“once upon a time...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pearce
Overland Park, Kansas
“once upon a time...”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

In the late 1970s I spent many weeks at the Sunglow Ranch. I was a counselor / guide in a therapeutic wilderness program for "at -risk" adolescents and the folks who had first developed the ranch as a guest retreat, wonderfully allowed our groups to camp on the back acerage at the edge of the national forest. I also have fond memories of sitting around many a camp fire with Archie Smith the then already ancient cowboy who had lived his entire life on the property. I recall those stories and that land as if it were yesterday. ( OK well, maybe last month...)

I am fascinated by the pictures on the web site and the comments from more recent guests. I don't know when we can get there from Kansas, but I WILL return. And I want my wife to experience the beautiful location that was once so much a part of my life. (still is...) Best of all, I am already fanticizing of being there with those memories and NOT having to sleep in a small tent with two others, NOT cooking everything over a wood fire, NOT bathing in a stock tank, and NOT always having to act like a mature & totally responsible adult in from of a bunch of impressionable adolescents! (Kids who participated in that program are now in their 30s & 40s and have established an alumni facebook page reconnecting youth and former "Chiefs." I will share with them your web link.) Gary Bachman

Room Tip: the web site apparently requires a date and some rating in order to accept my comments (inspite of...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary B
SunglowManagement, General Manager at Sunglow Ranch - Arizona Guest Ranch and Resort, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Gary,
Thank you! You're very kind to write--enjoyed your reminiscing very much. How can we reach out to the alumni group? We look forward to welcoming you back to this unique corner of Arizona. Please let me know how I can help you make this possible!

brooks@sunglowranch.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Bisbee, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2013

A year ago we were to have my father's 80th birthday celebration at Sunglow. This particular location was to be very meaningful as my father was born in the Chiricahua Mountains and his birth certificate actually has the location as Sunglow. I had called and talked with Mr. Bradbury over 6 months in advance. We had also exchanged email messages with the understanding there would be 50 plus people attending. I though it was pretty much set. About a month before the date, I called, the person who answered could not find the reservation, but told me to call back when Mr. Bradbury would be there. I called and emailed to confirm and the final reply I received 2 weeks before I had 70 guests coming from out of town and out of state was that Mr. Bradbury was sorry, but they had another group coming that day and they could not accommodate that many guests. I was devastated! Fortunately a restaurant in Sierra Vista stepped up and put on a wonderful buffet for my father's celebration. I do not recommend Sunglow for any special events at least while Mr. Bradbury is in charge.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cheryl T
SunglowManagement, General Manager at Sunglow Ranch - Arizona Guest Ranch and Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear Cheryl,
Thanks for taking the time to express your thoughts. We are disappointed as well that we were unable to accommodate your group last year and delighted to learn that all worked out with another larger venue.

As our space is quite limited there simply are dining groups that are too large for Sunglow Ranch. Different from a free-standing restaurant we must always ensure that our lodging guests are well looked after.

With this in mind, we would be pleased to have you experience Sunglow Ranch as our guests! We would be delighted to provide you and your father with a very warm welcome.

Yours sincerely,

Montrose, Pa
Reviewed 23 August 2013

When we arrived at the ranch, Andrea came out to greet us. She showed us around, and to our casita, the Casa Grande. The casita was beautifully decorated, and had every amenity you could ask for. From our private patio we had a great view of the mountains. My neice and I went horseback riding, and had the opportunity to meet Bucky. He was our wrangler, and showed us a great time. He was funny and informative. We had a great ride.
We went to the Cafe for our dinner, and was met by our server Lisa. She was so charming and accomodating, we just loved her. The food that Miriam prepared for us was out of this world. She is such a talented chef, we felt very lucky indeed to have her make our meals for us. Everything we had to eat while we were there, was over the top delicious. For one of our meals we had the pleasure of being served by Camile. She was equally friendly, and accomodating.
The resort manger Brooks, was so friendly, and genuinely eager to show us a great time. I was so impressed with the dedication eveyone had, to making sure we had a great and memorable stay. Each night at dinner in the Cafe, Andrea was there, making sure everything went smoothly, and that everyone was enjoying their dining experience. Brooks even helped out at breakfast one morning,getting more champagne for us. I was really amazed at how hard everyone was working on our behalf.
The location of the ranch and the scenery are not to be missed. The pool area, the fire pit, and the chiminea sitting area were all beautiful, with not a blade of grass out of place.
In case it's not already evident, we loved the Sunglow Ranch!! I am going to be making plans for a return trip soon. This place is not to be missed!!

Room Tip: We had the Casa Grande, with the adjoining bunk room. The beds were so comfortable, it was very qui...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Proeland,
It was a joy to have you with us! Thank you for taking the time to write and let others know about Sunglow Ranch, and thank you for specifically recognizing some of our talented staff members. I agree they are all very deserving of praise! Please let us know when we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back one day. On behalf of our whole team, we hope a little Sunglow magic stays with you always.

Direct Office Telephone: 520.824.3334
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is one of the most memorable places I have been to. The staff, service, and food was excellent. Brooks greeted us the moment we arrived. We were served cocktails on the patio prior to dinner every night. We asked to sit on the very peaceful patio adjacent to the dining room for each of our meals. The server, Camille (I think) arranged everything. All the meals were perfect and prepared to the dietary needs we asked for. All meals were delicious. The service was excellent with Brooks, Camille, Adriann, and Mariam (Chef). The horseback ride was wonderful through the beautiful ranch and forest. Everyone was so helpful with getting on and off the horses. Adriann gave us a very informative ride with careful attention to the fact that we were novice riders. She gave us a grand tour of the ranch.
The casitas type room was spacious and very quiet and peaceful. I loved the beautiful mornings with a gorgeous sunrise and the lovely view of the ranch, mountains, and forest. The horses were there every morning to greet me when I came out the backdoor of the casitas.

Room Tip: The Burro room is very spacious with two queen beds in a bedroom with a seating area in a separate r...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JackandJill_11
Dear Jack and Jill,
We loved helping you create some good memories here, and seeing you enjoy Sunglow Ranch made us so proud to have you as our guests. Please let us know whenever your plans include a return visit to the Chiricahua Mountains. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back!

Warm wishes and grateful thanks from all of us at Sunglow Ranch,

Direct Office Telephone: 520.824.3334
Bisbee, AZ
Reviewed 27 July 2013

First erase any image you have of a dude ranch, instead replace that image with these Sunglow facts: Each Casita exhibits details only fine craftsman can achieve. From the stonework, trim, murals and design this luxurious resort is a true 'find'.

I took 9 guests with me, we enjoyed the best service anyone could hope to receive. From the coffee and morning refreshments to the fabulous lunch, we were well cared for and had a thoroughly delightful time.

Did I mention equestrian fun? Mountain biking? A pool fit for a Hollywood screen? The list of amenities is lengthy and yet one must hasten to discuss the cuisine. It is divine.

The staff treated us with cheerfulness and professionalism, they are exceptionally well trained. Can't wait to return....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AKinAZ
SunglowManagement, General Manager at Sunglow Ranch - Arizona Guest Ranch and Resort, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Dear AK,
We will always endeavor to live up to your high praise and these fine accolades. Thank you! We were delighted and honored to host your group's meeting, and proud to work with you.

Sunglow Ranch provides an ideal setting for small executive retreats and just the right atmosphere to produce superb results. We fell that the ranch's privacy and great lack of distraction, combined with outdoor activities and an attentive staff add up to a very conducive off-property meeting venue.

Until next time,

Pearce, Arizona
Direct: 520.824.3334
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Sunglow Ranch is a destination my husband Rich and I look forward to visiting at least once a year. We never cease to be amazed at the impeccably kept grounds and the majestic panorama that surrounds it. We’ve stayed in a couple of the casitas and have enjoyed all of them equally. Each is uniquely appointed yet all bespeak an elegant simplicity fitting for the idyllic setting. The staff are warm and welcoming – willing to attend to any needs and respectful of privacy. On this occasion, Brooks and his wife Susan had been unexpectedly called away yet on the table in our room was a thoughtful handwritten note welcoming us and extending his regret at not being available. In his absence, Andrea provided a most hospitable welcoming and remained attentive throughout our stay. As casual guests you can imagine how impressed we were by the gesture!

The breakfast and dinner selections are gourmet quality and the dining room staff is top notch. On this occasion we had the treat of experiencing a winemaker’s dinner hosted by the nearby Lawrence Dunham Vineyards. The wine and food pairings were absolutely amazing and Peggy and Curt shared stories of their journey into winemaking and exuded the passion for their craft. The dinner extended well into the evening and although it was a long day for the kitchen and dining room staff, breakfast the next morning betrayed no evidence of a quick turnaround. The staff was as fresh, energetic and hospitable as always and the food selection and quality was first rate.

Whether your stay involves doing any of the many outdoor activities offered nearby, motoring off on a day trip or simply relaxing on the property, you always leave wishing your stay were longer... and you will long to return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vsdArizona
Dear VSD AZ,
Thank you for your kind words for Andrea and our talented staff! I can tell you from working with them each day, they are very deserving of your high praise. So glad you were able to participate in the Lawrence Dunham Vineyard winemaker's dinner.

We long to see you again!

Direct: 520.824.3334
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This is one Western resort that packs in exactly what one would expect from a secluded stay in the desert while offering touches of charm and hospitality - like what a guest at the Cartwrights would have expected had they had a chance to ride into a modern day stay on Bonanza, only with vineyards nearby instead of cattle ranches! As soon as we arrived, we were warmly greeted by Andrea who was serving as manager for the weekend and did an outstanding job at hostessing. She showed us around to the large pool and hot tub, fire pit and conversation area as well as the dining room before leading us to our accommodations - a two room unit complete with sitting room equipped with refrigerator and sampling of nuts, raisins and beverages.

A few crisp robes were hanging in the closet which came in handy for the departing the pool as the day was a good 20+ degees less than when we departed the Phoenix area - a delightful and unexpected respite from the heat. And the air was so fresh and clear - I kept taking nice deep breaths to get it all in! It was so refreshing to spend a night with windows open to the night air - great sleeping weather, a pleasure after the 5 course wine-paired dinner which was hosted by neighboring vineyard owners who manufacture the Lawrence Dunham line of whites and reds and showed us around for a tour of their property, three miles down the road the following day after an equally extensive breakfast (sans the wine pairing, but the juice selection was a fine substitute!). Returning to the ranch, we were happy to meet Andrea's charming husband Bucky who led us on an hours path through the plush greenery surrounding the acres of the ranch, telling us tales of the history of the land and his transplanted cowboy history. Freshly baked cookies and assorted hot and cold beverages awaited us upon our return where we wish we could have remained longer ensconsed in a secluded area away from modern trappings, surrounded by the beauty of Cochise county and friendliness of the Sunglow Ranch staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sueRN
Dear SueRN,
We will always endeavor to live up to your wonderful accolades! I know Andrea was so touched by your kind recounting of her service and efforts during your stay. I agree that she is very talented and capable. Thank you for recognizing Andrea. (Her husband Bucky, our one-of-a-kind wrangler has been riding a little taller in the saddle now that he has been described as "charming"!)

Warm regards and grateful thanks from all of us at Sunglow Ranch,

brooks@sunglowranch.com

Been to Sunglow Ranch - Arizona Guest Ranch and Resort? Share your experiences!