“Great fishing!”
Review of Parker Canyon Lake

Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Patagonia
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful lake has comfortable summer temperatures and is great for fishing and boating.
Reviewed 31 May 2013

My family and I went fishing here 3 times when we visited my daughter in Sierra Vista which is less then an hour away.
The first time we rented a boat and motored around the lake to find "the perfect fishing spot" according to my husband. He and the grandkids caught 3 fish between the, 1 trout, 1 sunfish, and 1 striped something or other. As you can tell I am not a fishing person. While they guys fished my two daughters and I leaned back and enjoyed the sunny day and watch the hawk go fishing.
The second time we found out that the boat rentals are only open Friday-Sumday (at least in April, I'm not sure if they have more hours in the summer). So husband, son-in-laws, daughter, and grandkids fished off the fishing pier. Since we thought we'd be renting a boat we were totally unprepared and didn't bring any chairs. This wasn't a problem for my dedicated fishermen! They made do with upturned buckets, coolers, and the deck..I say comfortably on a bench under the tree and watched a family of ducks. That day they came back with 4 trouts.
The last time we went we made sure it was a weekend and rented a boat. The fishermen, my husband, 2 son-in-laws, 2 grandkids and one daughter went off in the boat to find their perfect spot...my other daughter, girlfriend, and I spread out our lunch on one of the picnic tables under the shade for the store's front porch. It was great! My girlfriend and I babysat the dog, we had to keep her cool and hydrated, it was such a warm day. We snacked all day, even buying ice cream from the small store, and caught up on each others lives. My daughter decided to try and out do the dedicated fishermen and bought a rod and bait from the friendly man in the store so she could fish off the boat pier. The gentleman who ran the store and boat rental was so helpful that my daughter somehow persuaded him to go to the pier with her and bait her hook. She spent the day going back and forth from fishing on the pier to snacking on the picnic table. While she was snacking the man stayed down at the pier to fish for her.
This time the fishermen returned with a total of 17 trout. There are fishing limits of 6 trout per adult and 3 per child.
This is a great park for a nice day out with the family. It's clean and well maintained. Restrooms are primitive but ok. Plenty of parking and friendly people at the small tackle store.
I'm sure we will return next time we are the area.

5  Thank Portia123Hawaii
in 10 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 19 April 2013

Good weather (pretty normal). Nice hike around the lake. Marina was closed. Be fun to rent a boat or kayak some day

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Parker Canyon Lake [ www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coronado/recreation/fishing/recarea/?recid=25522&actid=42 ]is located within boundaries of the Coronado National Forest, in the Canelo Hills just east of the Huachuca Mountains, at an elevation of 5,400 feet. The paved drive between Sonoita, Arizona and the Lake is very scenic. We have camped out a couple of times during the spring, at the Lakeview campground [ www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coronado/recreation/fishing/recarea/?recid=25514&actid=42 ], located on a hill overlooking the Lake, among oaks and junipers. Each campsite has a picnic table and a grill for campfires, and there is a short walk to the lakeshore, and a short drive to the boat launch ramp, fishing pier and the store [ http://parkercanyonlake.com ], which also offers boat rentals and fishing licenses. Just note that the store is open only on the weekends, except during the summer, and the closest towns are Sonoita [30 miles] and Sierra Vista, through Fort Huachuca [28 miles]. But if you're there in the middle of the week, you can call the store and make arrangements for a boat rental, since the boat handler lives in the area. We like hiking and history, and really enjoyed visiting the nearby Sunnyside ghost town and its cemetery [ http://apcrp.org/SUNNYSIDE/4_Sunnyside_Cem_Mast_Text_022513.htm#_Toc349120179 ], located about 4 miles east from the Lake.

5  Thank Maria-Tucson
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Hiking around the lake is great in almost any season. Wouldn't want to be there during Mosoon or snow. The lake is a popular site for fishing, so we carry small trashbags with us to pick up trash that some anglers left behind. The trail is not totally flat, but not strenous either. A great hike.

4  Thank okrealtyinc