“Happy trails at the Circle Z Ranch”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Circle Z Ranch

Circle Z Ranch
Pacific Grove, California
“Happy trails at the Circle Z Ranch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

It's difficult to capture the essence of a unique place with words. Circle Z Ranch is not just a rare experience , it's a frame of mind.
Patagonia Arizona offers high desert scenery , wildlife , western history and serenity in abundance . Circle Z serves it up with rustic country grace. To behold it all from the back of a well trained horse is a point of view unmatched, all while immersed in the rhythmic paced ranch life.
On the trail moments of silence pass between you and other riders so full, its hard to contain. These will be revisited again and again long after the boots come off and you hang your hat.
Jock and Pamela Soper are delightful hosts. All the staff treat you like family. The dusty treasures at Circle Z are the seasoned Horsemen and Woman that serve as trail guides and ranch hands.You are sure to feel like you were born in the saddle in no time under their skilled care.
After the dust settles, BYOB to share in the Cantina by the fire and the stories of the day begin to flow. Maybe you will be the one to recount your trek up Z mountain with its panoramic views.
When Jock rings the dinner bell it can be heard from every corner of the ranch. Your hearty appetites will be satisfied with variety and goodness family style surrounded by western decor. Ranch chefs craft scrumptious meals like Veal Marsala, Pan Roasted Chicken, Crab Cakes and everyones favorite Mexican Fridays. Salads, soups, and tempting desserts, hearty breakfasts, and lunch at the ranch or on the trail aim to please every palate.
A soak in the tub and cuddling up with a good book in your cozy cottage ends a perfect day. Patagonia's distinct character begins to sink in. Wisps of delicious anticipation for the new day hover as you drift off to a quiet sleep.
When it's time to hit the trail towards home it will be with a smoldering desire to return again soon for another Arizona adventure at the Circle Z Ranch to be reunited with all your new two legged and four legged friends.
Happy Trails !

Room Tip: Rooms can be adjoined to accommodate large groups.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Debbie K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at the Circle Z ranch the week before Christmas and are still dreaming about it. Incredibly we were the only guests there and could not believe our luck to have this fantastic place with its amazing staff and 86 gorgeous horses to ourselves. The property is stunningly beautiful with just the right homely feel, the staff treat you like family and the riding is incredible. The food was fantastic as well. We are already planning to rebook. I think the only advice we can offer is just book now! We would not change a thing. This is truly a special place. I read in the guidebook that the current owner of the ranch bought it because she had so many fantastic vacations there as a child and it brought tears to my eyes as I could see in my children's faces they were having the same magical experience she obviously did decades ago. Thanks to all the fabulous staff at Circle Z. We hope to see you again next year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was our first trip to a ranch and Circle Z exceeded our expectations. The staff was over-the-top friendly and accommodating. The wranglers, led by Jennie and George, were patient and encouraging, especially with the novices. They understood our capabilities, but pushed us to better our horse riding skills. You could tell they treated the horses like family. The views on the numerous trails were breathtaking.

Overall, we loved the family-based feel of the place, from the smaller numbers of guests, to the cantina and dining room where families can mingle and enjoy delicious food. While we had a good amount of individual family time, we met a number of great families and our girls (ages 14 and 11) really clicked with the other children. We all had a great time together.

We wanted a more rustic dude ranch and not a large, resort-like setting. We would highly recommend Circle Z. High quality family time in a relaxed, intimate setting.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharon M
Princeton, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This ranch was amazing. Everything! Sadly my kids got the stomach bug and couldn't enjoy our trip. 5 star. You get to know people because first you have riding classes together and you have all meals together. There is a game room too and a bar and a pool and a huge field For kids to play with. Just amazing! Highly suggest.

Room Tip: Every room is awesome!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Guilford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Going to a guest ranch has been a dream of mine since I was a child. A chance in counter with a friend of ours who had been going to the Circle Z for ten years led me to decide to give myself a trip there as a birthday gift to myself. It did not disappoint. The horses are well mannered and willing. The trails are breathtaking. The food wonderful. I also became part of the wonderful coincidences that is the majec of the Circle Z. I plan on returning soon with as many of my family members as I can round up. YeeHaa!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Joan S
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was our third visit to Circle Z and I think it was the best! Staff and management alike are trying their best to make this a never-to-be-forgotten experience for guests both novice and experienced.

