“Great Location In Downtown Phoenix”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel San Carlos

Hotel San Carlos
Ranked #94 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
az
“Great Location In Downtown Phoenix”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed at the hotel because our daughter was playing in the 2011 Volleyball Festival at the Phoenix Convention Center.

The location was outstanding. Easy access off of Interstates 10 and 17 to the property. The hotel is a short three block walk to the Phoenix Convention Center where the tournament was being held. There is a Metro Light Rail stop right outside the front door of this hotel.

Staff was friendly and courteous!.

Food at the hotel was great and well priced. I had a hamburger special for just $6.00 one afternoon. Happy hour at the bar was great - the coldest beer I have had in a while (it was 155 one afternoon - we needed to cool off!).

It is an historical property, so understand it is not a brand new Marriott. But give it a try and you'll enjoy it - we did!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Angela H, General Manager at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this review, 6 September 2016
Dear Guest ,
We are pleased to see we have met your standards. Thank you for your honest feedback and we hope to see you in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Korean first
Cairns
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

We booked our accommodation online direct through the hotel and it was 1 nights stay including a cocktail and breakfast and airport pickup. Firstly I have to say, we went to watch a NBA Phoenix Suns game and the location to that was great. We walked there and around town easily. Thats about it though... When we arrived in and called to let them know we were here and to find out where the bus would pick us up - no-one answered the phone. We didn't think it was far (which it wasn't) from the airport so caught a cab. Got there early and the room was ready which was great. The room was quaint but the novelty wore off when it took about 30min for the water in the shower to go from freezing to luke warm where it stayed and we also couldn't get the heat in the room working. It is an old building, was winter and after my cold shower I needed heat! We also didn't get any information or vouchers for the cocktail, breakfast or wifi so went to reception to ask. The receptionist told us he would send them up. They never arrived... The next morning we wandered through the restaurant & snoop at what the free breakfast was and decided not to chase our vouchers again, we just left and ate at the airport. Maybe if you are into the old style charm of the place stay or want something on the cheaper side in town this is for you but if you want any type of comfort - give it a miss.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsLatts
hotelsancarlos202, Director of Sales at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
I am sorry but I am confused about the date you wrote your review for the Hotel San Carlos. The review was reported in June 2011 and yet you stated that your stay was in Feb 2011.
We offered at that time a pickup at the airport for and extra charge and with advance reservations. The heating is still by radior being a histrorcial hotel in the Phoenix downtown aera. The vouchers for the compimentary breakfast included: coffee or tea & your choice of a plain or cheese omelet, pastry or breakfast sandwich, The old world charm of Hotel San Carlos is that of the 1928 era. With star like Marilyn Morroe, Mae West, Spencer Tracey,
Ingrid Bergman to name a few. We are in walking distance of the NBA Phoenix Suns games, and other entertainment in the downtown distric.

Travellers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Charming historic hotel right downtown. Sports, arts, shopping, great dinning and nightlife are all within easy walking distance, plus it's right on the light rail line.
The hotel staff was substandard with maybe one or two exceptions. The rooms are anything but soundproof although that's not a surprise for a vintage hotel like the San Carlos. Still the dismal front desk service and somewhat noisy rooms at night are not enough to keep us from returning for future stays.
Our lone tip would be to skip the hotel's complimentary breakfast and afternoon cocktail but do check out the rooftop pool & deck.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZONATRVLRS
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your honest feedback. Since your last visit , we took your review and improved upon it.
Bergen, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

We have been on a roadtrip in California, Nevada and Arizona. This hotel is our worst ecperience. We booked this hotel, like all of our hotels, through a travel agent earlier this year and we were supposed to stay here for two nights. We leaved after 2 hours!

The room was small, looked old and smelled horrible. It was obvious that the room had not been cleaned, because we found dead cockroaches on the floor next to our bed.

The bathroom was also very small and definetely needs an update! If you want to take a shower, you have to shower in either ice cold water og extremely hot water.

We booked another hotel in Phoenix, Radisson Hotel Phoenix City Center, and we were very pleased with that.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CilleM
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, it has been noted and improved upon since your last visit.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2011

If you are looking for a good nights sleep, then DO NOT stay here. If you are weak on nerves when it comes to things that go bump in the night, then DO NOT stay here. Both of these statements are something I wish I would have heard prior to making a reservation! I read somewhere that there "supposedly" was the ghost of a woman who was dressed up that would be seen by men before vanishing. I even asked the staff while I was booking the room and Vanessa told me that she had seen nothing more than a moving chandelier...moving chandeliers I can handle. I booked the room and headed to AZ.

The lobby is pretty and the "moving chandelier" is beautiful if you are into chandeliers. The elevator and hallways are reminiscent of Hollywood days gone by. The room I had was small and the bathroom was barely big enough to turn around in, not to mention the shower that seriously shouldn't even be called a shower! The water was lukewarm and your arms could barely shampoo your hair without hitting the walls of the shower.

Parking was an issue as it was either valet at $20, self-parking at $15 and 3 blocks away or temporary parking (short term) for $10!

The free internet may be free, but it is impossible to get connected and stay connected long enough to do more than sign on before you loose the signal. Vanessa at the front desk looked irritated when I went down to ask about it and she told me it "just does that and just keep connecting and disconnecting and you will get it." Nice customer service.

I was exhausted after a flight in and running around, so I just wanted to get a good nights sleep as I had an important business engagement the next morning. Not familiar with the layout of the room I decided to turn off 2 of the 3 bulbs on the light in the bathroom above the sink and push the door half way shut so it created some light if I needed to get up. Well, a little while after putting my head on the pillow the bathroom light went completely out and of course I thought to myself "sure I had to leave on the one bulb that burnt out", but I was too tired to get up and turn one of the others back on so I stayed in bed. Within 15 minutes while lying in the pitch black room I heard the bathroom door close shut, now not yet worried I rationalized it by saying to myself that I had turned on the ceiling fan and it closed because of the airflow. Good huh, sounded logical. As I was beginning to drift off to sleep right above my head something hit the wooden headboard and it was a solid hit something like I imagined the ring of a super bowl champion hitting the wood would make. Ok, so now I am getting pretty creeped out, but I was too scared to really even move, so I just pulled the covers up to my shoulders until I fell asleep. At 1:37 am I was startled out of my sleep as I felt the heavy comforter and sheets being pulled so tightly around my body that my arms could not move. I wanted to fight but I could not move and I actually gasped for air before they loosened. Now I know you are probably thinking that I rolled over on the covers and created the tension myself, but trust me I did not! Something was pinning me under the covers long enough to wake me up. By this time I was so scared that I did want to move a muscle and prayed that I would just fall back asleep. As I was lying in the darkness hoping that morning light would hit soon in the pitch black my cell phone turned on and I could hear the numbers being dialed like it was on the speaker portion of the phone...this was interesting because my phone was turned off when I put it in my purse before I went to bed. Now I was so creeped out that I knew I was never going back to sleep and I did get out of bed and as a grown woman I turned on every light in the room and left them on. The things that happened with the lights on were that the bulbs a couple of time got very bright and glowed for a little bit...more than what a power surge would create. The last incident for the night, with the lights still on was that I heard a strange sound like a bubbling or gurgling and then a quick moan in a woman's tone.

When I checked in I asked for a quiet room and certainly between whatever was going on from the spirit world to the people above me with a crying child it was far from quiet. Needless to say the walls are thin with sound protection because I could hear the parents conversation and the child kept banging something all morning while I was getting ready to leave.

Another Vanessa at the front desk blamed me when I complained saying that I should have known about the ghosts as it was "all over" their web site and it was written up. The next day I went to their web site and I am sorry, but I did not see it "all over the place"; as a matter of fact I had to dig to find it even referenced.

Back to the parking - when I parked in the $15 parking I had to take a ticket to raise the bar to enter. I asked what I was to do with it as the hotel was charging me on my bill I was told nothing, that the voucher the hotel gave me to put on my dashboard would take care of it and they would let me out. The front desk took the parking garage ticket. When I went to leave the parking garage a man with a heavy perhaps Russian accent asked me for the ticket and when I told him I did not have it he started yelling at me and demanded it. I asked if he could please call the hotel to verify they had it and he just continued to yell at me. I thought he was going to make me pay again before I could leave. I insisted I did not have it and the attendant shoved a ton of papers in my face and made me fill them all out; including information on the rental car I was driving, which I did not know and then he FINALLY raised the bar and let me leave.

I called the hotel back and spoke to Kenny at the front desk and he was worse than Vanessa the day prior and shoved me into the hotel managers voice mail. Who knows if the manager will ever call me back.

So...to sum it all up the property in my own opinion is over-rated for its "beauty" and under rated for spirit! I for one would never stay there again and could not recommend it to even a ghost enthusiast as the room are too spendy and short on comfort!

Room Tip: Stay at another property!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank scardicat
hotelsancarlos202, Director of Sales at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
We are listed on several websites as a haunted hotel 1 being our own.We are list as the 3rd haunted hotel in the USA. We do not alway have active such as you wrote in the review. We offer Ghost Tours 3 months out of the year and are doing ghost tour the first Friday of each month until October. We are a historcial hotel dating back to 1928 and have housed may stars such as Mae West, Marilyn Morroe, Spencer Tracey, Ingrid Bergman to name a few. In 1976 Hollywood hornored us with the walk of gold stars. The rooms are boutiqe with the ambiance of Italian renaissance inspired architecture with rare antiques and fine artwork throughout the hotel to the unique rooftop swimming pool and sundeck. The experience of old world elegance meets modern day convenience .
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

First, I would like to state, the staff was great, very nice and sympathetic. This is a great place if one is travelling for pleasure and you prefer to bathe rather than shower. Every time someone in the hotel flushes the toliet or turns on the water, the shower becomes SCALDING hot, I was constantly adjusting the temperature to adjust to the extreme changes. If the shower was the only issue I would give a higher rating; however, the internet issues were atrocious. I was attending a conference at the Hyatt and due to company restrictions could not stay so we decided to stay across the street at the San Carlos. We arrived on Sunday and could not get an internet connection until I returned home. We actually had to "borrow" wifi from Arizona State and even that was iffy. Another guest mentioned she had to sit in the stairwell in order to get a signal. My colleague and I carried our laptops to S'bucks, Subway and the Irish pub next door so we could work. It was horrible. I would only recommend if the hotel updated their plumbing, wireless and cleaned the carpet more frequently. Oh, one more thing, if you decide to stay, bring earplugs; you can hear EVERYTHING from the rooms next door.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LMT1113
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

Great view of the city from the pool/deck area, train outside the door. Staff so helpful and fun, Our room was so right, a bit of someplace else, imagination and care went into and has stayed at this hotel. Make sure to visit the other floors, surprises of previous guest.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annerich1
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your honest feedback , we look forward to seeing you again soon!