Hotel San Carlos
US$120
US$96
Drury Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport(Phoenix)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$179
US$584
US$415
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmarilyn monroeirish pub next doorrooftop poolheart of downtowngreat downtown locationlight railmodern hotelenjoyed my stayice machinepsychoarena
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 January 2013

My husband and I enjoyed staying here from the historic aspects of the hotel. To sit in the pool and imagine the old-time celebrities that enjoyed the hotel was fun. Things were simpler back then, and the scale of the hotel pool and rooms reflects that. But, for us, it was nice to take a glimpse back to that more innocent time. Granted, you can hear everything through the paper-thin walls, but... aside from that, we enjoyed our stay. It was cozy, but clean.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Angela H, Manager at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Hotel San Carlos guest – I’m glad to hear you had a pleasant stay while you were here. You are perfectly correct on the historic aspects of the hotel. The walls are thin and pick up on the city noise but we are located in the heart of downtown Phoenix and can be expected in any major city. With that said though I’m glad it wasn’t a deterrent for your stay. It’s great that you had a chance to enjoy the pool and sit back and relax to, like you said, a more innocent time. We hope to see you here again! And safe travels wherever you end up next!

Reviewed 21 January 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE! Just don’t – this was the worst night of my entire life. First off, I just want to say that I can understand that it’s an older hotel and there are quirks that will come with it. I was okay with the wireless not working very well in our room; I was okay with how small the bathroom was, and I was reluctantly okay with the lack of air conditioning in the room. BUT I am NOT okay with being up until 2:40 in the morning with a marathon to complete in that day! The club downstairs blasted music so loud you could hear it in our room on the third floor. Between the room being a sizzling 90 degrees and this music going all night – we literally debated packing up and going to sleep in the car. When my husband called down to ask what the hell the music was still doing on at 2am they just blew it off and said nobody else was complaining and why didn’t we call earlier to let them know about the noise. I have never in my life stayed at a place that had absolutely no regard for their guests like that – there are marathon athletes trying to complete in the morning and we CANNOT run with no sleep the night before. I got the card for the general manager and called just earlier today to discuss getting a refund for my room and she blew me off saying “well you got the cheapest room, what did you expect…” I just read someone’s review on here that is saying basically the same thing as me and they are 100% right – this place was a nightmare.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here....
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Sarah C

Based on our conversation we last had I am again sorry for your unpleasant stay at the hotel. I tried to understand where your reservation came from to resolve your dissatisfaction and I also understand your point of view and the fact that you were so upset. I remembered offering you potential solutions at the time but we had a problem with communication. Please know that I am sincerely sorry.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed here with some colleagues for a conference in March 2012, and did not have a great experience. Granted, there were 4 of us in the room, so, had the circumstances been different, it may have been better.

Pros:
Proximity to Convention Center and restaurants
Neat history and character
Clean

Cons:
Rooms and bathrooms are TINY
Hot water would run out almost immediately even for the 1st person taking a shower
Pool deck seemed unused and is mostly covered, so it isn't really somewhere you can get sun

This hotel would have been ok for a more casual stay, but it didn't really provide the opportunity for relaxation and peace of mind that I prefer during stressful conferences.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Angela H, Manager at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Thank you for being a guest of ours during your recent conference. Our deepest apologies for the circumstances you were in thus creating not the best experience during your stay. I would suggest coming back in the summer when the shade over the pool is a nice break from the sun! I hope the New Year brings relaxation and peace of mind to you and we would be honored to have you back as a guest – this time for leisure not business!

Reviewed 23 November 2012

Most reviews I've read on here are spot on. The rooms are small and the showers get really hot without warning. With that aside, there were a lot of small charms about the place. The rooftop pool was very updated, the furniture was fantastic, the only downfall was because of the surrounding buildings it didn't get much sun. The service was great, I can't sleep without a fan and they dug one up for me from somewhere. The rooms have a bed, a tv, a small desk and that's it. No refrigerator. Walls were really thin. Parking was not included and added up quickly. Loved the location, downtown Phoenix is adorable. We had booked this hotel as a spur of the moment choice, so our expectations weren't that high. Would probably return for a lower price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leahmig4
Angela H, Manager at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Dear guest of the Hotel San Carlos: It’s always nice to get away on a whim and we thank you for giving us a try while in town. It sounds like overall you had a pleasant visit with us and around Phoenix. It is adorable, isn’t it? Take care and thanks again!

Reviewed 7 November 2012

A small old hotel right in the middle of downtown Phoenix. Location is great for downtown. Clean rooms but very dated. Our bathroom required a new suite and we had to wedge the shower to stop it from falling down. The roof pool was very refreshing with a nice seating area. Free Wi-Fi and the staff were helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

We thank you so much for staying with us while you were in town. My sincerest apologies for the bathroom situation you ran into. I’m glad you brought this to your attention and that we were able to get you into another suite but again my deepest apologies to put you through that on your trip. Our intentions are to keep everything original and/or refurbish to go with our historic presence but I’m very sorry to hear about situations like this and work with my maintenance staff who work on preventative maintenance as much as they can. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Hope you had a wonderful trip and see you next time!