This is why it is the best guest ranch in Arizona:
(1) The selection of horses is outstanding whether you want to lope or just walk; under the supervision of George and Jennie they are well cared for and the wranglers are experienced and kind.
(2) The managers Pam and Jock bend over backwards to make life comfortable and fun.
(3) Socializing with other guests is faciltated by the Cantina where we gather for a drink (BYOB) and appetizers before dinner.
(4) Food is excellent and very very plentiful. Heather is doing a great job; so are the servers.
(5) Accommodations are comfortable and reflect the history of the early days of the ranch.
(6) The location is so convenient - remote let so close to a highway that there are interesting places to go if there is a rainy day.
(7) The trails are varied with favorites like the ride to Lake Patagonia, trailering the horses to the spectacular scenery of the Valley, the all-day ride to the mine and, when conditions permit, loping thrugh Sonoita Creek. I do wish they would re-include a ride to the Wagon Wheel Saloon in Patagonia - what fun!

Before he retired, horses were my husband's career. Now that we no longer own any, he thoroughly enjoys his trips to the ranch - that says a lot about Circle Z!! Before we left this time we booked two more trips.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I and a group of friends just spent some time at the Circle Z Ranch in Patagonia at the beginning of October. It my first time at the ranch and I wasn't disappointed in their rave reviews. Many of the guests had been coming with their families for years although for some reason there were not children (perhaps they were all in school).

It's an easy 1 to 11/2 hour drive from the Tucson Airport. We arrived in the late afternoon and found our rooms ready and waiting for us. They're ranch style and the furniture is that style so if want modern and deluxe this is not the place for you. If you want a large comfortable bedroom with a great bed, the largest closet I've ever had in a hotel room, plus a spotlessly clean room then this is your place. The weather was great so we didn't need either the air-conditioning or the heat so I have no experience as to their efficiency.

Meals are included so if you have particular needs then you need to spell them out before you arrive. I found the food to be quite good and you could have multiple servings. You're served family style so you get a chance to meet your fellow guests. Plus, there is a Cantina where you can socialize before meals (light appetizers are provided). The ranch is strictly BYOB but they provide mixers and storage in the Cantina for your liquor, wine, and beer.

The main reasons why people come is the riding. You're asked to fill out a form indicating your experience, height and weight. The horses are very well trained, sure footed and in great shape. The scenery is spectacular and each day you ride out on a different trail. I do want to caution people that this is trail riding with lots of rocks, up and down hill trails, and the pace is generally slow except for some limited loping (if you're experienced) - if you're lucky you'll get so see some of the wild life and maybe even get to "herd" a cow or two of the trail. The rides seem to run about 2-21/2 hours and you can choose to ride in the morning and/or afternoon. The saddles are western and they can provide boots, hats, etc. for those who need them. I would advise those who don't ride a lot that they might want to bring their own "seat saver" which is a lambswool or gel pad whose use is pretty self-explanatory. The ranch does have some but they don't provide as much cushioning as a less used one. The main building has lemonade, water and cookies for the guests after their ride. The rides are always led by one of the staff who knows the various trails. Guests are not allowed to take horses out on their own but I wouldn't want to do so because it would be easy to get lost and you would probably miss some great scenery.

They also have a weekly nature walk which we found to be fascinating and a weekly "stars" walks which we missed. There is also a pool and a tennis court which we didn't use (too tired and too much else to do).

I really enjoyed my stay at the Circle Z. I found the managers and staff to be very friendly, helpful and great at solving any problem which was presented to them. I was sad to be going home "so soon" but I always found that to be the sign of a great trip/visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patagonia
BEST WESTERN Sonora Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Nogales
Inn at San Ignacio
Inn at San Ignacio
#4 of 5 in Green Valley
Spirit Tree Inn Bed and Breakfast
The Duquesne House Inn & Gardens
Wyndham Green Valley Canoa Ranch Resort

Been to Circle Z Ranch? Share your experiences!