“What a blast.... A must do for everyone”

Hualapai River Runners
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One Day White Water Rafting Begin to explore the Grand Canyon walls over the white water rapids of the Colorado River. Hike up to Travertine Falls, a natural waterfall, with your experienced guide. Hear about the history and culture of the Hualapai people. Look for local wildlife while enjoying lunch along the banks of the river. Continue through the Grand Canyon on a smooth water ride viewing the towering canyon from a unique perspective. Complete your adventure with a helicopter flight up to the top of Grand Canyon West, home of the Skywalk. Rafts depart from Peach Springs, Arizona on Historic Route 66 from the Hualapai Lodge and ground transportation returns you to Peach Springs. All this in just one day! 2-Day Paddle Rafting The 2-Day Paddle Rafting Trip is a weekend only excursion that will ramp off at Diamond Creek RM 225 at 8: 00 a.m. Designated stops will be held at Travertine Falls, Separation, and camping at Spencer Canyon. This trip will include lunch, dinner, breakfast and assorted snacks for paddle rafters. Operational hours will begin at Sunrise to Sunset. Cost is $650 per person and must be 12+ years of age. No additional services included.
Green Bay, WI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a blast.... A must do for everyone”
Reviewed 17 August 2008

We had a complete blast. There isn't much more to say that the other positive people have already stated. We had a great, warm day for this. The ride was awesome and the guides were so friendly. Our guide was very informative about the entire area, talking to us and explaining everything from scorpions and snakes to the minerals in the rocks. I would do it again in a minute.

1 Thank bagereau

OCALA
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“A Trip For Forever !”
Reviewed 13 August 2008

This was one of my wish list items. I shared it with my daughter and 3 granddaughters. The Lodge was clean, friendly and most above, excited for us. The Lodge restuaruant was GREAT food and FUN staff, and GREAT prices. Best to share food. They are healthy servings. We had the BEST bus driver to and from the river..CRAZY MARY!!!!!She was safe, fun, and lots of laughs. On the return trip,we seen a large dust storm, and with limited rainfall in Az., It came while we were there. We got to see flash flooding. Mary was safe ,yet, clearly she knew what she was doing, We ended up singing Proud Mary keep on Rolling. Our River Runner, Jackson, Micheal, to be exact, was informative and eager to share his customs, stories, cultures, and beliefs with us. Icing on the cake. He had his daughter with him and she was just as charming.We had to wait about an hour to get on the helicopter up. Seemed a little unfair to slip in the other tour groups in ahead of us. We also paid' The porta potty was out of order there. So, some had to go behind rocks or slip back into the water . We had 5 in our group,which included 2 teenage girls. They weren't too gung-ho on the trip, until they seen the 3 U.K. Hunks who went with us. They're still talking about them. You never know when God will Bless You. Right? Would we do it again? IN A HEART BEAT !!!!!

Madison, NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“If the Stars Align... a great experience”
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I have to write a review on this rafting trip as I was nervous about this adventure before we did it with our kids ages 15, 13 and 8 in April 2008. Eight is the minimum age for the rafting and we had never been before.

I'm glad I read the Trip Advisor reviews before we went so that when the woman at the Hulapai Lodge Front Desk ignored me at 10:00 p.m. when we arrived after traveling 13 hours to be standing there, I was prepared! The room was nothing fancy, but adequate and worth it to be at the same place that the trip departed from early the next morning.

The hour ride on the bumpy school bus down to the canyon was a little nutty, but added to the overall fun when you have kids.

We loved our day on the river. The water hitting us was cold but it was bearable. I really think this is one of those experiences that under the right conditions can be great, but if the weather doesn't cooperate can be a disasterous day - it's a gamble.

Fortunately for us the weather was perfect and we felt like we were really experiencing the Grand Canyon at its core - full of beauty and history. In addition to the other stops, our driver pulled over at a sand bar and my kids got to stand and play in the middle of the Colorado River!!!

We did get to ride the helicopter out. Would have been so disappointed if that didn't happen. Again it's a risk you take when you pay for this trip. We didn't think the ride back to the lodge from the landing place was so bad. It took less than two hours.

The only suggested improvement I have is that the boats seemed like they could have made it easier to hold on. For experienced rafters this I'm sure is a tame ride, but for families with kids, holes cut into plywood along the back and metal handles on the sides seemed the minimum you could do. What about straps that you could put your hand through? And our driver did not give us very much information on what to do if we fell out of the boat. But he did tell us stories of boats that had flipped in the past.

After we did the River Runners we drove over to the South Rim and did the canyon from the top for a few days. We hiked down the Bright Angel Trail to the first water stop. Attended a ranger talk at night (which was a great overview) and had dinner at El Tovar one night. We were unable to stay at El Tovar when we tried to book it 6 months earlier. If I did it again we'd want to stay there. The Best Western near the park was okay. The breakfast room was the most depressing eating arrangement we've ever experienced! Mass production dining at it's worst.

1 Thank deebik5
U.S.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“You've gotta be into it”
Reviewed 5 June 2008

Despite the fact that everyone gets soaked to the skin with 45-degree water, and that our helicopter ride out never materialized due to their poor planning, this rafting was well worth it to see the majesty of the canyon up close. Like in your face close. The guides know what they're doing. Bring hat and sunglasses, both with straps, in addition to a raincoat.

1 Thank bergdoc
Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Long, but decent day”
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Our day started out with the bus trip to the bottom of the canyon. Our bus driver was very nice and told us some history about different areas on the way down to the bottom. She explained what was ahead of us for the day and what we needed to do when we got to the bottom. Getting fitted for the life jackets was easy and we were given group #'s. Our group was group 1 with a guide named Gary who was a great guide and really a joy to spend the day with. The stop at the waterfall was very pretty and I didn't feel rushed while there at all like some of the prior reviews had stated. The rapids were fun, but I was a little disappointed that in all I think we only went through about 3 rapids, I was expecting more. After lunch was all smooth water and it was really hot outside so even though the water was only 45 degrees, in really hot water it is very refreshing. It did get very windy towards the end of the trip and there was question if the helicopter would be able to pick us up, but it worked out that they were able to. When we got to the landing pad for the helicopter it was very unorganized and nobody seemed to know what to do or when they were supposed to get on the helicopter. The ride in the helicopter was very short, but for me who does not like flying to begin with, I found it to be pretty scary. However, in total the trip was a lot of fun and I would recommend doing it. The only negative about the trip was the long trip back to the hotel (2 hours in an old school bus on dirt roads) and the few rapids that you go through. However, the rapids are perfect for first timers.