“Always Wonderful”

ZenYard Uptown Inn
Ranked #1 of 14 Phoenix B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This was my third stay at the lovely Zen Yard. It will hopefully be one of many many more. Every time I have been here I have felt welcome and surrounded by caring efficient people and nourishing rejuvenating surroundings. I have always had a reason that brought me to Phoenix, but I can well imagine that one day I will come just to stay at Zen Yard. It is truly a fantastic retreat!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Eddie was charming, Sheri was friendly and a great omelet cook, the bed was comfy and the rooms very clean. However, while the decor was cute, the very old, stained bathtub was not. Using pliers to turn on the air is rather inconvenient. They did provide an extension cord for the hairdryer since there are no outlets in the bathroom. And the roof leaks. We told Sheri about it but she seemed to think it perfectly normal to place buckets around on the floor. At least it didn't leak over the bed.

I do understand that it rarely rains there, but rain it did and with no gutters it was impossible to walk between the buildings without the water pouring on our heads.

Great parking. The pool looked lovely.

Room Tip: If it's raining, stay in the house, not the cowboy shack.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Julie L
zenyard, Owner at ZenYard Uptown Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thanks for staying with us!

You are definitely right about not raining much here... every hard rain usually reveals a new spot that can be cracked and dried out from the sun especially on our flat roofs like the Cowboy Casita. When it rains in the desert it pours and comes down hard, bound to be wet in places we didn't expect. We have resurfaced the roof so hopefully the next blast doesn't find its way inside ;-)

Glad everything was clean and you were able to sleep well and had a great breakfast with us. We are getting new knobs for the AC unit from someone taking them off and not sure why that would happen.. lol The casita was built in the 60's so I think the bathroom is a place where no one ever imagined having an outlet in there, we are having a GFI put in to help accommodate some of the appliances necessary when traveling.

Hope you can come back and see the changes in the future!

;-)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at the ZenYard Guest House for four nights in late February and early March because I had come to Phoenix to watch spring training baseball. It's a charming, casual place to stay with the best hosts. Rooms are tastefully done and beds are quite comfortable. The property is quiet and, well, zen. It's a great place to come back and relax after a busy day of baseball and sightseeing. A full homemade breakfast is offered, which is a great way to start the day. I stayed in the Sedona room for three nights which offers a private patio and the Tucson room for one night. Eddie was great at offering suggestions for nearby restaurants, and he's friendly conversationalist. All in all, I would return to ZenYard again and again and again.

Room Tip: If you don't mind a shared bath, the Sedona Room offers a nice private patio
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2014

ZenYard is a great stay! The location is in a safe area for you and your car, close to the main drag for going into downtown or leaving the city for other adventures. We had the Sedona room, which has a small deck area attached to the room-it was perfect for enjoying the cool evenings with a glass of wine! The hosts are great people and the atmosphere is peaceful and relaxing. We will definitely use this as our spot when returning to the Phoenix area.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights while visiting his family who lives in Phoenix. We booked the Flagstaff room. This room a bit smaller than some of the others and is in the same building in the back in which the Jerome room is. It was very quiet and comfortable there. The attached bathroom was big and has a very large step in shower, but no fan. We just kept the bathroom window open which also kept the air circulating throughout the room.
Zenyard has total of four rooms and one "Cowboy Casita" which has a kitchenette and separate sleeping and living areas. The cowboy casita is the only room which has a TV. The other rooms do not have TV to keep an ambience of rest and peace. The two rooms in the main house (the Tucson and Sedona rooms) have a shared bathroom.
There is a small pool and a hot tub in the front yard. Pool towels and sunscreen are provided.
Breakfast is from 0730 to 0900am. There are cereal, OJ, baked goods, jam, yogurt and hard boiled eggs as well as coffee. When Sherri is working (she is off on Tuesdays), she will also make you eggs, waffles, bacon or sausage for breakfast. Breakfast is around one communal table.
Our room had a small fridge in it which is great for keeping snacks and beverages. In the communal area in the main house, where breakfast is served, there is also an area where you can buy beverages including wine.
Zenyard is in a central location, close to SR 51, and has its own off street parking. Look for the rainbow flag in front of the driveway; its right across Madison National Academy (a school).
After you make your reservation, and a few days before you arrive, check your e-mail for the code you will need to get into the building and into your room. My e-mail ended up in my "junk" inbox so be sure you check there, too.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We arrived at the guest house mid afternoon and were personally greeted by Eric who proceeded to show us over the common areas of the property and through to our room. We stayed in the Jerome room which had a lovely feel to it, and despite there being no TV, my husband did manage to survive our 3 nights there! The room had an ample sized ensuite however it did take us a couple of go's to master getting the water temperature right in the shower. Breakfast was wonderful, bacon and eggs were freshly cooked by the lovely Sheri and there were plenty of other items to choose from as well like fresh fruit, pastries and cereal. Wi-Fi was free, reliable and fast and we appreciated the convenience of the honesty bar in the common room where you could purchase soda, beer & wine at an extremely reasonable cost. Unfortunately we did not have the time or the weather to enjoy the pool or hot tubs during our stay but this area looked most inviting. ZenYard gardens are not perfectly manicured, rather they are an eclectic collection of water features, ornaments, plants, trees and bird feeders frequented by hummingbirds, which creates a peaceful ambience for guests to enjoy - you would never know you are in the middle of suburbia. There are several good restaurants nearby, it is a reasonably close to the airport and we found the location a good base for out of town drives to Sedona and the Apache Trail. If you are looking for an alternative to the usual boring hotel room, then give ZenYard a try.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dubers
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I usually like to venture off the beaten path and discover a bed and breakfast while traveling. I was attending a tanning seminar in Phoenix and although they recommended staying at a local hotel .. I decided to research B&B's in Phoenix. Upon arrival, my husband and I were greeted by Dale and Eddie ... two amazingly wonderful owners. The property is so cute ... loved all the little nooks and crannies the property contained. We found our room, The Flagstaff, nestled way in the back ... perfect for me !!! The property was surrounded with grapefruit trees which we were invited to pick as many as we liked !! We took home 3 bags of grapefruits !!! The bed was VERY comfy ... the shower was amazing !!! Was PLEASANTLY surprised when we got to our room and found NO TV !!! At first I was a bit concerned living in the year 2014 !!! But ~ realizing that my husband of 28 years and I did not need a TV at all ... we found it most pleasant not to have one !!!! This B&B is perfect !!! Wouldn't change one single thing !!! Thank you Dale (yup I remember which one you are !!!) and Eddie for a wonderful stay at your property !!!

Room Tip: I loved the Flagstaff room because it was located in the back of the property ~ no one had any reaso...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DeniseandLazaro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Central City
FOUND:RE Phoenix
FOUND:RE Phoenix
#1 of 174 in Phoenix
Gainey Suites Hotel
#6 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to ZenYard Uptown Inn? Share your experiences!