“Views”

and up
Small-Group Tour: Deluxe Phoenix and Scottsdale Day Trip
Ranked #8 of 230 things to do in Phoenix
More attraction details
Owner description: This, the largest municipal park in the world, is a popular hiking, biking and horseback riding trail area.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had sometime in an afternoon to kill so I decided to drive to South Mountain Park and was very surprised. Didn't know what to expect from the view but was impressed of the view and scenes of the Valley. Took the drive all the way to the top and went to tv antenna side to see the south side of the mountain. Only issue is all the bikes that use the road because of the traffic and sometimes because of turns you can't see them coming. Other than that a quick scenic trip.

1  Thank WhoEric
There are newer reviews for South Mountain Park

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Many hiking & biking trails. Also, the drive up to the lookout is spectacular! If you hike go early and be done before the heat of the day. Bring lots of water and a hiking buddy

Reviewed 25 July 2014

If you are looking to explore the outdoors in Arizona there's no better place than South Mountain Park. With over 1,600 miles of trails you can hike, bike or horseback ride along a variety of trails for every experience level.

My daughter and I love to take our bikes over for an invigorating trail ride. Some of the trails are wide and others are narrow so keep an eye out for other explorers. Also make sure to take plenty of water because even the easy trails can give you a workout.

When riding you have to keep a look out for holes in the trail as the rain can wash out sections causing voids in the trail. Also get there early because the parking fills up early and the sun can get hot.

You'll want to pick up a trail map so you can figure out what trail you want to try. Once you find the trail it's relatively easy to follow and experience the beauty of South Mountain.

1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 18 July 2014

On Saturday, my son took us on an outing to South Mountain. Initially, I was excited about going but then as we travelled up the mountain, I became to get very nauseated. I could not wait to reach our destination. Of course, it was extremely hot and that definitely did not help me with the nauseated feeling. Once we arrived at the top of the mountain, we got out to walk around the area. It was another memorable moment in life. They have a manmade lookout shelter that I really admired. I went inside the shelter to lookout over the city. Inside the shelter, there was a cool breeze and an area to sit, take photos, and reflect; which contributed to that, "Amazing Moment on South Mountain." Just in case you are in the Phoenix area, drive or take a tour up to South Mountain so that you too can have an, "Amazing Moment!"

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We love a quick ride over to SMP. It is close, lots of different views, built by the CCC and provides one of the best lookouts in PHX. Huge fan