“Where do we start?”

Zane Grey Country Barbecue at Kohl's Ranch Lodge
Ranked #17 of 76 Restaurants in Payson
Cuisines: Barbecue, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Zane Grey Country BBQ is located inside Kohl's Ranch Lodge, near Tonto Creek in the largest Ponderosa Pine Forest in the world. Our menu is simple, authentic smoked "Barbecue & Great House Made Pizza."
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Where do we start? The dinning room was closed so our “romantic birthday” dinner was in the bar. It took 5+ minutes to place our drink orders with only 17 people in the room and the server wanted our dinner order at the same time. We were not ready to order then so it took another 15 minutes to try place our order. Finally we got the attention of another server to take the dinner order for us with our waitress nowhere in sight. For the next 40 minutes we waited and waited then the waitress cam out to tell us one of the cooks had called off work and it would take just a bit longer. At this point only 10 people where in the bar and they all had their food. I ordered the BBQ brisket and my wife ordered the BBQ pizza. The brisket was basically pot roast with a drizzle of BBQ sauce and the beans tasted like a can. The pizza tasted like a frozen pizza from the local grocery store. What a waist of time and money. The only reason I am giving this a single star is they gave us 10% off the bill and the other waiter felt bad for us. Never again shall we stop at this place.

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

The family dropped in for lunch and decided to share the cheese pizza. The crust was so good, and it was so cheesy that we ordered a second one! The draft beer is great here too. They have beer from THAT BREWERY on tap. Yum!

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Had dinner here while staying at the lodge, it's kinda dark but the food and service was very good, our waitress Rhea was great ,they have a good menu to choose from, they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, I just got a burger wasn't very hungry and my husband had a patty melt, it was very good the burgers were so large I couldnt finish it and brought it home with us. Just off of the main dinning room there's a lounge and they are open all day long and you can order food from there as well, if you stay or even if your driving through you can stop in and have a nice bit to eat.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

We had the BBQ chicken and BBQ pork dinners. The food was excellent and the portions were large. I thought the prices were a bit high , but, that could have normal for the area. I'm from Ohio and prices tend to be much lower for the same meal. Including dessert and tip it was $75 for two. The bar service was good and friendly. There was one server ( the older lady ) who was not very friendly. But, the others were great. I would eat here again.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

Convenient, but not very original. Manager is dedicated and responsive. While the food was not unique, the portions were adequate and the service was very good.