“Absolutely love it!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Mesa
“Absolutely love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Can't wait to go back. Everything was wonderful! Small oasis in the middle of a busy world. Peaceful and relaxing, beautifully decorated. Places to relax everywhere, inside and out. This bed and breakfast is well worth it. They have a continental breakfast and for a small fee you can have a large breakfast, well worth the money. Honor system on supplies, snacks, and drinks.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lavadamoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Kingsville, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Michael was there to greet me and my friend, which was great. He showed us around and was very hospitable. However, the owners never came to the property, or said hello. I'm new to bed and breakfasts but the previous ones I've stayed at felt more homey and inviting than this one. There were cameras everywhere, which I understand for security purposes, but it felt like I was intruding.

Then there's the way they charged me for staying. The price is good, however there is a a card charge for booking a room, but the only way to pay is with a credit card. Also, they charged me half right after I booked (okay, I was fine with that) but then a few days before I even arrived, they charged the remaining half. Every other hotel, motel, even bed and breakfast I have stayed at left me pay when I checked out. It just felt like they wanted my money rather than make my stay at comfortable as I believe a bed and breakfast could be.

Also, due to unforeseen circumstances I had to leave a day early, I emailed them about it but never received an answer to if I could get my second day's money back, or at least some of it. Michael told me while at breakfast (which if you want a hot breakfast is a separate charge) that the owners told him I couldn't receive a refund of any kind. He was apologetic and very nice the whole time, I'm just disappointed in my stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

5 Thank Alejandra G
zenyard, Owner at ZenYard Guest House, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Wow we are disappointed too, and not sure what was not homey about the stay, we try to make everything as comfortable as possible for everyone who stays with us.

Our policies for payments are pretty clear and upfront, there is a 50% deposit and the remaining balance is due 3 days prior to arrival. This has worked well for everyone not having to worry about money when they arrive as it is already taken care of. The credit card fees are shown for covering the cost of collecting credit card payments, however, we did correspond with you prior about paying cash when you arrive and refunding the entire amount (including fees) instead. You didn't mention it again and we are sorry we didn't ask you about it to follow up as we would if we had any idea you weren't happy with that arrangement.

The cameras are in the common space of the main house and in the parking area to be able to monitor activities and maintain a safe environment, we never intended them to have you feel like you are intruding.

We actually are not in the common spaces very much in order to allow our guests to enjoy the property and the house. Actually many have described staying as a feeling of house sitting for a friend. Most have told us they feel safer in an environment like ours with a more comfortable feeling of having a home away from home.

We are sorry you had to leave early and couldn't stay the entire length of the time you reserved. Michael did let us know that you needed to return early to take care of personal matters at home that caused you to cut your trip short. It is always disappointing when that happens, sorry your roommate had an unexpected eviction causing you to rush back to recover his belongings. We hope everything worked out and he found a new place to be more stable at.

We do offer a full continental breakfast that is explained as best we can for everyone, and is a part of the reason we have the lowest prices possible which I'm glad you were happy with the cost of the room. Many of our guests don't need or want a full breakfast so they take advantage of the many options (including Gluten Free scones and cereals) with Coffee, teas and juices, yogurts, breads, pastries and fresh fruits like you did.

We do have low cost cooked breakfast options which seems to work well for everyone considering most breakfasts will cost twice as much going out. Also, those not desiring to choose more don't have to pay extra in the room cost for it. Our breakfast host is always available every morning to keep things fresh and serve the extras for you at your convenience.

We are truly sorry for your disappointment and the unfortunate disruption of your trip and the stay with us, we would have hoped and wanted better for you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

If only I could find the words to describe how amazingly wonderfully breath-taking the stay at the Zen Yard was (I'm not afraid to try.) I could hardly bring myself to leave. If serenity and clarity seem like fairly foreign to your vocabulary drop by and just see yourself - learn a thing or two.

Eddie and Dale are always very friendly and warm concerning any questions - take advantage of the early check-in or late check-out. While I may not have had the opportunity to check out the pool I'm definitely coming back for my next stay.

Thank you for an amazing first time AirBnB experience!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Casa Grande, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Being last minute we call the Zen Yard and hoped for a room. We got in and had the place to ourselves. which was very relaxing, took a swim and nap before our event that evening. Just like being home but, home is 50 miles south and didn't have to drive after a couple. It's just so well situated in town, great pivot point to anything in city. Nice cold breakfast with boiled eggs, baked goods from family recipes, fruit, Cold, cold OJ, We had our sparkling wine. We had everything!

Thanks Guys and Sherrie for making it Safe and relaxing stay in Phoenix. We will see you again!

Room Tip: the rooms in the main house have a shared bathroom but, they do have rooms with private baths on oth...
Green Features: Green green. Saving water, solar water heating, small educational signs are around so you remember to not waste water.

Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Arrived hot and bothered.....not for long! Greeted witha large smile, firm handshakes and a lo vely room. Couldnt wait to try out the pool and hot tub!
Breakfast was super, fresh fruit, home made scones and lemon curd! Sherri u are great!
Will deffo stay again if ever we in town, well done guys!

Room Tip: All are great!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

One of the best bed and breakfast we have ever been to. Clean and comfortable and fairly priced. There was wood floor in the room and walk in shower. You know how you normally do not want to take your shoes off in hotels because the carpet is nasty? Here you want to leave your shoes by the door just like at home to keep the place as nice as you got it.

No TV in the room, but there is good internet connection. (We only watch netflix anyway.) The doors are operated with Schlage combination locks. We did not have time to enjoy the pool, but it looked nice and well maintained.

We payed $6 extra for full breakfast and it was totally worth it. We used the freezer in the common area for our icepacks.

The owners are very nice people. You cannot go wrong with ZenYard.

Room Tip: We stayed in Flagstaff, we heard Jerome is most popular.
Green Features: They qualified for silver level. It is nice to know that they are doing their part on all fronts.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I travelled to Arizona and spent a week between Phoenix, Tucson, the Grand Canyon, and Prescott. Our last stop was at the ZenYard guest house and it was a wonderful place to finish the trip. Throughout the week, we were awestruck by the absence of natural shade in the desert landscape. However the property here is a true oasis. There are fruit trees around every corner and shaded patio areas attached to nearly every nook and cranny. The (salt water) pool area feels like an exotic spa when it is lit up at night. The hosts are welcoming and gave us a helpful tour of the property. There's a convenient common lobby area that is open and available 24/7, along with the pool. We stayed in the Flagstaff room and enjoyed the privacy of being in one of the rooms at the back of the property. It is also, however, one of the furthest rooms from the pool so FYI. We had our own private bathroom outfitted with a very nice walk-in shower. The Paul Mitchell hair products in the shower are a nice luxury as well. I noticed my hair still smelled of tea tree oil when I got home and it was lovely.
The bed was soft and clean. The size of the room was generous. I love the fact that there are no tv's on the property. It's gives the whole place a relaxing/healing/spa-like atmosphere.
We didn't get to stay for breakfast because we had an early flight out the next morning but if we make it back to Phoenix someday, we definitely plan on returning to the ZenYard guest house.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple