“Unique and Magical Night in the Cavern Suite”

Grand Canyon Caverns Inn
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I stumbled on the opportunity to sleep underground in the cavern suite while researching our trip to Arizona and immediately knew we had to do it. The cost was pretty steep, but I think it was worth it as it will definitely be something our family will remember forever. Our hosts were waiting for our arrival and after a warm welcome we were taken down to our suite. The chef prepared a fabulous meal for us, which we ate in the suite. Then we were given a private tour of the caverns and a briefing for our night's stay. And then...we were alone. I don't think I have ever felt more removed from the rest of the world. The cave is completely dry and doesn't have any living creatures or creepy crawlies in it. Our 8 year old daughter loved it and wasn't the least bit scared, even when we turned out all the lights.

The room is actually built on a rather large platform above the cavern floor. Now, keep in mind you are staying in a cave - the price tag of the "suite" does not mean you are getting 5-star luxury. There are two beds that the Inn claims are queen-sized, and a king-sized pull-out couch. The beds are actually pretty small so I think they are fulls at best. I ended up sleeping on the couch with my daughter, which wasn't very comfortable at all, but show me a sleeper sofa that is and I will show you a very nice bridge I have for sale.

There is a flat screen TV with a VHS and DVD player along with a number of movies to choose from (no cable). Complimentary candy bars, snacks, and microwave popcorn were provided (and a microwave to cook it with). The mini-fridge was stocked with complimentary sodas and bottles of water and there was also a coffee maker. The small bathroom has running water and includes a shower. And I can't forget to mention the large console record player - I loved blasting Ferde Grofé's Grand Canyon Suite no matter how cheesy the idea.

In the morning we were served a made-to-order breakfast and enjoyed eating it while the first few tours of the morning walked by.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank JRF-WS

Reviewed 17 August 2011

I loved it, my wife hated it. To her it was grubby and something out of the set for psycho before he kills his victim up the hill.

To be serious the motel is as it was from the1960's and needs upgrading for today's standards. Maybe it is a protected buiding I ask?

The rooms were clean but the furnishings were as it was years ago. It''s a really interesting place to stop over with the dry Caverns just up the road.

The whole Carverns Inn needs money spent on it., it could really be a profitable buy if
re -developed but keeping the 1960's theme, being on Route 66.

The swimming pool we did not use because of the big ants that may have eaten you if you laid out around the pool.

The bar area needs some tender loving care but is cheap, which probably encourages the locals to visit which caused some friction because of the bad language being heard. The bar staff were very sorry about this but what could they do? It was great to see the cowboys, with what I would call the true american. And there was also some local Indians from a nearby tribe who were great to talk to.

There was a lot of Americans passing through who were very friendly and loved the Brits.

Food in the Caverns restaurant is not provided after 7pm and only a pizza is available at the Motel, so you could go hungry if you arrive late. No Breakfast at the motel as well, which I think they ought to consider because of the remoteness. There is a shop though to buy cereal breakfast. etc and you can get breakfast up the road in the Caverns restaurant.

Staff were friendly enough.

I would visit again no problem, my wife definately not, as it is at present.

When we went on the Grand Canyon jeep ride which is well worth doing, our driver was a bit surprised though we were staying there. I felt he wanted to tell us something secret about it but did not like to! Also it was never "13 miles" up the road from Peach Springs which we were advised when asking for directions. Read into this as you feel. I thought it was a really interesting place.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin186220
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The room was simple and appeared to be clean. Its location is about 70 minutes from a side canyon to the Grand Canyon. There is not much else near this place so if you like to be away from large cities, then this is the place!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are pretty basic.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We have mixed feeling about this place. At first we were a little shocked that it was the original "motel" from the 60's. Our room was OK - still very 60's - but that is the look they are going for. I do hope they will get rid of the cigarette smoke smell that was very present in that non-smoking room.

There is need for replacing of some of the furnished just because they are not sturdy and the tub and floor needs some attention.

The concept is great and the nostalgia is great! They offered many things like bike riding, telescope use, horseback riding, etc. but I felt as though they weren't really proud of these offerings. No information provided in the rooms or easy to discover information about the things.

The restaurant was not my favorite - smelled like greasy food. Food varied, and since it is the only one there - you are forced to eat there. Nice gift shop - the people were nice, but something was just off at this place...can't put my finger on it. I don't think I would recommend this one. The caverns were nice.

Room Tip: Eat at the Indian Spa place in Peach Springs
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank seniorx
Reviewed 10 June 2011

What a fun adventure we had at the Grand Canyon Caverns Inn! It is a blend of the "Old West", exploring the Caverns, and the nostalgia of the Historic Route 66. On the Cavern Tour, the elevator takes you down 21-stories beneath the earth to a HUGE Cavern, 220 feet below. On this well-light & easy-to-walk path, you explore unusual rock formations through a series of tunnels connecting each cavern opening with the help of a knowledgeable guide. After the regular tour, my boys LOVED the Extreme Caving tour where you need to crawl through tight spaces to explore the new openings they recently found 280 feet below the surface.
We loved the old west theme especially with the Horseback riding for only $35 per hour. Our family had a guided Horseback tour for the hour with a REAL Cowboy named Jimmy, who shared stories of how he has been a cowboy all his life. The views on the ride where beautiful and enjoyed all the wildflowers in bloom.
The hotel staff where so nice and helpful. They even let our group of families have a Bon-fire up at the RV Park to roast marshmallows for our Smores. The stars are so unbelievably clear out there.
The hotel room was clean and well kept, just large enough for our family of four to fit comfortably. The hotel room has everything you need: coffee maker, cable TV, iron, blow dryer etc.
I highly recommend anyone traveling on Highway 40 on their way to the Grand Canyon to stop for the night at the Caverns Inn and enjoy an adventure in the old west on the Historic Route 66.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank J-9Lopez
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The motel was OK for a "vintage" stop, but better old motels were available 22 miles east in Seligman, and just a few minutes west was a very nice new motel.
The restaurant was all there was in the area, offering a buffet, and a menu. The dinner buffet had been high price, low quality, so the next morning we asked the lady at the counter for a menu. She asked the cook who looked at us as he told her< "Hell No!"
The cave bragged about accessibility w/ elevator. They did not tell you about the steep up and down ramps and steps once you were down there. Nor did the guide wait for elderly or a family w/ small children.
IF you stay here, make a reservation. No discounts were available on their "walk-in-rate"

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 66wanderlust2011
Reviewed 7 June 2011

First of all, understand that this is an older motel, though they have done some upgrades. Nadine greeted us at the counter when we arrived and she was so down to earth and friendly! We immediately liked her. She put us in Room 38 which was clean, had good AC, hot water, and comfortable beds (and linens). It's not a Hilton, but it doesn't claim to be....you stay here for the Route 66 experience. And yes, we were on our way to Supai, and this is about the closest you can get.

Internet service was available in the lobby, which is separate building from the motel units...and it was free and open. I couldn't quite get the signal in the room. Cell phone service was available, but a bit weak in the room. It was fine outside, a bit closer to the road. Tip: free internet is also available a mile away at the Grand Canyon Caverns Restaurant, where the caverns tour starts.

All in all, a no frills and pleasant stay. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
#7 of 7 in Seligman
Hualapai Ranch
Hualapai Ranch
#1 of 3 in Peach Springs

Been to Grand Canyon Caverns Inn? Share your experiences!