“Pleasant overnight stay by the lake”

Patagonia Lake State Park
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Patagonia
More attraction details
Owner description: This southern Arizona park is centered around Patagonia Lake, a beautiful desert lake known for its outdoor recreation.
Tucson, Arizona
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Pleasant overnight stay by the lake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We camped for 3 nights at Patagonia State Park. It was $25 a night, plus a $5 fee. We used one with water and electric hookups available, although we camped in a tent. It worked perfect for the fridge, heater, and lights.The site was shady and mostly flat, although we did have to move the table. The bathrooms with showers, were clean and close. You can reserve a spot online so look for bathroom accessibility. I fished from the shore and caught catfish. Others were not so lucky, but next time I would check to see when they stock the lake. Most of the campers were older couples but everyone was very friendly. We will definitely use this camp area again, but we scoped out better sites for next time. Lots of wildlife including squirrels, birds, and lizards. Bring bug spray if you want to sit around the fire.

1 Thank tab555

Ottawa, Canada
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Hike a Trail and look for Birds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Our group of 4 adults visited the park for half a day to look for birds and hike the trail that makes its way out past Nutting's Wash and the Mesquite Hillside. Parking is limited for day users near the trailhead and this trail is very popular with birders. We encountered a large group of people who had come just to bird this area. Several highly sought after bird species can be found in this park and draws birders from all over the world. That's why we were there too!
We found the toilet facilities near the trail head were clean.
The visitor center was staffed by friendly helpful people and we found a nice picnic area to enjoy the lunch we brought with us.
I loved exploring the trail. It took us through interesting woods, along a stream and offered surprises around every bend. We were warned to avoid the cattle. Not sure why there are cattle there but we kept our distance.
A few of the campers with nice big trailers had set up bird feeders at their site. Overall the experience was very positive.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Chickadeedee51
Buckeye, AZ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best kept secret and by far, the jewel of AZ State Parks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I'm hesitant to wrote this because I would hate for other Phoenix residents to discover this place. Many people from PHX tend to ruin a place when they overrun it with their loud music, bad behavior, and trash-dumping ways.
Great lake, location, well-maintained, nice people, and views. Hopefully, the closeness to the Mexican boarder will keep away the bad elements that I wrote about since they're also xenophobic.

1 Thank AC_in_AZ
toronto
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Take a closer look”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Get there early the parking is limited and the washroom lineups are horrendous and the washrooms are absolutely filthy.
Pretty area, lots of trees, picnic areas,scenic half moon bridge over the water, paddle boats, its a nice social area... but...
take a closer look at the water, it is quite polluted. Both times i went here, i saw baby feces being dumped into the lake not even 50 feet from where people were swimming. Plus on many occasions beer and other drinks dumped into lake, buckets off of boats (could it be pee, possibly). There were so many people in the water and so many nasty things being dumped into the water, and factor in that it is a small lake... I wouldn't let my dog touch that water let alone myself! If you want to go for a picnic its not bad, but i would stay far away from the water. It doesn't look very clean either..
There are not a lot of gas stations around so make sure you have a good tank of gas and lots of water in case you break down and it happens to be hot, which is quite often.
Hope this helps!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank SoleilVert
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Excellent getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

I regret not having been here in my 20 years of residence in AZ and if the Feds were not shut down, I would have probably never discovered this place. I had reservations to camp at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and because it was shut down I decided to try this park out. Was I pleasantly surprised.
The fee was a little steep, $17 a night with a $5 booking fee but you get what you pay for, really clean flush toilets and hot showers. Our camp site was steps the lake and If I had a boat, I could have moored it right next to the camp site. Most of the campers were families with little kids. It was nostalgic for us to see how doting those parents were to the kids. Ours are grown and spread out all over the country. What we enjoyed most was the trail alongside the lake. It ran all along and around the lake through some very lush vegetation.
The lake is in the same region as Soniota and Elgin, known as the wine country of AZ. The landscape and vegetation is not typical of the AZ known more its desert. In fact some of it is closer to the Sonoma type of landscape, rolling hills of grassland. Some people have build very beautiful homes on those rolling hills and the drive to and from the campsite is pretty scenic.
It is also very convenient being only about 10 minutes from Nogales. We did our grocery shopping there for our meals and if you do not want to cook, there are lots of restaurants in Nogales or Mexico which just a walk across from Nogales.
This is an excellent camp site. It is clean and well kept.

2 Thank John T