“Knotty Pine is now Pinon Cafe”
Review of knotty pine cafe - CLOSED

knotty pine cafe
Cuisines: American
Description: http://www.yelp.com/biz/knotty-pine-cafe-payson
Description: http://www.yelp.com/biz/knotty-pine-cafe-payson
Payson, Arizona
“Knotty Pine is now Pinon Cafe”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This cafe has changed hands. New owners are part of a long-standing Payson restaurant family so we expect good things! Have already been in three times under the new ownership, and food has been great, and wait staff very friendly.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Dee F

Phoenix, Arizona
“Sooo eager to please”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stopped in on a snowy Sunday morning w/ the wife, our sons, and her parents for breakfast. I'd been here several times over the years, but apparently, neither my wife nor her parents had ever been. When we walked in, I took notice of the open faced chili burger on the special board (it was good. Not great but good), and the rest ordered breakfast, more or less. The boys had pancakes (light, fluffy, and delicious), eggs (cooked as ordered), and sausage (nice size, flavorful link), and her dad had some other normal breakfast stuff. The ladies however, asked our server (who was great) if the kitchen could scratch their itch for some Fried Tomatoes, and she went to see.. She came back with a big smile and a hearty Yes. They were thrilled (the ladies, not the tomatoes) and ate almost everything brought out on their plates. I think they didn't finish simply because of the portion sizes, there was plenty.. Service was great, portions were right, and the food (as always) was delicious. Don't forget the pies too (Good as or better than Rock Springs on I-17), I had the Banana Cream and it was a perfect end to a Chili Melt breakfast on a cold, Sunday morning.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank daniel s
“Soooo good”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Went on a Monday morning and there was about half a dozen other people in there, so no wait. Waitress got my drink immediately and they must have had a fortune teller that day, because I ordered the chicken fried steak with eggs and I had my whole meal in less than 3 minutes. It was way more food than I thought, and maybe it is because I never order chicken fried steak, but it was delicious. Very satisfied.

Las Vegas, Nevada
“Nice diner, but would try a different one next time”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stopped here on our way through Payson based on a recommendation. The food was ok, service was very nice, and atmosphere was as expected in a diner. Everything was absolutely fine - nothing exception, but nothing wrong. It wasn't the hole in the wall gem we were hoping for, so we'll try another place next time we drive through.

Visited October 2013
Phoenix AZ
“Been there, done that, movin' on”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We have traveled through Payson for years, but never took the time to stop at this local café. I had heard it featured on local media in Phoenix over the years, so we were expecting more than we found. We stopped in on a Monday at lunch time, but they weren’t very busy. Even so, the service was slow. The interior appearance was “old style,” but not particularly quaint or folksy, just lots of knotty pine paneling. My husband ordered the special: a bacon cheeseburger with onion rings. The burger was a generous size and he said it tasted good, but that the onion rings were limp. I had the hot roast beef sandwich with fries. It, too, was a generous portion, but typical diner fare. A signboard listing their “Famous Knotty Pine Café Pies” listed one of my favorites: strawberry rhubarb, so I was looking forward to desert. But, it was erased off of the board before I had a chance to order. I heard a waitress tell someone else that, “the pie man doesn’t come in on Mondays and Tuesdays,” so the “famous” pies aren’t made on the premises. I settled for cherry and my husband had blueberry. They were just “OK,” nothing exceptional. They really didn’t even seem homemade; more like something from a grocery store. Our total bill came to about $25 for the 2 entrees, 2 iced teas and 2 pieces of pie. Now that we have finally been there, I don’t feel the need to go again.

• Visited September 2013