Circle Z Ranch
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Stage Stop Inn(Patagonia)
View Hotel
Santa Rita Lodge(Madera Canyon)
View Hotel
Inn at San Ignacio(Green Valley)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe cantinagreat ridingtrail ridingnose to tailriding experienceother guestsgreat guesthealthy horsesvaried terrainnature walkbon firewell trained horseschuck wagoneach guestwonderful vacationwhole weekbird watching
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had the pleasure of spending 4 days at this gem of a place!
The staff is very warm and welcoming. The food is perfection (thanks to Heather & her crew)- with guests' dietary needs given very special attention.
The mantra I heard over and over from the staff was "you're on vacation - we'll take care of you" and they did -- over and above.
The heart of this place is the herd tended by George and Jennie and their wranglers Michael, Raul and Kelly. George is careful in matching rider to horse. Safety of both rider and horse is central here. The horses are treated like horses. They live out in their pasture and come in for the day to do their work. It's thrilling to watch them thunder in for the day. Unlike other ranches - the horses get Sundays off. This makes for a happy horse. The rides are phenomenal. Two sessions of riding daily - each on a new trail with plenty of exquisite scenery, wildlife, birds, foliage.
Rooms are clean and very comfortable.
This is a great place for families, couples, friends, solo travelers. Even for those who don't ride there are plenty of places on the property to just chill and watch the birds. There's also a pool and tennis court. And the cantina where the adults gather before dinner for great appetizers and BYOB.
We've already booked our next stay!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Dency K
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My family and I have been visiting this extraordinary guest ranch for years. Located in the gorgeous mountains of Southern Arizona it boasts quiet, big skies, beautiful views, and peacefulness. Its main focus is horseback riding and the the riding is just exquisite. The wranglers are unbelievable, the trails and views breath-taking and the horses are great.
Pam and Jock, the ranch hosts are just wonderful: friendly, accommodating, insightful, nurturing. The food is great.
Circle Z is a special place. When I am heading back there I always am asking myself "What is it about Circle Z that is so special? Why am I going back? Again?" When I get there I know. Its hard to put into words.
Go there once and you'll go again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Devor M
Reviewed 30 April 2014

If you want to feel like a cowgirl in a John Wayne movie, this is the place for your girlfriend getaway! The horses and scenery are spectacular with expert wranglers leading the way through mountains, canyons, woods and rivers. You can indulge your well earned appetite in the delightfully tasty and abundant meals served by thoughtful staff. Participating in the morning coffee hour, evenings appetizers in the cantina and during meals are a pleasant, casual way to visit with the other guests. If you want to leave the ranch (don't know why) take an afternoon stroll in the nearby town of Patagonia and stay for an evening of karaoke at the local saloon. Hiking, bird watching or golf can also give your saddle sores a break if necessary. The Circle Z Ranch awaits to transport you into a enchanting and captivating western paradise.

Room Tip: We had two rooms with a shared bathroom in the middle. This allowed us to feel like we were in a big space but also let us shut the doors for night time privacy. This is a fine arrangement for families or girlfriends wanting to sprawl while still staying connected.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Circle Z Ranch in Patagonia has great horses, wonderful riding, lovely accommodations, delicious food, and terrific staff. That, by itself, would be enough to recommend it. But what is really the best part is that no matter who you are, you will have a wonderful time. The mix of people who was there the week I went ranged from retired couples to families with young children, and everyone there enjoyed the week. In less than three days, kids from all the different families were playing together before dinner on the front lawn, and adults were laughing together in the cantina. The place fosters togetherness among all the guests, not just the people you came with for your vacation. You can be in the saddle twice a day and see gorgeous county with extremely capable wranglers, or spend time at the ranch relaxing with a book. Great place for families or someone on his or her own. Really loved my stay.

Room Tip: I was in one of the cabins. Honestly, all the rooms seems quite nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Eileen N
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Spent a wonderful week at this fabulous guest ranch in Patagonia, AZ. It is quite a gem with over 6,000 acres and gorgeous views of the Circle Z Mountain and the Patagonia Mountains. As our first real riding experience, we have been spoiled. The absolute best part of this ranch is the riding and the Head Wranglers George and Jennie. Along with their son and long-time ranch-hands, they have worked with the herd of over 100 horses for more than 40 years and are expert at making sure each rider and horse are perfectly matched. I can't say enough about the riding experience - we never rode the same trail twice in a week of riding (2x daily) and by the second day my first-time riders were loping as if they'd been born on a horse. The horses are well loved and care for and their experience shows.

The Ranch is truly a throwback to a bygone era and the property is meticulously kept in pristine condition. Accommodations were very clean and comfortable - the claw-foot tub was a plus! I loved sitting under the mesquite grove reading a book each afternoon. The staff goes out of their way to make sure all guests have everything they need and their pride in their work shows. It is am impossible NOT to relax.

If there is one comment to be made that is less than stellar, it would be that the food was not what I was expecting. While the food was plentiful and good - none of the cuisine matched the geography. I kept hoping all week for true southwestern food, but sadly, it never happened. I hope that on a return visit, we might get a taste of regional fare.

If you are looking for a different adventure for your family, this is a great choice.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 rooms in the Casa Rosa - both rooms were quiet with comfortable furnishings and great claw-foot tubs in the bathrooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family