“Great Place to Really Get Away from it ALL”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Patagonia
Tree of Life Center US
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Patagonia
toronto
“Great Place to Really Get Away from it ALL”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Been here several times over the past years for fasting, and other programs. Fasting is about not just abstaining from food but all sorts of vices, including TV, Internet, McDonalds, etc. There is area that has WIFI, btw. It makes a HUGE impact to not have these in your environment especially when you are fasting, but even on a vacation. If a person really needs the tv, internet and McDonalds, etc. then they can usually just stay home and take a week off work. Not the same thing at all by coming here. Some things are real subtle but something inside you just slows down, and relaxes.

Regarding previous comments about 'hippies': Anyone is free to judge anyone else, and yes the media and our culture thrives on phhhhh but that is such a negative place to live in really. There may or not be a hippie there, but guess what? I heard a rumour that they are not dangerous! The only thing infective is their laughter.. Plus someone told me that they actually are human beings too just expressing themselves in their own way, living their own life. Oh, wait a minute, just like the rest of us 'normal' humans.. Come on people, get out of the hate and judgement mode and grow up. Enjoy life and each other!

Great Spa! Front desk staff is good! Food programs are also excellent - learn a fascinating and ultra-creative way to prepare foods. Scenery is amazing, sunsets are out of this world. Fascinating wild life - great for photos. Great hiking. They have weekly 'parties' on Friday, singing and dancing, no one feels left out and you actually remember what it is like to be a human being again, - without the technology (ie. you learn how to communicate face to face with people again and hang out with them instead of your computer).

Room Tip: Garden House is really nice has kitchen, laundry, liv room, etc. Or the private casitas with ensuit...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
10 Thank SoleilVert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sioux Falls
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I was really excited to go to Dr. Cousens resort but left disheartened. Found the "resort" to be cold and not a nice property for the price you pay. When you get there they push more services to buy which you end up spending so much you could have traveled the world. I don'tt think the juicing was for me and I think that is something they should have respected and recognized in the doctor visit. I was miserable emotionally and physically and I am a very active person so was disgusted laying around and getting colonics because didn't know you had to do your own enema until you get there! They wouldn't let me switch from the juicing to the vegan live food! I was expecting a beautiful layout of this property but it was a run down isolation camp and the employees/volunteers do not live in a nice dorm building! The raw food was good for the few days I had it. I spent way too much money here to try to feel good and be happy considering how miserable I was and would have rather gone to a nice rejuvenation center. Dr. Cousens also says one thing one day and the next day he has a different theory and keeps changing and is too strict with some things. Eat healthy be healthy. This cleanse ruined me for the worse and what a gloomy depressing resort to be at when doing something like this.

Room Tip: the orchid house is nicer than the adobe rooms
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
42 Thank BravoBella
palm beach grdns
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I just completed the diabetes program with the juice fast, for 7 days , for me was very strong but it works, I return home with more energy I learned a lot with with the raw live vegan foods. The staff is always happy and I always get respond to any question. The spa very professionals
The manager Johsua always there doing the best, helping the group to have a good stay. He is the best. The ladies at the front desk, too. usually you don't get answer for you phone calls because I think they are really busy. I stay in the Orchard house, wich I think was very good choice . The food fantastic, every day vegan living food. The most important thing for me was that I came back with less numbers in my daily sugar check ups. I will continue in touch with them for the next months to see how I doing with the sugar levels. If someone need more information about it please write to me . madreselva1@att.net
I planing to come back as soon I can.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
15 Thank madreselva d
Joshua S, Manager at Tree of Life Center US, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Hi M!

Thanks for the great review! It was such a joy having you for Dr. Cousens' Diabetes Recovery Program. We're so glad you were successful in reversing your condition! Please continue to check in throughout your year of support. We want to hear all about your continued progress.

Best to you and your's!

Joshua
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

I just completed the Spiritual Fasting Program and I would highly recommend it to first-time fasters. It's a structured juice fast that lasts 7 days. When the group broke the fast we ate only what they served at the cafe which is 100% raw live vegan foods and they portioned it out for so we didnt inadvertently overeat.

Each day I was there i got to attend up to 3 meditation sessions a day, one Kali tree yoga session a day, plus various spiritual ceremonies like a sweat lodge. Everything but the morning check-in meetings were optional.

The staff was very attentive and were quick to respond to any needs that arose. I didnt have a car with me so I got a lot of walking in. It's about 1/2 mile from the Oasis (registration and spa area) up to the cafe and casitas (lodging). The walk is uphill to the cafe so, if you think that might hinder you, I'd suggest bringing/renting a car.

The rooms in the casitas are double occupancy-two single beds, and they have a decent sized closet. Very simple. No tvs, no radios, no clocks. There are four single bathrooms that are shared amongst the folks staying at the casitas so coordinating shower times can be tricky - it's best to get up early (6am) and shower then.

The last thing ill mention is the spa--it's wonderful. I had three treatments there but my favorite was the crystal glow treatment. There's more info about that on the website but everyone shod treat themselves to I e of those; be sure to ask for Kim. She's a truly talented masseuse.

• Stayed October 2012
10 Thank jzamostny
Hi JZ,

It was great to have you with us for the Spiritual Fast. The Spiritual Fast is such a special program, and there's no substitute for participating in a fast with Dr. Cousens' and Shanti's guidance. We do hope you'll join us for another Spiritual Fast, a Detox, or a Holistic Vegan Vacation in the near future.

Best of luck!

Joshua
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

If you are looking for a "retreat" and you are not a hippie straight from the 70's this may not be the place for you. It is very simple, no luxury. If you are going into the casitas which are the most economical (nearly $13,000 for a full program) be prepared to not only share bathrooms but walk outside to get to them. It's a step up from camping. Let me tell you, it is dark in the middle of the night in the desert. The food is amazing and the spa practitioners are wonderful. The surrounding environment is stunning. They do help many people heal which is more important than anything material, but there are things they could do to make it more comfortable and enjoyable, especially for what they charge.

• Stayed April 2012
36 Thank Shana K
palo alto
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Okay so I've wanted to go there like 20 years, I'm glad I waited because the Casitas have been renovated, very simple but sweet. Tile floors clean actually amazing cleaning staff wanted to bring Mary and her sister back. Okay the culinary Angels to prepare the food are absolutely amazing, most are sweet and helpful and the food is pretty over the top, also garden staff are great/they pick the veggies and you eat them about two or three hours later talk about fresh :-) amazing landscapes and scenery.
Caution they use salt which I do not use and don't recommend that someone's detoxing and sometimes the weather can be funky so prepare for hot cold rain etc. :-) also do not think I would recommend staying anywhere except Casitas. Also take comfy walking shoes. Can be pricey depending upon which program, and if you have abundance challenges maybe consider optimum health San Diego........ also much better than Hippocrates Palm Beach in terms of food, scenery venue campus etc. specially classes :-)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
14 Thank travelslotsPaloAlto
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I am glad to choose Tree of life. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Especially the staff in the kitchen. they work tirelessly but always have a smile on their faces. I have been here for the spiritual fasting, zero point and conscious eating 1 program for 3 weeks. This has been a life changing experience for me. especially the zero point program which helped me to eliminate the unwanted thought forms so i can focus my energy towards positive goals. we all come with some emotional baggage due to our past experiences. zero point helped me to remove the pain that i was holding on to. now my outlook towards life has changed so much. I am more happy and peaceful inside. and external events don't effect me as they used to before.

The accommodation was decent. and they clean the rooms everyday. I like the fact that there were no distractions like TV/ phone or internet in the room, which makes us to come out and meet other people. or spend time to revisit our inner selves. I loved the view i was surrounded with. the mountains, the sunset it was beautiful. I definitely felt very spiritually connected to this place.

Tip - make sure to close your room door at all times, i opened it for a few hours and in the night i saw some bugs come in. If you keep your door closed you should be good.

I hope this review helps others.

Regards,
Nimisha

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
15 Thank Nimishareddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patagonia
Best Western Sonora Inn & Suites
Inn at San Ignacio
Inn at San Ignacio
#4 of 5 in Green Valley
Holiday Inn Express Nogales
Spirit Tree Inn Bed and Breakfast
Wyndham Green Valley Canoa Ranch Resort
Tubac Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Tree of Life Center US? Share your experiences!