Kohl's Ranch Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewstonto creekhorseback ridingstudio roombocce ballputting greendiamond resorthot tubget awayfull kitchenonsite restaurantoutdoor gamesmini golfsmall kitchenettefish hatcheryelectric fireplacerim countryking bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I called the main phone number to make reservations, where I spoke to a very nice woman named Amanda. I told her I was looking for one of the cabins, but she was unable to see whether cabins were available. She transferred me to the front desk at the Kohl's Ranch Lodge, where I spoke to a man (I don't remember his name; date was 11/26/2013 at almost 3 PM), who questioned me on WHY I was calling him. When I explained that reservations sent me to him, he told me they shouldn't have done that. He continued to bash the reservations department when I tried to redirect the conversation back to whether or not he could help me get a room. I wasn't sure exactly what to say, because I rarely hear people from an organization speaking like that about each other. He refused to help me and sent me BACK to reservations, where I finally got through again, only to have them say there are no cabins available. I don't care about getting transferred once or twice, but I couldn't believe how unprofessional this guy was. I travel alot, but this is absolutely the FIRST time I have a comment to post.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Caitlin82
diamondresorts, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for bringing this matter to our attention. The telephone skills and customer service abilities of our reservationists and front desk team members play a vital role in forming positive perceptions of our resort and company amongst potential guest as well as reinforcing the resorts’ high standards of quality. We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent experience and terribly regret how unsatisfactory the experience was for you. We would be thrilled to have you stay with us as our valued guest and hope that you will consider us again the future.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

It was our Granddaughters birthday. My son took her to Kohl's to experience a special time.
The room was wonderful, the creek right on the property is prefect for kids fishing and following the stream for a hike and exploring.. Great horse stable is so friendly and great for kids. There are games and swings, horse shoes, etc. The Hotel provided projects to keep a child happy including smores by the fire pit in the evening.
They even surprised our granddaughter with a plate of cookies brought right to her door.
The cobb salad is awesome.
Do not miss out on this charming place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the creek. you will have a wonderful deck to relax and enjoy the water and trees.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mary T
diamondresorts, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it is important to us to deliver great vacation memories to our guests and we are pleased to read you were not disappointed! We are looking forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We got a free week from our Time Share, Shell Vacations, and went through Interval International to book this Diamond Resorts stay. The Rim Country is gorgeous, national forests and Tonto Creek make this a nature lover's paradise. Picking the right accommodation is tricky. They have rooms in the lodge and cabins nearby. The lodge room we had, a studio efficiency, was a nicely Western decorated hotel room with a small bath. We tried to cook and eat there, but the fridge and table are small and the only sink is the bathroom sink, so it's tough to do. Halfway through our week, we asked about upgrading our accommodations and the desk staff was very helpful in this. For just $50, we got a cabin with a full kitchen for the rest of the week. It was deluxe, nicely furnished and decorated with a jacuzzi bath too. The fireplace was gas behind glass, not rustic like the overall Kohl's Lodge experience, but easy to "light" with the flip of a switch. I was told insurance considerations will not allow wood burning fireplaces in guest units; there is a fabulous one in the lobby. Our one complaint was the wi-fi internet was very spotty, on sometimes, off sometimes, no telling when. They told us they were going to upgrade to a different provider next month; check on it if it's important to you. The grounds are beautiful, the pool would be fun in hot weather and Tonto Creek is right out your back door, gurgling along beautifully. Go across the highway and up the road a few miles to see the fish hatchery where they raise trout; it was fun and again beautiful scenery. I bet the horseback riding is fun; we saw the stables and horses but didn't want to try it ourselves. We like the place very much and want to bring our grandchildren in the summer to swim and fish and enjoy the forest.

Room Tip: Talk to the lodge staff as you book to get what you want.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grandpa777
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Spent just a night in the Lodge at Kohl's Ranch

Feel sorry for the Front Desk who were very nice and friendly. The problem is the rooms. They are very small and old.

Electric Heater on the wall. Old Bath Fixtures in a bathroom that is extremely small. Now I'm about average size and did not fit well.

Had dinner at Zane Greys Steakhouse - nothing to write home about.

All you can eat fish was pretty good on the first helping but the second tasted fishy. Wife's Rib's had good flavor but they did not remove the membrane before cooking.

Don't order a draft beer as they must not serve much - my Bud Light was definitely "skanky"

After seeing all the commercials about Diamond Resorts - this property is not an impressive one. There are definitely much nicer places in the area for less money.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

It is with deep regret to read that your stay here at Kohl’s Ranch Lodge did not meet your expectations. We always strive to deliver exceptional hospitality and offer good quality accommodation to each guest that stays with us, and it is very concerning to us that we did not meet these expectations. Since Diamond Resorts took over Resort Management, we have made significant strides in refurbishing many of our guest rooms and our reception area. We do realize that some of our rooms are still need to undergo refurbishment. Beginning early next year, we are beginning the first phase lodge refurbishments in our Studios. Other projects (not a complete list) include replacing the loft furniture, living room furniture, bedroom furniture, carpeting, drapes and blinds. Thank you for providing feedback about our restaurant. We will make sure to pass this along to our Restaurant manager, as we know accepting constructive criticism is important to ensure the quality of our product. If you are willing to give us another chance, we are extremely confident that your next stay will be much more enjoyable and even exceed your expectations. Your business with us is sincerely appreciated and we wish you the best on all your future travels.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

This is a timeshare and I am an owner but had never been to Kohl's Ranch before. I loved this location. My unit was #502, a one bedroom attached to the Horton House. Absolutely loved it. It was perfect size for one or a couple. The back deck was along the Tonto creek and you could hear it babbling. The leaves were turning for fall so it was beautiful. Plenty of seating on the deck and a grill at the bottom of the few steps. It was quiet and the decor of the unit was really nice. I will return and will request this same unit again. The location is 17 miles from the town of Payson, AZ. Take food/drinks if you want to fix anything in the kitchen and there are grocery stores in Payson in addition to restuarants. The Zane Grey restuarant and bar were only open in the evening while I was there.

Room Tip: I believe as others mentioned, the rooms along the creekside are in the 500 and 200 series.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Sandra R
diamondresorts, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Thank you for your sharing your thoughts about your stay here at Kohl’s Ranch Lodge. We were very glad to hear that our accommodations exceeded your expectations. The tips you provided for the surrounding area as well as for our resort are very much appreciated. Please make sure to contact us before your next reservation arrival date, and we will try to do everything we can to assign you the same unit. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon!