camelback for a multi-day conference. This is a large, older property nestled in between Mummy Mountain and Camelback Mountain about 20 minutes and $24 by cab from the airport. The setting is classic for the area and the property is beautifully landscaped and well maintained. There are many paths to walk the property and three pools nestled among the casita style rooms. The Spa is very nicely run - with a wide variety of treatments, very nice pool and wet areas, well appointed locker rooms and professional treatment staff.

I was upgraded to a bi-level room which was very spacious. The room was large and functional, but in need of updating. For a business conference location it was very nice, but I'd prefer a property like the Boulders or Four Seasons for a more romantic, upscale holiday.

One note, I used room service the first night of my stay and was very impressed with the speed and quality. The food was very good, hot and delivered in well under 30 minutes which was impressive considering the delivery logistics. I also enjoyed the small pick up coffee shop in the common area - excellent hot coffee and pastries opening at 6:30 am.

The staff is generally friendly and helpful, but again, a step down from the premier locations in the area. The grounds staff often raced around the property in golf carts at very high speeds, the attendee staff in the Spa seemed to more consumed with their cells phones and one another than the guests. This was not a big problem, but again took the property down a level.

Overall, this is a better than average Marriott property - the setting is beautiful but the property is showing its age.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank rbwinston1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2005

Last April, a business conference from my husband brought us back to the Camelback Inn and we couldn't have been more thrilled!!

The room that we stayed in back in 2002 was perfect and when we had made our reservations for the up coming trip we had requested the same room. Unfortunately when we arrived it was currently occupied, but the following day we were able to have our belongings moved it the room as it was being vacated. The rooms are spread out amongst the property so some walking is involved depending on where you're going.

The grounds are just beautiful and the catcus were in bloom during our visit. The spa is not to be missed!! I rented a cabana one day and boy was it worth it! The treatments and the facility are just wonderful and while my husband spend time in business meetings I was luxurating in the spa. The prices are a bit expensive, but given the location and the amenities provided, I thought it was worth every penny.

• Stayed April 2004, travelled on business
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2005

My husband and I loved our weekend at the Camelback Inn. Accomodations, service and facility were great. We asked for one of the newer rooms and were given a room near the spa. It was spacious (even the bathroom) and spotless and beautifully appointed.

I felt appreciated from beginning to end. I don't know if it made a difference that we were using points for our stay at Camelback but I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank AKTennisNut
Reno, NV
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2005

Arrived for a long weekend with my wife. We were both looking forward to the Camelback we had known in the past. While it still looks the same, the service seems to have vanished. We had booked a suite that was, in truth, a single room that was just a bit larger than normal. The hallway was very dark and dirty with empty room service trays lying about for several hours. The view from the room was a retaining wall on the spa parking lot. I called for a massage and was told that they were fully booked and that, as a hotel guest, I should "have known" to book at the time I made the reservation. They finally agreed to two 30 minute massages, but only after I balked.

The next morning we walked down for breakfast and were told that - guess what - we should have booked breakfast at the time we made our reservation. When I explained that wew ere hotel guests, the hostess merely turned and walked away. We abandoned trying to eat at the Camelback and went over the Gainey Ranch Hyatt where we were quite well taken care of.

Later that day, I called the Four Seasons and was quoted a rate that was only $25 more than what I was paying for an quite ordinary room and terrible service. Next time I'll go to the Four Seasons or the Hyatt.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Macsog6
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2005

We are about to leave this wonderful resort and I wish we had a couple more days to enjoy all the Camelback Inn has to offer. The setting is breathtaking, I doubt any of the newer resorts can rival the beauty that surrounds this resort. We found every aspect of our stay to be perfect. The service impeccable. The grounds fantastic and our room was wonderfully spacious, in perfect shape, although beds a little uncomfotable. Just can't say enough about this place. My favorite luxury resort in AZ.

• Stayed March 2005
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!