“Anniversary Weekend”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Payson
Queen Creek, Arizona, United States
“Anniversary Weekend”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to go on a little getaway for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We stayed in a 1 bedroom cabin overlooking the creek. It had a full kitchen, bath, fireplace and a whirlpool tub on the deck. It was beautiful and so relaxing. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed listening to the creek with the breeze coming in. At night we enjoyed the fireplace. When we checked in they gave us goodies and a card and wished us a happy anniversary. We went hiking and hopefully next time we will try horseback riding. It was a great and memorable anniversary.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alicia S
diamondresorts, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about you and your husband’s recent stay here at Kohl’s Ranch Lodge. We were quite honored to hear that you both choose our resort to spend your 1 year wedding anniversary. It was with great delight that we also read that you had a great and memorable time. We look forward to seeing you both in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
SoCal
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is a Diamond Resorts Property that we traded our timeshare for. We stayed in a 2-Bed, 2-Bath cabin. It had a spacious kitchen, was clean with a living/dinning room area as you entered. There is a stream running behind the cabins with a wonderful little green area with BBQ's. It sits amid the forest and is 17 miles from the town of Payson. It is a peaceful setting. The staff is highly responsive to any issues. There is no AT&T phone reception here. The internet connection was not good. They were changing providers to clear up the issue. Even with the update, there were times that we could only get reception in the bedroom.
We enjoyed the property but would stay in the Pinetop area next time we go to the RIm Country.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Diamond R, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay here at Kohl’s Ranch Lodge. We were glad to hear that our accommodations, location, and customer exceeded your expectations and contributed to your positive stay. Our location is a huge draw for many of our guests. While it is in a very peaceful, quiet location; one of the drawbacks is that cell phone reception and Wi-Fi signals are not the best. As you stated, we have made steps to try in resolve this issue with a change in providers. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We hope that you will consider us again the next time you are visiting the area.
Yucaipa, California
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was an interesting hotel experience for me. About a month ago I tried to call to book a hotel stay for me and my family, but the lady was quite rude on the phone. The website was not working, and I was frustrated. She insisted the website worked and I could book my stay on the site. I asked her if I could book with her and she said that they only do website bookings. I ended up finding it on Expedia, so I booked it through them. The pictures and reviews on trip advisor looked to cool to pass up. I got an additional 20 percent discount. through Expedia anyway. She was the only rude person we with there. Everyone else was super nice and treated us like royalty. We didn't pay that much, so I wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised when we got there.

First off, the ranch is located about 20 miles away from Payson. Even the small lodge rooms come equipped with a mini kitchen, so you can get groceries on the way and spend all your time at this enchanting place.

Don't expect a hotel type place, this is more of a condo situation. There was no housekeeping services. You have to go up to the front desk to get shampoo, towels, etc. This was never advertised. The lodge rooms are pretty tiny, but it is nice being by all the activities. The cabins are located on the exterior of the property. My in laws stayed in a cabin. The lady on the phone said all the one bedroom cabins come with private jacuzzis. Well the one my in laws stayed in did not have one. They were also located on the other side of the creek, and you had to drive back an forth to the lodge for stuff. That was a little annoying. It would be super easy for them to put a little bridge across the creek, but they don't have one, so you have to drive to those particular cabins. They should do that. If the website happens to be working, book through them, so you know what you are getting.

A couple more concerns: didn't like the resort fee (10 bucks a night), just charge everything up front please, and the bed was super hard. It felt like I was sleeping on the floor. Also are keys didn't consistently work. You had to stick the key in just the right way or it would not read it. I had to put it in like 30 times one time. I even changed out keys and had the same problem.

As you noticed I gave this place a higher rating despite some issues I had. There are so many cool things about this place, that you just won't get at a typical run of the mill hotel. They had unlimited free DVD rentals, beautiful pool and spa right outside our room, bocce ball, tennis, horseshoes, playground, putting green, volleyball, hiking, treasure hunt, scavenger hunt, smores, free popcorn, horseback riding, workout room, library, fun cruise ship like actvities, and more. I would definitely stay here again if it were the right price. It was just too fun and unique. I think if they could just work on some of the issues I mentioned above this place would be too awesome. By the way, the kitchen even had a dishwasher, so you didn't have to do dishes by hand. WOW! Overall, loved the place.

Room Tip: Make sure you book through them or you are not guaranteed what you will get. If you are in the lodg...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Vecchio7
Tempe
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Love this little place. My boyfriend and I found this place through a Groupon deal and we instantly fell in love. The staff was friendly and helpful. I don't think I have ever use the front desk so often in my life.

This place is definitely family friendly but also great for couples too. We were afraid that we would get bored in Payson but with so many activities to do at the lodge we lost track of time. My boyfriend enjoyed the mini gold course the most and I loved the swimming pool/hot tub the most.
They have tons of movies you can rent out raging from kids to adults. We took advantage of that and stayed in our room while watching movies endlessly.
They have grills stationed through out the lodge which was perfect. The mini kitchen inside our room was very convenient.

We really enjoyed our stay at Kohl's Ranch Lodge that we're planning to come again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanessa L
diamondresorts, Manager at Kohl's Ranch Lodge, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thank you for sharing you and your boyfriend’s experience here at Kohl’s Ranch Lodge. We were delighted to see that you took advantage of a rental deal via Groupon, and that our activities, accommodations, and customer service exceeded you and your boyfriend’s expectations. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We can’t wait to see and your boyfriend/family again soon!
South Texas
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I will just add some to the previous reviewer. The lodge is about 18 miles north east of payson. Staff are friendly and accomodating. As the restaurant and pub are only open on fri-sund and its pretty isolated, i suggest you stop and either the safeway or basha grocery store and pickup some items for sandwiches/snacks. The mini fridges are big enough for a half gallon of milk and some other small items but not much else.

There are two types of rooms in the main lodge. The ones that have king beds also have full kitchens with stoves. Every other room in the main lodge has two double beds and just basic kitchen appliances (toaster and microwave) and utensils.

The cabins are slightly larger and really intended for 4 people and have hot-tubs for each.

Regarding cell and internet access - Due to the mountainous terrain, and the lodge location cell service is avail but very low signal strength.. Internet access is available but not what i would call reliable. Plus, the encryption used on the wireless APs is wep which is no longer considered acceptable for any use really as it has been broken for about 10 years. So i would keep your internet use to content that does not use creditcard numbers or bank credentials.

The other thing i would add if you plan using the equestrian facilities is to time your visit between march2 and nov31 as the stsbles are closed other times of the year.

One of highlites is sedona about 90miles north of payson. EXCELLENT views and good walking access to many jewelery and mineral stores.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JimmyBtx
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

A great couple of nights in October - room 102 - Studio.

The room had everything you require including a comfy king bed, full oven/hob, microwave and fridge - although the fridge was a little small.

There was also a patio outside with seats looking towards the river.

Rooms also have Internet connection, which we didn't expect.

We ate at the restaurant on our first evening - this was great.

The grounds are also lovely and have a pool, children's playground, as well as many other facilities - however, we did not get chance to use them as we were out and about enjoying the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chandler, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I wanted to get a away for a quick spur of the moment, weekend without the kids and stayed at Kohl's ranch for the 1st time.

My boyfriend made the reservation by calling Diamond, on Friday morning, for a same night reservation. We requested a 1-BR with the hot tub. The representative at Diamond was unsure that it would be possible so she called the resort and assured us that they said we would have one of those rooms. When we arrived the desk clerk, said that there were not any of those room types available, and he did not know why we had been told that. There was a note in our reservation that we wanted one. That was a little frustrating. We were there and pretty set on having a hot tub on the patio, so we upgraded to a 2-BR cabin facing the creek. The management there was nice enough to "split the cost difference" with us, so we did not have to pay the full price for the cabin, but I was only planning on budgeting for the 1BR price, we ended up paying $70 more a night. Again, frustrating. Other people checking in were having similar problems with the description of "hot tubs" in the rooms. It seems that depending on the room and location, your "hot tub" may be just what you'd think, or it may be one with room only for two OR is actually a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. So make sure to talk to someone at the hotel when you make your reservation so you can get the room type you really want.

All of our interactions with the front desk staff were pleasant. We called asking for where we could find some ice and it was delivered to our cabin, we borrowed movies and got extra towels... everyone was very friendly.

Luckily... the cabin was so cute the confusion with the reservation soon slipped our minds. We were able to stretch out in front of the fireplace, and sit out in the hot tub for hours on end. The cabin was clean. The full kitchen would be great if we were staying for longer. Be aware that the wi-fi is spotty. Sometimes there would be service and sometimes not. There was NO cell service, but you can make nationwide calls on the land line. My only complaint would be that the beds are super hard.

We had drinks and appetizers Friday night, played pool and threw darts in the saloon. Food was fast and tasty. Saturday morning we had breakfast in the restaurant. We were the only table and service was a bit slow. Food was pretty good, normal breakfast fare, although you could get elk sausage which is different, (we didn't find it that tasty, was bland for "sausage" and tasted more like a burger patty). Saturday we drove into town, went in some of the shops and grabbed dinner in town. The drive is not bad, 15 miles through the mountains is beautiful. We even had snow flurries Saturday night on our way back to the cabin.

Overall, we had a great, romantic weekend away from the city. I believe that we would go back again.

(We stayed 1/31-2/2/14)