“Small but very nice Casino”

Mazatzal Hotel & Casino
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Payson
Sahuarita, Arizona
“Small but very nice Casino”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

This review is only of the casino....Very nice casino with an unusually quite atmosphere. The quiteness was probably due to the fact we were there on a Tuesday afternoon. Appears to be a clean and well run casino with mostly retirees as their guests. A good place to relax if in you're the neighborhood and inclined to play the slots or bingo for a while. A few table games in the back room....not much action when we were there. A pleasant place.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank azjohnny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Surprise, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

This is a great, convenient hotel in Pason, Az. All the rooms are suites. The rooms are inviting, the beds comfortable and towels are large and soft. The property is well maintained. You should call ahead for reservations and ask for the "Stay and Play", which includes $20.00 in casino money and a $15.00 breakfast. This rate is cheaper than the on-line reservations. There is no requirement to use the casino (other than to use the $20.00 free play).

Room Tip: The room rate is a little more than other motels, but with the "stay and play" they are c...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Raymond S
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stopping in to try our luck at the Mazatzal Casino is always fun part of our visits to Payson. This time we decided to stay overnight and were so glad that we did. The accomodations are spacious and include a sitting area with a TV, a coffee bar with a sink and refrigerator, and a separate room with comfortable king-sized bed, TV and free WiFi. Lovely decor, friendly service and lots of options made our stay a real treat.

Room Tip: Ask about the Stay and Play package if you have a players club card...it will get you the room, $15...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank magster2
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

This restaurant is inside the casino and probably not the main reason most people would choose to visit, but we felt it was unnoticed and wanted to say something about it.
It was well past the dinner hour on a recent Sunday evening, but we were in Payson, hungry, and wanted something different than the usual fare.
The Mazatazl Casino is located south of town on Hwy. 87 and not easily missed when coming from the south, due to it's bright lighting. We did not stay at the hotel so this review is about the restaurant only.
The casino is large, noisy, and smoky. These are the most usual reasons we stay away from eating in casinos, and my eyes burned as we walked through the gaming area to find this eatery. I was glad to see the sign indicating no pipes or cigars, but even this was still was not enough.
Therefore, it was a delightful surprise find the Cedar Ridge Restaurant in the back near the exits. The restaurant is large, tastefully decorated, and quiet. The smoke from the casino was NOT present, so we decided to stay. The wait staff is attentive and kind and the area is restful. I ordered the unlimited trips through the salad room and my dining partner had a steak sandwich. (Be sure to order this item 'medium' if you want it medium rare). I would have sent it back, but it didn't bother him overly much. The food was served promptly and what was supposed to be hot was. My salad dinner was good,; a a choice a dinner breads would have been nice. They offer a nice variety of salads, both the green vegetable types and fruit, pasta, and potato, as well and several other items. This evening, the two soup choices were chicken noodle and cream of mushroom. The attendant assured me that they were both homemade right on the premises. The mushroom was good, but it was not kept warm enough and was nearly cold when I got it back to the table. The chicken noodle was homemade with lots of veggies and curly noodles, but it was much too salty for my taste. I did enjoy the fruit ambrosia and the fresh spinach. A full bar is available, as is Keno runner service, if one wishes to play. We ate quickly, as we still had a drive ahead of us, and without drinks the meal was under $20.
There were no children present as they are not allowed in the casino.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Violette54
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We decided to come up for a weekend as a late Valentines celebration . I had recently injured my knee and am not very ambulatory at the present time so we requested room 107 which is next door to the pool and jacuzzi and across the hall from the casino which made everything close for me . They had told me there was no guarantee we would get it but they would request it . We got there early and when we arrived they let me know they were able to get me the room that we requested . I was overjoyed. The rooms are very nice and spacious with the living area then bedroom . We were not disappointed with the price either is a very good deal with how nice the rooms are . We ordered room service for breakfast and were very surprised how good the food was and how large the portion was. We will definately return again next time we are in the area . The only thing that I would change is the comfort of the beds we always travel with an egg crate but the beds are somewhat on the hard side .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wontstoptillidrop
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We loved our room and we had a had a great time in the casino. We stayed in one of the patio king suites, room 309, and our only complaint about the room is that there was a total lack of privacy on the deck. Lucky for us, there was no one using the other decks next to us because the design was so poor that if the blinds were open they could actually see into our living room and vice versa. It was a really stupid design and I was also concerned about security since someone from the adjacent room could easily go over the rail and onto your deck. This is a casino where people have CASH on hand and the last thing you want to worry about is security. If you look at my pictures you’ll see what I’m talking about.

This isn’t Vegas, it’s a small town in no-where Arizona so we were thrilled to have a clean well appointed room and a fun casino to play in. There was a food court, a good sit down restaurant, plenty of gaming machines, a card room, and a nice gift shop, what more could you expect in Payson? Don’t let some of the so-so and bad reviews scare you away, we loved it and would definitely go out of our way to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BrunoKnowsBest
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

This was our 2nd time staying in the hotel. After the 1st trip we said we'd never go back but my Mother-in-Law wanted to go there for her birthday, so we did. The first time we were there we were playing black jack and there were a group of younger men (that were not with us) playing at the same table. I guess they were going up to their rooms to mix drinks then bringing them back down. Security told us if they caught them doing it again we'd all be kicked out. We told the security guard we didn't even know them and we'd just met them that day at the table. He said we were being watched now and we'd better be careful. The next trip we were playing slots and I had won $100.00 (after spending a lot more then $100.00 for that weekend) and was excited and my husband came over to the machine and was saying that's great and he was excited too. Security came over and told him if they had to tell him to be quiet again they would kick him out. After that my husband went to play in the poker room and the security guard kept walking behind my sister-in-law and I and would stand there watching us. It felt like they wanted the over 60 crowd to come in, spend their social security money and leave. We will not go back to this casino ever again!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends