“Descent Place. Bad Entry Experience.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, Peoria
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Peoria
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stayed here as an IHG Member using points for a suite for two nights. The hotel overall is a great place and great location.

The reception asked me if I was staying one night. I said two. The Reward system required me to book each night separately (This is what I was told by IHG on the phone). The reception then tells me because they are booked as two separate nights I would have to check out and check in again the next day. I said why? Because they are two separate bookings. I said they are for the exact same suite, why would I have to check out and in. She tells me because they are booked full.
I'm trying to figure out what difference that makes. I booked months ago, the exact same room. She still insisted on me checking out and in the next day while I kept asking 'why' and getting no clear reason. I told her to write a note for the staff to do that and I don't need to come back and this is completely ridiculous. I was finally given the go ahead to check in.
I never returned to check out and in but my door cards had expired and I had to come back to get them reset. I'm normally easy going but get frustrated when a lack of common sense creates unnecessary frustration.

If I'm to check out and in again does that mean I'm likely not getting the room I booked for the second night. Am I going to have to move our luggage? Do I have to check out before check out tome and wait until check in time? Are they going to change the sheets? This is how ridiculous the idea of checking out and in is. No one that stays two nights checks out and in. Use common sense and be solution oriented.

The room was fine. The fan in the bathroom was at the point of seizing. It will likely burn out soon. In the meantime it is a loud humming noise until it can force itself to start turning. The pull out couch is missing several springs at the end of the bed and if sat on will push right through. The shower drain is very slow to drain. I didn't lose sleep over these items but a quick observation by maintenance or housekeeping would avoid these.

Breakfast is great. Good food and good selection. Large comfortable seating area. The staff lady running breakfast lacks conscientiousness. Both mornings I had to ask for forks and bowls and other items that weren't stocked. The second morning my daughter went into the storage cupboard to get forks (now that I knew where they were) because the same staff lady was having a relaxing chat with the front desk. Very slow to replenish food items that were out. The garbage both days was so full I couldn't put anything in it.

I think this is a great hotel but some staff need some direction. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express near Seattle days before this and their staff did circles around this one in Peoria.

Overall, an decently average stay despite the entry.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank itzmoi
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, Peoria, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear itzmoi,

Thank you for being an IHG Club Rewards member and for writing us a review. It is great to hear that the breakfast served during your stay lived up to your expectations. However, I would like to apologize for the difficulties you had experienced at check-in. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the services we offer to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here when house hunting. The staff was nice and facilities good. We met our Realtor in the lobby/lounge and the staff was helpful in letting us work. Would definitely recommend to family and friends who visit.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were only here for one night, had a suite with a 2nd room with pull out sofa/bed, micro and fridge. Room was well kept, seemed up to date, not worn at all. Staff very nice at check in, breakfast is in a nice room right off the lobby, standard breakfast selection - eggs, sausage pattie, pancakes, toast, dry cereals, fruit, etc.
Only thing I felt was missing was possibly a hot cereal, since it was February. Easy access to Rte 101, shopping and dining very accessible to hotel, Cracker Barrel right next door for those who wish an easy choice.
This was first time I've stayed at this location, I visit area at least 4 times a year, will be coming back to this location on my next trip vs. other choices in the area. Great value for the price I paid.

Room Tip: Ask for rates for Suite 304, has bedroom and sitting room combo, very spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I always stay at Holiday Inn express and have done so at this one twice. Clean and comfortable. Fresh cookies in the evening. Morning breakfast is good and they are quick to make more when needed. There is also a Cracker Barrel right next door.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Generally consistent with most other Holiday Inn Express properties where I've stayed. Friendly, helpful staff. A nice quiet, good nights' sleep. No loud housekeepers first thing in the morning was a plus. Linens were a little shopworn.

Room Tip: Backside of top floors away from elevator probably quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HummerBob
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Negotiated prices for Baseball teams but even that rate is too high for this very tired facility. Item for a major renovation. Free breakfast served, but out in the lobby and selection not so great. Room smelled horrible upon check-in, carpet tired, dirty, curtains and hardware falling apart, air conditioning could be better especially since its 115 degrees. Very tiny bathroom space, bedding run down and bed is very uncomfortable. Two double beds, not two queen beds. Just paid less than half is price for two queen beds. Definitely would not be somewhere I would like to stay again. Again this isn't a luxury vacation and I wasn't expecting a resort type hotel, but this is definitely ready for a complete renovation. Staff was courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, Peoria, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Dear Paula P,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. I have taken note of your valuable comments and would share these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 June 2013

If you need a place to stay for 1 or a few nights, with a good breakfast, this is the place. The room and furnishings are very comfortable, the employees are all friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was better than most at similar places. Overall this is a great value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends